Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MNR loom & Fog light switch
Krismc

posted on 6/2/09 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
MNR loom & Fog light switch

Does any one know what colours are what at the fog switch??

Ive a 2006 Chassis No 40 vortx, fog lights have never worked, and im busy fitting savage switches to the car.

Replaced the fan switch and that works fine but the fog is blowing fuses.

Red/yellow and a black at the fog light. and black, red/yellow, red/yellow and another colour (which ive forgot) at the switch.

.....oh and im a electrician(apparently), but without knowing what is what it may take a while to trace out, so i thought id ask first.

tomgregory2000

posted on 6/2/09 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
i dont know if this will help you as i only have 3 wires to my fog switch but i had o problem of blowing fuses and worked out that it was all to do with my red and red/yellow wires were round the wrong way and shorting out down the earth wire for the telltail light on the switch and so swapping the red and red/yellow wires round sorted the problem.

Tommy

bassett

posted on 7/2/09 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
red black and red orange(listed as red yellow but i think it looks orangey) with a black from the fan for the illumination earth and the red orange from switch to positive illumination from what i remember. I havent actually got mine to work either and its how it came out the bag but the rad fan worked instanty.
Adam

[Edited on 7/2/09 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

Krismc

posted on 8/2/09 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was prewired and didnt work- why didnt they do a wiring diagram or in the list put the wiring colours to say what is what- instead of just 22. fog, 23 fan....really helpful

i cant swap the red/yellow(or orange) as they are linked together.

[Edited on 8/2/09 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

bassett

posted on 8/2/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds same as mine Krismc nothing happens so i might have to re wire it. Asked Marc for a wiring diagram but he doesnt do the wiring so asked martin griffin who makes the loom but he doesnt have on he makes it to MNRs request so there is no diagram - great!

Gergely

posted on 9/2/09 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Ours seems to work. Just got it working this weekend.
The fog light only works when the position lights are switched on, so ensure that you try it when you have those on.
I can't remember the colours now...
Gergely

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bassett

posted on 9/2/09 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Gergley that may be my problem as the side lights arent in yet but it still would be nice to get a wiring diagram as its a right pain understanding the notes epecially with savage switches and hazard/indicators!
Adam

neilj37

posted on 9/2/09 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
If i can find the wiring details for my MNR i can pdf them too you.
stuart_g

posted on 9/2/09 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
The digram should help you out.

The red/black is the power feed to the fog switch and becomes live when the side lights are on.

The two red/yellow wires: one is the power feed to the fog light only live when the fog switch is on. The other short loop is the feed to the fog switch illumination bulb (so it is only illuminated when fog switch is on).

Black is earth for the switch bulb.

The fog light end is self explanetry red/yellow to one side of bulb, black to other side of bulb.

I don't know the savage switch but I assume it has 4 connectors. If it only has 3 connectors leave off the red/yellow short spur as the wiring for this will be done inside the switch. You may need to use a multimeter to find out which contacts are which.

[Edited on 9/2/09 by stuart_g] Rescued attachment img007.jpg
Rescued attachment img007.jpg

Krismc

posted on 9/2/09 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
It has 8 connections acutually, but yea ill need to use four of them:- 1) com 2) N/O 3) +LED 4) -LED

Your image doesnt seem to show on my computer, and i didnt relise that the fog runs only off the side lights/main beam, as my mini cooper works with no lights on and even with the keys out and thats a 1996 model, so thought that would be normal.

Now i know how its supposed to be wired, that makes sense!

EDIT- you pic has now appeared.

[Edited on 9/2/09 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

stuart_g

posted on 9/2/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc
It has 8 connections acutually, but yea ill need to use four of them:- 1) com 2) N/O 3) +LED 4) -LED

Your image doesnt seem to show on my computer, and i didnt relise that the fog runs only off the side lights/main beam, as my mini cooper works with no lights on and even with the keys out and thats a 1996 model, so thought that would be normal.

Now i know how its supposed to be wired, that makes sense!

EDIT- you pic has now appeared.

[Edited on 9/2/09 by Krismc]

Aaahh... now you have listed the connectors I would wire it up as follows.

1, comm (common) connect to red/black
2, N/O ( normally open) connect to red/yellow that goes to the fog lamp.
3, +LED connect to the red/yellow spur.
4, -LED connect to black (earth)

Let me know how you get on.

Krismc

posted on 10/2/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
just been in garage today before i went to work and found its the savage switch that is faulty- you press the switch in fully and it makes the contact, as you leave go it latches ok and switch stays in but the contact drops off(internally).

wiring is now fine, just the switch that is damaged.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.