Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know the cost of an engine cradle for a blade engined in a locost (book) chassis?
mr henderson

posted on 20/5/09 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know the cost of an engine cradle for a blade engined in a locost (book) chassis?

All in the title, really, except to add that if anyone knows any other of the costs in converting to a Fireblade engine from a knackered crossflow, then me and my customer would be grateful to hear them

Thanks

John

tegwin

posted on 20/5/09 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Cradle materials?... £25... plus labour?

Propshaft?

Is the diff the right ratio?

Wiring loom alterations

New exhaust

Gear change mechanism?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Dangle_kt

posted on 20/5/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had a converstion done on mine (zectec on bike carbs) to fireblade.

Costs are:

Wiring
Cradle
Prop
Exhaust
New fuel pump?
Coolant hose diameter might need new hoses
airbox/new airfilter back plate if on pipercross or similar
throttle return mechanism
gear change linkage or cables etc
clutch cable needs beefing up
Centre bearing plate needs welding in place

bear in mind that sometimes the exhaust exits through the chassis rail, so it needs cutting a relocating.

Its quite an expensive process, sometimes I wish I'd kept the zectec for the time and hassel factor, but I havent driven it yet, so I;m sure I'll be chuffed once its done!

mr henderson

posted on 20/5/09 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies so far, still keen to see some actual numbers if anyone has got any. It's the cradle that's the real issue, I'd sooner buy one than fabricate it

John

TimC

posted on 20/5/09 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Cradle is £100 + vat from Aries.

andrewcutchey

posted on 20/5/09 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
madrallysport was advertising one on Pistonheads, might be worth PMing him.
mad-butcher

posted on 20/5/09 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
MK £105
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve Hignett

posted on 20/5/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Why?

How are you going to know if a cradle is going to fit a chassis that (whilst built to a set of plans presumably) could be not a standard size?

Cradle's are usually always between £100 - £150 if you rung any of the manufacturers, so if you wanted to buy one then fit it, but obviously the person owning the car could do that...

Obviously on top of getting the cradle is the engine positioning in that specific chassis. Also where the cradle itself fits in the chassis and prob most importantly, how it fits to the chassis.

Just don't understand why you would rather buy one than fabricate three or four pieces of box section together???

quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
Thanks for the replies so far, still keen to see some actual numbers if anyone has got any. It's the cradle that's the real issue, I'd sooner buy one than fabricate it

John

mr henderson

posted on 20/5/09 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Why?

How are you going to know if a cradle is going to fit a chassis that (whilst built to a set of plans presumably) could be not a standard size?

Well, it is an MK locost, so I should be alright on the dimensions.

quote:

Cradle's are usually always between £100 - £150 if you rung any of the manufacturers, so if you wanted to buy one then fit it, but obviously the person owning the car could do that...

No, he couldn't. That's why the car is in my workshop. It's what I do for a living, now, help people build their cars if they get stuck for one reason or another.

quote:

Obviously on top of getting the cradle is the engine positioning in that specific chassis. Also where the cradle itself fits in the chassis and prob most importantly, how it fits to the chassis.

Just don't understand why you would rather buy one than fabricate three or four pieces of box section together???

The cradles I've seen have been a little bit more elaborate than that. In any case, in effect he either pays me to do it, or buys a ready made one from someone who has already done it many times. So it makes sense to go with the ready made option.

As far as the might not fit bit goes, as long as it fits the engine I don't mind modifying it a bit to fit the chassis, if necessary

John

mad-butcher

posted on 22/5/09 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Think the only issue you may have john is height, the indy is 1" taller than std locost chassis so if using one of MK's the sump would sit lower than normal, so to get the sump ground clearance you would have to pack the top rail by 1" so you could have a bonnet clearance issue, but agree with your logic of buying one

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.