Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto problems, this should be easy!?!?
antwan

posted on 25/6/09 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto problems, this should be easy!?!?

Evening all, new to this game so apologies if I mess up and stick this message somewhere i shouldn't.

I have pinto issues. 2l standard 205 unit running dgav weber carb. I have never had the car set up professionally, I would like to think im not completely useless. Only just completed the car and had it running recently. ive set up the mixture and timing by ear in the garage and the car was running sweetly with plenty of power.

Thats the end of the good stuff. I got a little excited the other day and got it upto about 4500 revs in 1st, continued upto cruising speed and the car was kangerooing, smelling very hot, popping and farting out the exhaust (sounded great tho). Car will generally run fine upto 90degC then the anti stall keeps kicking in and the dam thing wont keep running and its rough as .....

Help. I have rebuilt the car with servicing kit, new inlet manifold gasket. No pressurising of the water, no water in oil, although some mysterious water marks down outside of engine block

mookaloid

posted on 25/6/09 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
what fuel pump are you using? it sounds like a bit of fuel starvation to me

Welcome to the madhouse by the way

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

MakeEverything

posted on 25/6/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like hot evaporating fuel to me? Not sure about the marks on the block.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

antwan

posted on 25/6/09 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi chaps, thanks for the response (and nice caravan).

The confusing thing about the fault is that is seemed to happen instantly, ie going from running very sweet to a back of bits in one gear change, and i wasnt being too rough. I have had a very similar problem with leaking jet o-rings prior to carb service which seemed to solve it. I will take a look tho. Do you think it could be head gasket or am i being a little pessimistic

wrigglypig

posted on 25/6/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome , it sounds just like the problem I had it took me ages to sort it.
My symptoms were - set off fast in first grab second and the hold on for the kangeroo ride, it would almost die clutch in let the revs dropand it would eventually come back to life. I thought of fuel surging in the tank, dirt in the float bowl blocking the main jet fuel cap not letting air in and vacuuming . Then I found it the previous owner had not put the 5mm thick spacer between the fuel pump and block so it was nt able to stroke fast enough ie the pushrod could not move its full travel. I fitted that and can take it to 4500 in every gear no probs anymore!

Kev

omega0684

posted on 25/6/09 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
blocked fuel filter causing fuel starvation?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
antwan

posted on 25/6/09 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
funny what some folk do. During my SVA test, my gear stick came off in my hand, that was pretty embarassing.
I am ruling out the carb now, it must be bullet proof. Ill start tracing the fuel through tomorrow

mookaloid

posted on 25/6/09 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
my first fuel pump just didn't supply enough fuel at higher revs after a while. it gradually got worse till it gave up. (ebay cheapie)

New good quality pump sorted the problem.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

britishtrident

posted on 26/6/09 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Two thoughts
(1)fuel starvation -- clean fuel lines back the tank and clean jets and float valve .
(2) Do you have an air filter fitted ? -- if not you will get a very weak mixture on the road.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

DarrenW

posted on 26/6/09 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
In my experience the Pinto is very robust and toerant to not being set up perfectly. This is good as it means the vast majority of problems are simple by nature.

Probs a good idea to go back to basics. Double check the static timing marks. You havent said if you are running a fast cam and vernier wheel, but we will assume the cam is OK. I will also assume the key way is present in crank pulley and it hasnt slipped to lose its timing.

I had problems at higher revs once under load (ie going up hill). Crap from drilling the tank when building (despite being very carefull) had found its way down the lines and partially blocked the filter. Slightly larger new filter from halfords cured that. Ive also had a neighbour that had huge problems with a vintge car - ultimately caused by using gasket seal for the tank sender, a bead broke off inside and was broken down by the fuel - big bit kept blocking fuel pick up and small bits found way into carb. Worth a check on these.

Fuel pump already mentioned. Spacer block for mechanical and check internal filters on electrics. I was in Mookaloids car when he had problems with his - strange effect but easy solution.

Ignition - what system are you running? I used std ford electronic at first. New dizzy, caps, rotor arms, ignition amplifier etc. Had 2 problems. Dizzy cap failure (carbon brush missing) and also the new aftermarket amplifier failed. Initially this only manifested itself when car warmed up, eventually failed for good. Replaced with 2nd hand OE unit and all was well again. I ultimately fitted megajolt.

Do you have a timing light with advance facility? If you do you can check what advance you have when the vac advance unit is all in (from memory around 3000 revs). I was advised to turn dizzy to get this advance point correct. Seemed to work well but i cant remember what the setting should be.

After that just make sure you dont have a plug or lead breaking down.

If all that fails to cure the problem id then be looking at the carb i guess.

antwan

posted on 26/6/09 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps,
Timing - I have checked using a strobe and set around 6deg although it seemed to run better around 8. I hadn't thought of the key in the pulley so i will make sure i tick that one off.
My initial thoughts due to very hot running were either excess air or limited fuel. I have had the carb off and on 3 times and have now replaced all gaskets and fuel filter but there did seem to be alot of black bits in the float chamber. I haven't found any since and have cleaned all jets. Just bought a new fuel filter which is a good shout I will let some out through the line without the filter to check for a good flow.
The electrics is where i start to struggle, I am a mech engineer by day so what i cannot see (or brake) is an issue! Electrics are std ford electronic. Also what is this amplifier item you speak about (like I say with electrics its very much monkey see monkey do).

I have saved all your comments down and i will go through one by one. Thanks all.

(Black and Cromed up Mac1 7R, looks almost as good still and it does moving!)

MikeRJ

posted on 26/6/09 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Vapour lock perhaps? Are all the fuel lines under the bonnet routed well away from the exhaust?
antwan

posted on 26/6/09 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mike,
Just been checking the fuel system. I have bought a new fuel filter with no effect. the filter has a transparent body and when I started the car I was expecting it to fill quite rapidly especially during choke. It didnt, it almost looked like it was being gravity filled only from the tank. Would this fill very quickly during normal operation. Next thing down the line is the mech fuel pump, I guess this could be buggered and supplying a very limited amount. The car desparately searches for revs with the antistall kicking in all the time. Could the car run (albeit badly) if the pump was on the way out??

Another point, the fuel in the tank is quite low, there is a high loop in the fuel line to dodge the gearbox before entering the fuel pump. Does the pump work on atmospheric pressure or even vacuum suction?

[Edited on 26/6/09 by antwan]

jacko

posted on 26/6/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Is the fuel tank vacuuming dose it have a air hole in the tank to let air in?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 26/6/09 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel filters in carb systems rarely fill entirely with fuel if mounted horizontally, since once the fuel level in the filter reaches the level of the exit pipe, there nowhere for any trapped air to go. They still work ok like this, though you aren't utilising the full area of the filter element.

Mechanical pumps should be able to pull a small head of fuel with no problems if working correctly, so your loop shouldn't be causing problems unless it's much higher than the pump.

Your symptoms do sound like fuel starvation, and a faulty mechanical pump is certainly a possibility.

antwan

posted on 27/6/09 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, just been down the scrap yards getting my hands dirty, I would appear im not the only one after a pump. The fuel tank does have a pipe to atmosphere. I am seriously suspecting the pump now. Any simple tests? If i take the pump off and test suction should i feel any obvious faults?

How critical is this spacer piece between the block and the pump?

jacko

posted on 27/6/09 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by antwan
Thanks chaps, just been down the scrap yards getting my hands dirty, I would appear im not the only one after a pump. The fuel tank does have a pipe to atmosphere. I am seriously suspecting the pump now. Any simple tests? If i take the pump off and test suction should i feel any obvious faults?

How critical is this spacer piece between the block and the pump?

Ford would not fit one if not needed

Where do you live [ Town ]
some one may have a pump you could try

[Edited on 27/6/09 by jacko]

antwan

posted on 3/7/09 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the delay, ive been away. Now tried everything I can think of. Im sourcing another carb as a mechanic tested the emissions and they would not stay steady and the choke mechanism is very tired. Thanks to all for the help!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.