Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone on here live down Bromley or South East London way? - where are the areas to avoid?
eznfrank

posted on 26/6/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone on here live down Bromley or South East London way? - where are the areas to avoid?

The department within the company I work is predominantly based in Bromley in SE London and there are far more opportunites down that way than there are for me in Leeds and going forward the opportunities within my specific career are nearly all London based.

So.......I'm considering making the move, I've looked and it's financially feasible but I'm not sure where we might want to live. I've had a few recommendations from people at work of the nice bits and where to avoid but thought I'd open it up to people on here and get their thoughts.

So, where do I avoid like the plague and are there any up and coming areas where I could invest and maybe nab a bargain?

I just checked out the map and there are quite a few Indy owners in that area

P.S. Anyone live in Catford? I once went for a quick spin down there from the Bromley Court Hotel (My second home!) and I thought I was going to get stabbed, however, there seems to be some nice houses coming up there??

[Edited on 26/6/09 by eznfrank]

whitestu

posted on 26/6/09 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
There are some rough areas in SE London, but mostly a lot better than the rough bits of Leeds.

I used to live in Eltham, which is just round the corner from Bromley and is OK, as are most of the areas nearby. It gets a bit rougher as you go further into London, like Catford.

There are lots of nice places in North Kent that are commutable.

Stu

James

posted on 26/6/09 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
It's not far from Caterham for a start!

Another plus point... you'll be able to come to the Newlands Corner meets near Guildford!

Don't think we have a BEC Indy do we?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Simon

posted on 26/6/09 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just outside Tunbridge Wells and could get to Bromley in about 35 minutes.

Lots of major arterial road into London from Kent. Depends on what you want and you budget.

Personally, I'd rather be out in the sticks than in our capital thanks very much!

ATB

Simon

jeffw

posted on 27/6/09 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I'm just outside Tunbridge Wells and could get to Bromley in about 35 minutes.

I live in Paddock Wood and drive into Docklands each day....around 1hr 10 on average. Certainly a lot of places are commutable to Bromley but remember it will be congested in the mornings so the 35mins mentioned becomes 50 mins in the rush hour(s)

mark chandler

posted on 27/6/09 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
And I am a tad further out at Wadhurst, train is £25 a day to central London, drive is 10 minutes on top of Simon's time.

Both villages have main line stations to the city.

Much nicer buying out in the country and a little cheaper.

JoelP

posted on 27/6/09 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
There are some rough areas in SE London, but mostly a lot better than the rough bits of Leeds.
Stu

How rough do you think leeds is?!

There's not an area in the city i wouldn't be happy walking through (in the day time at least!)

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Omni

posted on 27/6/09 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Check out Biggin Hill. Almost 0 crime, lovely area, property is a bit cheaper and Bromley is only 6/8 miles away or so

O

DM

posted on 27/6/09 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Im in SE London... traffic is a nightmare, takes me ages to get anywhere!

Not been stabbed tho

donut

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Biggin Hill, Caterham, Oxtead, Warlingham, Whyteleafe are nice but house prices are high.

Selsdon is ok but steer well clear of New Addington!

PM me if you have a location in mind and i'll tell you if it's ok. I live in Warlingham so know the area pretty well.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trextr7monkey

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Brother in law live sin Westerham which sems very nice- almost twee - but property prices seem very scary from my (northern) point of view
Good luck anyway

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

russbost

posted on 27/6/09 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Differences can be very localised, for instance Dartford is rough but Hextable is lovely only 3-4 miles apart, as people have said many. many nice bits of N Kent within a short drive, orpington is nice & Brands Hatch would be close!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
eznfrank

posted on 27/6/09 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers fellas. I'm off to Goodwood FOS next Friday so we're making a long weekend of it and going to have a bit of a nosey round some of the villages while were down there.

Biggin Hill, Tunbridge wells and Orpington are on my shortlist already as I have colleagues who live there and I've been before.

Thanks for the other recommendations I'll be sure to check them out.

Michael

posted on 27/6/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Im in Locksbottom nice area.

Ideal for the A&E run!

whitestu

posted on 27/6/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

How rough do you think leeds is?!

Sorry - it's been a few years [15 ish] since I left Yorkshire so maybe it's changed a lot.

Stu

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.