Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Digital SLRs
bassett

posted on 25/8/09 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Digital SLRs

Hi I've seen chat on here about SLR's in the past and now i have one im looking to get the most out of it without buying a book. Is there anywhere online with a good how to guide for beginners and getting the best photos?
Cheers
Adam

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

franky

posted on 25/8/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on the camera.... tom bonner has good books for most makes of camera.

What camera is it you've got?

nib1980

posted on 25/8/09 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
buy digital camera magazine everymonth, interesting read and very informative

I buy it

Have a look in my archive for some inspiration on photos (expensive cars folder)

or on my website

www.nb-photos.co.uk

crazykillerbunny

posted on 25/8/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
cameralabs.com

There are videos on how to use a DSLR. I found them really helpful.

Link

bassett

posted on 25/8/09 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've just bought a sony a200 as they had great reviews in the DSLR mags and as it is being replaced was the perfect price with loads of goodies thrown in. ideally looking for a web guide, good forums etc just to pick up the basics and get a book in the future once i know whats what then i can perfect what iam already doing.

MikeR

posted on 25/8/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest the best tip is to join your local photography club. Yeah there are bound to be some peeps in cardigans talking about the 1960's but you'll get a lot out of it.

I joined up with some peeps on facebook. Once a month or two we hire out a studio between us (usually less than a tenner) and have 4 hours with professional surroundings. You learn a lot from each other + one studio has offered to throw in lessons (i guess they're not busy + they get to keep an eye on us).

vinny1275

posted on 25/8/09 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Adam, the a200 is great as a starter camera (I've found, anyway).

1st tip is - most of the minolta AF lenses fit it (Sony bought minolta so the current cameras are the same family) and are generally cheaper than the sony ones.

2nd - I've got an ebook for how to setup the cameras and get the best of them - u2u me you email address and I'll send it to you.....

Cheers, and have fun

Vince

Liam

posted on 25/8/09 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
I started by basically googling stuff like 'introduction to digital slr photography'. Found tons of useful online guides to all the settings and techniques etc etc. Can't specifically remember any off the top of my head. Best though was a subscription to a couple of the DSLR mags. All generally come with a DVD full of interactive demos and videos etc etc. The content of these mags is essentially all the same and regurgitated in a cyclic fashion - within a year subscription you will pretty much get everything (different types of photography, RAW processing, photoshop techniques, HDR etc etc). All that really changes over time is the equipment reviews .

Haven't tried a club yet myself - no time, but would like to in the future. You can also go on a course for about £450 which will take you right from the very basics to making money from your photography.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gottabedone

posted on 25/8/09 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
One of the great things about Digi SLR's is that you can see your results immediately and at no extra cost. You can follow tutorials off the net such as YouTube practise/play with your camera and view the results while you play.
Also get a sturdy but lightweight tripod.

You would also be surprised what difference it makes having quality lenses instead of the lower end of the range. Have a look on the bay for these, it's not too much of a risk if you ask sensible and pointed questions!!

what are you interested in photographing?................careful how you answer that one

good luck and have fun

Steve

franky

posted on 25/8/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bassett
I've just bought a sony a200 as they had great reviews in the DSLR mags and as it is being replaced was the perfect price with loads of goodies thrown in. ideally looking for a web guide, good forums etc just to pick up the basics and get a book in the future once i know whats what then i can perfect what iam already doing.

Great choice, i've also got one of the sony Alpha range. I brought a tom bonner book with my a350 and its been a help, another forum worth looking at is talk photography.

Macbeast

posted on 25/8/09 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
A film SLR has a mirror, so in the viewfinder you see exactly what the lens sees. When you press the shutter release the mirror moves aside to expose the film.

Does a digital SLR have a mirror operating in the same way ? My non-SLR digital shows me exactly what the lens sees, but I suppose the drawback is it's not great when sunlight falls on the viewing screen.

bigpig

posted on 25/8/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
A film SLR has a mirror, so in the viewfinder you see exactly what the lens sees. When you press the shutter release the mirror moves aside to expose the film.

Does a digital SLR have a mirror operating in the same way ? My non-SLR digital shows me exactly what the lens sees, but I suppose the drawback is it's not great when sunlight falls on the viewing screen.

Yes, it behaves in the same way as a film SLR, just that the film is replaced with the CCD sensor.

The non SLR digitals just have a small playback display. Not bad these days, but certanly when using SWMBO's SLR its nothing in comparison to that.

bassett

posted on 26/8/09 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I missed this earlier but this website crazykillerbunny put up is very good for the beginner short but full of easy to digest info, i just need something to practice on now.
http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Latest_Features_and_Workshops.shtml

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.