Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: O/T Any ideas?
JeffHs

posted on 10/5/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
O/T Any ideas?

What ideas from the brains trust?

I'm taking out the old back wall of my house inside a new extension - new steels are in place to hold up the roof and I've removed all of the brick work above first floor level, so there's no weight left . I was expecting to find a 7 by 6 steel that would have been heavy but do-able to remove, but I've discovered a cast-in-situ concrete lintel. It must weigh about half a ton, it's 9 feet 6 inches long and 7 feet above a wooden floor.
Any locost ideas for getting it down without killing someone?

JoelP

posted on 10/5/10 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
assuming it really does weight 500-600kgs, its not a lift down by hand job no matter how many friends you get round. Gradually chocking it down to ground level is difficult with that weight. Assuming you can devise some way to lift each end, maybe pulleys or a jack supported on something, you might be able to do it. Bloody dangerous though, wouldnt fancy doing the risk assessment on it!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

tegwin

posted on 10/5/10 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Chisel and hammer..... remove the concrete and then chop the rebar away in pieces...

Or... if you can get some pallets... stack the pallets up and then chop either end of the beam away with a cutting disk and big hammer.... then lower it down one pallet at a time...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

snapper

posted on 10/5/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Acro jacks at regular intervals then Mattressess on the floor covered in scafold boards then gun out the lintle a bit at a time

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Puzzled

posted on 10/5/10 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Safest way to do this is ------- the hard way !!!! Demolition hammer, lots of time and effort ----- BE SAFE !!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.