Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: calling xflow experts. What cam
hypersonic

posted on 28/12/11 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
calling xflow experts. What cam

Hi all I'm Currently rebuilding my 1700 xflow. Does anyone know what cam will fit in without pocketing the pistons. I have been told a bcf2 will fit straight in but will a more wilder cam fit?

Matty

Paul Turner

posted on 28/12/11 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
While you are rebuilding it get the pistons valve cutouts made bigger, does not cost much and opens up a whole new world of camshafts. The Kent 234 is superb, good power up to 7000 and pulls like a train low down, idle perfect. The 244 pulls up to 7500 or more (I used 7800 limit when I had one), you loose a bit of low down grunt but the idle is still perfect.
hypersonic

posted on 28/12/11 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Paul do you know a rough cost of the machining. Where i work we have machining capabilities but wouldnt know how.much to machine out or exactly where to machine the pistons. Also the bottom end has been lightenend and balanced and i dont want to mess that up.
Paul Turner

posted on 28/12/11 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Easy on a cross flow, the existing valve cut outs just need making deeper, you will need to carry out a dummy build to ascertain the correct amount. Machining pistons will not upset balance providing you ensure they are balanced after machining. It may be simpler to take them somewhere where they have experience of cross flows and Kent cams.
MikeRJ

posted on 28/12/11 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
The BCF3 will fit without cut outs being required and gives very good power. It's probably about as far as you can go without modifying the pistons and still have a totally road friendly engine.

[Edited on 28/12/11 by MikeRJ]

clairetoo

posted on 28/12/11 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
As has allready been said , the Kent 244 is a very good cam - I ran one with bike throttle bodies and an old Omex 400 , it gave good power from tickover to a self imposed 8000 rpm limit (power was sill going up according to the rolling road when it hit the limiter....)

Valve cutouts are dead easy to do - I did my own , to clear larger valves and a decked block

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

needforspeed

posted on 28/12/11 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
as said cut outs and a 244 wont cost much but money well spent
hypersonic

posted on 28/12/11 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the good advice folks. Would it be worth me putting some 1300 pistons in to up the compression ratio while im at it.?
clairetoo

posted on 28/12/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hypersonic
Thanks for the good advice folks. Would it be worth me putting some 1300 pistons in to up the compression ratio while im at it.?

Oh yes
Allso - what size valves are you running , and how much head work has been done ? To get the best from a 244 bigger valves are a `must-have'

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

hypersonic

posted on 28/12/11 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Just splashed the cash! Ive just ordered a set of 130 0 pistons with deepend pockets, a vernier duplex, a 234 cam, head gasket and new 8mm leads.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.