Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - urgent advice ebay/paypal needed please
RedAvon

posted on 6/1/12 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
OT - urgent advice ebay/paypal needed please

My son sold a blackberry on ebay last night and posted it today after receiving paypal advice of funds recieved - after posting the parcel he had an ebay message saying the buyer was a fraud. The parcel only went at half 3 this afternoon and we've tried to stop it in Carlisle - its recorded delivery - but PO say that won't interfere - we've tried ebay and paypal and reported it to the police but no-one is willing to do anything.

Unless anyone in the IG11 area could intercept the parcel and sign for it for us?

Ian

Hellfire

posted on 6/1/12 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
So you've received the money for the phone and you've posted it out by recorded delivery. At this stage of the transaction, there has been no fraudulent activity, so I can understand why Paypal and the Police won't get involved............ Who sent you the message saying the buyer was a fraud? Does the buyer have any feedback?

Phil

[Edited on 6-1-12 by Hellfire]

karlak

posted on 6/1/12 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
So is the money still in your Paypal account. I would only deal with Paypal as they are your protection if anything does go bad.

Who was it in "ebay" that told you it was fraud ?

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

beaver34

posted on 6/1/12 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you sent it recorded before they emailed and told you it may be fraud then as long as you can prove you sent it to the address on eBay then they will pay you will not loose any money
RedAvon

posted on 6/1/12 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
unfortunately he was out sending the parcel and got the Ebay email when he got home - the money was never receieved as it was all a scam. the police have just been but they can't do much here as technically it is the Scottish police force and they can't ask the police in Cumbria to intervene.

the auction ended on ebay and they didnt contact us about the fraudulent buyer until about 18 hours after the auction ended - they then removed the listing and told us not to send the item

All we need to do is stop the parcel before it gets to Essex but keep drawing blanks.

thanks for the replies guys i couldnt think of anything else to do - he's a student and has just lost £300 to these scammers

Ian

karlak

posted on 6/1/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Is it worth calling the local Police station where you have sent the Parcel to ?

Have you googled the address you have sent it to, to see if it has any hits/history ?

Seems very strange for Scammers to have it sent to an address recorded. Normally they would not want a paper trail.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

stevec

posted on 6/1/12 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Selling mobile phones on ebay always seems to attract idiots of various kinds.
I feel for you being scammed and hope you get your phone back.

Its a bit late maybe for you but in ebay you can stop some of the knobheads by filtering who can bid on your stuff.
I have cut and pasted the instructions from ebay below.

To add buyer requirements to all of your listings:

Go to the Account tab in My eBay and select Site preferences.

Under Selling preferences, click Show next to Buyer requirements and then click Edit.

On the Buyer Requirements page, select your buyer requirements. For example, you might not want to do business with buyers who:

Don't have a PayPal account

Have unpaid items recorded on their account

Are registered in countries to which you don't post

Have reportedly breached eBay policies

Have a negative Feedback score

Are currently winning or have bought a large number of your items in the last 10 days

If you want to use these settings for all your listings, tick the box next to Apply above settings to current and future listings.

If you want to prevent blocked buyers from sending you questions about your listings, make sure that the box next to Do not allow blocked buyers to contact me is ticked.

Click Submit to save your requirements.

Hope this is useful.

Steve.

Dangle_kt

posted on 6/1/12 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
have you checked your paypal account? is the cash there?

Check the history, was it ever there?

Is it showing as a credit received?

If so I'd say paypal are in breach of their terms, as you acted on their advice (balance showing the credit) and sent it out. There is no rules saying you have to see the credit in your account and then wait X hours to see if they change their mind!

If it ever credited your account (check by downloading the history for the day in question - you get a .csv file which you can save to your computer) then I;d make it paypals problem.

If they try to stiff you, follow the process outlined on here - they are still subject to FSA

http://www.screw-paypal.com/international_pages/united_kingdom.html

If it turns out the credit never hit your balance, then its you lads fault for not checking, and he has to chalk it down to experience.

No royal mail employee will intervene, as you could be anyone

RedAvon

posted on 6/1/12 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much for all your helpful replies guys - it is appreciated.

The local police have contacted the London Met but i don't think it will be their highest priority at the weekend.

We've emailed the Scammer to say the police are aware and will be visiting the property suggesting he doesn't take delivery - which is our best hope now I think.

We're trying to track the item down to Essex and hope that we can get someone to intervene before delivery but this looks unlikely.

I'll let you all know the outcome.

Thanks again.
Cheers
Ian

robinj66

posted on 7/1/12 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I would also consider an urgent letter (Email is probably quicker) to Royal Mail explaining the circs and demanding that they do not deliver the item - add that if they do you will consider this to be participation in a fraudulent transaction. Might or might not get a response
plentywahalla

posted on 7/1/12 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I think you will find that a posted item becomes the property of the person to whom it is addressed the moment that you put it in a letterbox or hand it over the counter.

The post office will not act on your instructions as you have no rights over the parcel. Whether the recipient has paid for it is not the post office's concern.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

ChrisW

posted on 7/1/12 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
The recorded delivery will (likely) be your best bet here.

What he'll be doing is sending the parcel to an empty or non-existant address, knowing that being recorded the RM will leave a card. He'll then go to the local post office with some "ID" to collect it.

If you (or someone else) got to said post office first you might be lucky?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.