Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Im getting tinnitus at 29, I think its my cars fault!!
bi22le

posted on 21/8/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Im getting tinnitus at 29, I think its my cars fault!!

Hi all,

I have not got the most tip top ears in the world as I used to build big cars stereos for a living a few years back and love a live concert or gig with big bass every now and then but my tinnitus is getting LOUD!!!

I think its due to the striker. I dont have a window screen and even at 30mph the wind noise in my ears is quite a lot. I have been wearing ear plugs or a bash hat for prolonged driving or faster journeys but I still think its getting worse.

I remember a saying that if the noise lasts longer than the exposure then your causing trouble. Well I can always hear it if I stop and concentrate but its disrupting and almst disorientating now.

I think ill have go and see my doctor, although he is useless and will blame the car as soon as he knows what I get up to without offering any help.

Have you guys got any help \ advice?

Oh and I am not going deaf, thats something different. My hearing, I think, is very good when above the noise. Crisp, with good direction and depth.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

richard thomas

posted on 21/8/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have it a bit....it's annoying because i cannot make out conversations in a noisy environment....i.e. busy pub etc....

I don't think it's reversible.....however it doesn't really bother me now unless i concentrate on it....

Wear plugs if you think you are at risk.....

big-vee-twin

posted on 21/8/12 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the club, doctor will not do anything have a look at the tinnitus association web site.

I'm afraid you will have to do what the rest of us do and ignore it.

Can run in families My Gran had it, My mum has it, so do her brothers, I have it and my son has it!!

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

StevieB

posted on 21/8/12 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
You need to wear some ear plugs - get a big bag of foam plugs from screwfix or somewhere.

I read an article in a bike magazine recently that was about ear defence - the wind noise alone when wearing a bike helmet will cause more hearing damage than the noise of the engine. It's not worth damaging your hearing any further for the sake of a few pence worth of orange foam!

I find that they wipe out the wind noise almost completely when not wearing a helmet but you can still hear the exhaust note nicely.

jacko

posted on 21/8/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
I am sorry to say
My Doctor told me there is no cure for tinnitus i have it in my left ear but some times my right ear joins in when i am in a quiet place
They hisssss all the time

I always use a helmet in the kitcar
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 21/8/12 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
What kind of ear plugs are you using? if its those cheap roll up foamy things bin them and get some proper ones. I have got etymotic ones and they give a good amount of noise reduction in windy conditions. Usually I wear my lid and ear plugs. The real advantage of the et ones is that they let important sounds through so you are aware of your surroundings.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

chillis

posted on 21/8/12 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Speak up I can't hear you over this damned hissing noise
RK

posted on 21/8/12 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I am an audiologist. Your tinnitus can be temporary, or permanent. There is no cure, unless it is caused by medication (cancer drugs tend to encourage it). Protect the hearing you have, because noise exposure is known to cause permanent damage. The little foam things from Boots are fine, but don't expect to be able to converse easily while you are wearing them.

I recommend some custom ones from your audiologist. They are kind of expensive, but necessary for musicians and talkative car mechanics and sports car drivers.

ps Etymotic is an excellent company.

[Edited on 21/8/12 by RK]

JoelP

posted on 21/8/12 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have it mildly at 32, from power tools. Take it seriously kids, its something you dont think about til its too late!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

bi22le

posted on 21/8/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the feed back gents. Some interseting points.

Big Vee: I wondered if it had herditory roots, my mum has very bad ears. They are swallen including inside, I hope I dont get that.
Stevie: I do wear ear plugs, just not all the time. I think that will change. When I wear a helmet I normally have plugs to because it feels like its resonating in the helmet.
ASHG: I use the cheap orange memory foam types. 50 disposable pairs for £10 or something.
RK: I think I may invest in some smart ones if they make a genuine difference. Whats sort of life \ usage do they last for?

When people are wearing plugs, especially with a bash hat, do you feel disconnected from your car? I kind of like hearing out for worring knocks or rattles!! On the otherside of things it is nice driving blissfully without worring about "what was that?!"

I take it a full screen will not help unless it wraps around?

Also I think its more of SPL rather than noise, thats the problem with wind noise over exhaust noise. It just blasts my drums.

Any other thoughts,

Cheers

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

clairetoo

posted on 21/8/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I nearly allways wear ear plugs when out in my Fury - usually the foam type with a cord joining them , these can be wrapped round the gear lever so they dont go walkabouts and are allways there .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

britishtrident

posted on 21/8/12 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Tinnitus is a swine, probably cause of mine was a viral infection that made me partially deaf for two months rather than the fairly massive ammount of noise I have been exposed to.
However serious ringing in the ears can also be caused by wax build up. Ear wax can get as hard as cured epoxy resin.

[Edited on 21/8/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

daviep

posted on 21/8/12 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
What kind of ear plugs are you using? if its those cheap roll up foamy things bin them and get some proper ones. I have got etymotic ones and they give a good amount of noise reduction in windy conditions. Usually I wear my lid and ear plugs. The real advantage of the et ones is that they let important sounds through so you are aware of your surroundings.

TBH that advice is not accurate, for straight noise reduction very few products can compete with foam plugs.

From what I can see on the etymotic website the the max reduction is 20db versus 22db to 35db offered by most foam plugs. Keep in mind that a 4db increase in volume equals a doubling of the sound pressure.

THESE are my personal favourites full 35db reduction, I spend my days at work inside sound proof enclosures beside 500hp screaming detroit diesel engines, and my spare time with my head in a crash hat. I get my hearing checked every 2 years and so far (10 years) it's still pretty much spot on.

If you work somewhere really noisy or in a high noise for a long time then you need to double up, plugs and ear defenders, if you know somebody with hearing damage then you appreciate the impact it has on your / their life.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Ninehigh

posted on 21/8/12 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it doesn't really go away, mine hasn't after about 10 years (I'm 32... )

However I have found spending time in quiet helps, like one day a week in pretty much complete silence.

jollygreengiant

posted on 21/8/12 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
I am an audiologist. Your tinnitus can be temporary, or permanent. There is no cure, unless it is caused by medication (cancer drugs tend to encourage it). Protect the hearing you have, because noise exposure is known to cause permanent damage. The little foam things from Boots are fine, but don't expect to be able to converse easily while you are wearing them.

I recommend some custom ones from your audiologist. They are kind of expensive, but necessary for musicians and talkative car mechanics and sports car drivers.

ps Etymotic is an excellent company.

My Mrs had a form of titnitus (thats what one doctor called), an audiologist Dr at KGH said it was down to a broken bone in her ear. She said it sometimes sounded like a car engine runnning. Audiologist said she ought to have a scan and refered her back to her doctor, he said he was happy and didn't need a scan.

We changed doctors and got a scan. Turned out she had a 28.4mm diameter lump in the back of her head. Got it removed and low and behold, all better now. God bless Oxford Hospital and doctors that know what they ARE doing.

Oh and my dad had tinitus, he put it down to being a fighter pilot during the second world war, and suffering a burst eardrum from playing water polo with/for Plaistow swimming club before the war.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

RK

posted on 21/8/12 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Custom plugs will last for two years minimum, unless your ears grow at an abnormal rate. Expect longer. The diaphrams (noise filters) inside can be replaced with differing levels of attenuation.

Ignoring other causes of tinnitus (dislocated stapes, etc)...

The helmet will go a long ways to cutting down noise too, but the plugs are a good investment, even if they are the 25p versions. The amount of attenuation they provide is not that important (anything is better than nothing), rather the areas of frequency range. Foam plugs attenuate the higher pitches too much, making conversation difficult, making everything dull sounding.

Finally, you have to insert the foam ones properly: squish down with clean hands, and hold in place for TWO minutes, so they expand in the right place in your canal. Otherwise, they do bugger all (technical term). This is an advantage to the custom ones: they always go into the same place, and you can easily converse whilst wearing them because things sound normal.

SCAR

posted on 22/8/12 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
I have had a similar problem with my hearing. It got so bad I could hardly hear the rover v8, the cure was suprisingly easy.
I fitted some straight through exhausts and now I can I can hear it perfectly well (upto 2 miles away)

GOJO

posted on 22/8/12 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Ive had it for about 4 years it does come and go to diffrent levels, some people say the bones in the inner ear can be manipulated to reduce it, also causes of the tinetus can be extreme exertion of the neck( riding sports bikes) whiplash and high levels of caffeine, along with the usual industrial noises etc..
bi22le

posted on 22/8/12 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GOJO
Ive had it for about 4 years it does come and go to diffrent levels, some people say the bones in the inner ear can be manipulated to reduce it, also causes of the tinetus can be extreme exertion of the neck( riding sports bikes) whiplash and high levels of caffeine, along with the usual industrial noises etc..

Hmm, i have been drinking quite a bit of coffee recently.

BenB

posted on 22/8/12 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be wary of saying "tinnitus doesn't go". There are multiple reversible causes of tinnitus. And other causes which are not so benign. So it's silly to ignore it.

including..........

Otosclerosis
Acoustic Neuroma
Wax
Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

and of course straightforward plain vanilla tinnitus

The reason to be cautious is that most people have some history of loud noise exposure. Most people have either gone to a few gigs, clubs or gone shooting, tinkered with cars etc etc. So you can fob people off by saying it's benign tinnitus (on account of a little exposure to loud noise that all people have) but it's bad medicine. It's a bit like the opposite of when you get your glasses and Mr/Mrs Specsavers flogs you unecessary lens coverings by asking if you ever drive at night or use a computer (anti-glare) or go out in the sun (UV). Unless you're a technophobic bus-loving vampire you probably will But it makes it look like they're "assessing" you!

The way I look at tinnitus is this- if it's straightforward tinnitus it's not going to get better, it's just going to stay the same or get worse. So it makes sense to have looked into it from the beginning to made sure it's none of the above.

The bill is in the post

02GF74

posted on 22/8/12 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
what i remember from my time studying it, there are different causes and a number of different types, some can be help by medication but that is the minority.

if you are finding that driving you car is bringing it on, and/or making it worse, you have to invest in ear protection and if that does not help seriously consider not driving that car. if you continue, it will come to a point that your life will be a total misery, especailly when trying to sleep at night since there is lower background noise amking the tinnitus more noticeable. those that have it really bad need to wear a masker - a hearing aid type device - that plays noise in order to cover up the tinititus.

dhutch

posted on 22/8/12 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg..I have got etymotic ones and ...

Not a tinnitus sufferer or audio/ear expert but I too use the Etymoric plugs (Just the stardard ER20 plugs) having been introduced to them during my time working at the Students union as a lighting and sound tech. I wear the disposable foam ones like at work (mixed makes/types) when using powertools (angle grinder is a good one to not use without) but have a pair of the ER20's in the car at all times for me and the girlfriend as well as foam ones for other guest passengers.

Not worth messing about with, and certainly if i was getting signs of tinnitus I would be stright into the quack and on to a specilist and would get some custom plugs if they where what was recomended.

Daniel

ashg

posted on 22/8/12 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I'd be wary of saying "tinnitus doesn't go". There are multiple reversible causes of tinnitus. And other causes which are not so benign. So it's silly to ignore it.

including..........

Otosclerosis
Acoustic Neuroma
Wax
Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

and of course straightforward plain vanilla tinnitus

The reason to be cautious is that most people have some history of loud noise exposure. Most people have either gone to a few gigs, clubs or gone shooting, tinkered with cars etc etc. So you can fob people off by saying it's benign tinnitus (on account of a little exposure to loud noise that all people have) but it's bad medicine. It's a bit like the opposite of when you get your glasses and Mr/Mrs Specsavers flogs you unecessary lens coverings by asking if you ever drive at night or use a computer (anti-glare) or go out in the sun (UV). Unless you're a technophobic bus-loving vampire you probably will But it makes it look like they're "assessing" you!

The way I look at tinnitus is this- if it's straightforward tinnitus it's not going to get better, it's just going to stay the same or get worse. So it makes sense to have looked into it from the beginning to made sure it's none of the above.

The bill is in the post

we can tell who the doctor on the site is

regardless of what has been said by others i wouldnt go back to foamies after using the etymotics

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

daviep

posted on 22/8/12 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
regardless of what has been said by others i wouldnt go back to foamies after using the etymotics

I wasn't trying to convince you to it's an indivudual choice how you wish to protect your hearing. I was only pointing out that if you want the best hearing protection then foam pugs are better than nearly everything else including etymotics.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.