Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Peugeot 306 meridian - poorly!! Please help
Nickctp

posted on 29/1/13 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Peugeot 306 meridian - poorly!! Please help

Evening all,

My little a to b car is a pug 306 1.4 meridian on a y reg with 64k on the clock. When it's cold it appears to be running on 3 cylinders until it warms up then its fine. Yesterday it wouldn't run correctly at all and the engine management lite was flashing. It does not have any Hgf symptoms at all - no sludge under the filler cap or in the header tank, no blue smoke, no overheating etc. I removed the coil pack after work and all seemed to be fine - as in no damp plugs, all tight etc. Anyway, I re fitted the coil pack and all seemed fine, no probs this morning, the management light went out etc. Tonight after work it was running a little rough on the odd occasion (like it was running on 3 again) but only occasionally while it was cold - as soon as it was warm again there were no probs. Does it sound like the coil pack is on its way out? Or does anyone have any other ideas?? As afore mentioned - I'm pretty sure it's not the head gasket unless I'm missing something?

All ideas or suggestions welcome.

The car is only worth about £600 but I can't afford another run about at the mo so I ideally need to fix it quickly and as cheap as poss!

Thanks in advance

Nick

mark chandler

posted on 29/1/13 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Change the coil pack, mine did that years ago. Euro car parts stock them.
Staple balls

posted on 29/1/13 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Our berlingo (I suspect the same engine, but 1.6) did that for a few days, then dropped into limp home mode.

I'd suggest hitting a scrappy, a new coilpack for ours only cost about £20, and it's done a good 8k miles without a stutter, saved chucking money away without a solid diagnosis. (though a Citroen main stealer mechanic confirmed my suspicions)

GOJO

posted on 29/1/13 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Coil packs are a common issue on these but injectors failing are more common on this engine to cause the missfire on older vehicles try removing the wire clip from all the injectors ( taking care not to loose them) then run and lift the injector wiring on at a time to try and pin point the cylinder thats at fault. Then a easy thing for you would be to swap the injector to the next cylinder and repeat above, doing this will put the em lamp on though.
The last injector i got was around £65 from pages (at trade), if it is the coil pack avoid cheap ones eg fuel parts (absolute junk)

cliftyhanger

posted on 30/1/13 at 03:31 AM Reply With Quote
Had similar issue on our car. Long/short changed plugs as one showed an obvious misfire (cheapest solution first) then next along th echain was coilpack. £25 at the local (very helpful, there you go sir, all clean and ready to go etc) and 5 mins in the car park, all done, good as new. Safer than forking out big money in case that isn't the culprit.
britishtrident

posted on 30/1/13 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Coil pack and a new set of plugs ---- always fit plugs if changing a coil pack.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Grimsdale

posted on 30/1/13 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
is it possible to check the temperature sender? is it worse when it's really cold out?
rusty nuts

posted on 30/1/13 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Had a few injectors fail on Peugeot/Citroen engines
Nickctp

posted on 1/2/13 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grimsdale
is it possible to check the temperature sender? is it worse when it's really cold out?

It would appear so!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.