Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Central Heating - Advise on how best to set-up/run
FASTdan

posted on 3/7/13 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Central Heating - Advise on how best to set-up/run

We bought our current house about 18 months ago, spent 6 months renovating (rebuilding porch/extension, kitchen/diner refit and bathroom refit) and moved in a bit over 12 months ago.

During that I converted the hot water and C/H to both be a sealed system eliminating all header tanks and allowing me to move the hot water cylinder to the cellar freeing up valuable room in the bathroom. I also split the C/H to be upstairs/downstairs independent with their own thermostats. All radiators have TRV's. Boiler is about 4 years old but barely used as the old lady had an aga that she relied on for most things.

House is a quite spacious 4 bed end terrace (3 bed first floor, then attic room), stone built. About 70% double glazed and has at some point had cavity wall insulation and loft insulation up to current spec.

Now my initial thoughts were that the split upstairs/downstairs C/H would be more economical allowing me to run downstairs 4.30pm-10.30pm ish, and upstairs coming on around 8pm-11pm. Mornings both on for a couple of hours. However the winter gas bill was quite frankly eye watering!! OK so we moved from a 1-bed mid terrace cottage that cost nothing to run, to a much bigger house so a hike in bills was expected, but not to this level! The annoying thing is the house was never 'that' warm over winter - again we both accept that a house like this you might need to wear a bit more clothing.

So just after a bit of advice from anyone in the know about this sort of thing - is a split running cycle worth bothering with? Im thinking maybe only works if you can really physically seperate upstairs and downstairs (ie shut doors) and perhaps otherwise you just end up with the downstairs heating working twice as hard as its all going up the stairs. I also noticed that with the high ceilings (nice and warm at ceiling level!!) the time to get the house up to temp was substantial - so perhaps there's not a lot of benefit to scrounging on the run-times as most money is spent getting it up to temp in the first place?

Also, as part of the install I was advised by a plumber to fit the wall mounted stats in the hallway and landing - but on reflection I'm not sure I should have bothered if TRV's are present in every room? Surely they just fight each other?

Its also worth mentioning that we have a woodburner in the kitchen/diner but this was only operational for about half the winter due to waiting on getting the chimney liner sorted.

What I'm really scared of is that my wife will be starting maternity in Oct - so will be home MUCH more and thus require heating during the day. So I need to address things asap really. Its likely we will run the wood burner 24/7 on a low heat and just use the kitchen diner as a 'living' space. This continual low heat source may also keep the house up to temp somewhat more.

One saving grace is that during all this the house is still very drafty due to a lack of carpets in certain places, the odd holes here and there with ongoing building works, so I hope as time goes on things might improve a bit.

Apolgoies for the essay!

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mikef

posted on 3/7/13 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
May seem a bit basic. But if you have the thermostats in the hallways and landings, have you got the trvs on the rads that heat those areas on max setting, if not they never heat up to what you have set the rads for and the Thermostat does not take control. Just my thought , but I m not a heating engineer.

I have a similar situation that I dealt with a few years ago , and a big part of it is insulation, insulation insulation, a few bob really doing it well or increasing it pays for itself very quickly. A friend of mine in Northern Germany ( and it gets cold there) always says " you cant heat a house with a draft " very true.

Mikef

FASTdan

posted on 3/7/13 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikef
May seem a bit basic. But if you have the thermostats in the hallways and landings, have you got the trvs on the rads that heat those areas on max setting, if not they never heat up to what you have set the rads for and the Thermostat does not take control. Just my thought , but I m not a heating engineer.

I have a similar situation that I dealt with a few years ago , and a big part of it is insulation, insulation insulation, a few bob really doing it well or increasing it pays for itself very quickly. A friend of mine in Northern Germany ( and it gets cold there) always says " you cant heat a house with a draft " very true.

Mikef

The hallway rad has a TRV - and to be honest no I did not have this on max, not for any particular reason other than lack of experience. Thats part of my question really, what should be controlling what? The landing rad does not have a TRV (the only one in the house not to).

Yes I think you are right on the insulation and perhaps I have been a bit slack on that front - problem is time when you take on a big renovation project, drafts were quite low on my list and now I am of course paying for it! I have rolls and rolls of rockwool I bought to insulate the downstairs floor (as the cellar is a big source of drafts I reckon) but just never got round to fitting....but I will now!

[Edited on 3/7/13 by FASTdan]

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
big-vee-twin

posted on 3/7/13 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Mate,

It is a requirement of the building regs for larger properties to be split into zones to increase energy efficiency so multiple zones is better re energy efficiency.

The TRV's are actually designed to save energy by reducing the output of the radiator to take account of solar gain i.e. heat from the sun entering the property, that's why internal rooms don't need a TRV.

However, they have become the way people control room temperature ie used like a thermostat.

The main problem with heating a house is infiltration losses which is a posh name for gaps in the fabric, infiltration is one of the largest contributors to heat loss and of course your house needs to be well insulated.

So no matter how good your heating is, it is how well you house is insulated that dictates how much energy you use.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Wadders

posted on 3/7/13 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Rooms with stats should not have TRV's on the rads.

Zoned systems are now mandatory on properties over a certain size, so worth keeping upstairs downstairs heating separate.

Biggest improvement you will make is insulation, so if your house has cavity walls, get them filled pronto, loft insulation is another biggie. Whenever i decorate a room now, i rip the existing floor up, insulate underneath and put new floor down, it really does make a big difference.

Would require further investment, but look at solar panels to heat water.

Unfortunately gas is yesterdays technology and will only be going up.

Al.

Beat me to it bigvtwin

[Edited on 3/7/13 by Wadders]

dinosaurjuice

posted on 3/7/13 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
drafts! its amazing how much difference going round and filling every gap possible with expanding foam, cement, caulking etc etc can make.

No matter how good the insulation is, if cold air can rush in, it will do!

if you've got a suspended ground floor with cellar beneath it'll be well worth filling the joist gaps with insulation, then if it were me i would overboard the underside with a polythene barrier, taped at joins and edges.

snapper

posted on 3/7/13 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've just converted from TRV to thermostat
I'm using the British Gas remote system which you can program and adjust from your phone
The thermostat can be used from room to room but I keep it in the lounge with TRV off, other rooms use TRV to set max temp, I have several rooms not used so set them low but comfortable, other room set to my required temp
It's saving me a lot of money as just TRV system used to run most of the time

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

DarrenW

posted on 3/7/13 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest first place to look is where the losses might be coming from (im making an assumption that there are some). Iknew a guy who moved into a really nice mid terraced with sanded and varnished floor boards etc. Then found in Winter that there were terrible draughts coming up through the floor boards, this is due to the big ventilated air gap under the floor. You cant seal these from the outside as it can cause all sorts of horrendous problems to the property so i thing in that case the only real solution is to add insulation / seal above the floor boards and fit a new floor. Not cheap but will make a major difference.

I guess what im saying is that some houses are just built to be innefficient and you cant just go sealing up all of the holes. You have to find different ways to insulate them.

We had problems in our current house due to Chimneys sucking heat out of rooms so i blocked those up the best i could. Better solution would have been to fit a log burner and seal the flue to the chimney.

I find just closing doors and wearing more clothes in cold weather is effective, BUT for some reason the other members of the household seem to think they have a right to a red hot house, cheap bills, not having to wear more clothes and being able to open external doors and windows when they feel like it. In the end i just resided to the fact that the Energy bills will be £500 a month and the house will be cold.

Once your house is insulated you can start looking at the heating system.

JoelP

posted on 3/7/13 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
I too find that 'some people' in my house, specifically those who dont pay the bills, seem to think it normal to walk around in winter in a tee shirt with no socks on, then complain its cold and put the fire on too. The easiest solution here is to move the energy bills to their bank account, and see how fast they start digging out jumpers.

On a more serious note, drafts are a killer. Theres no point insulating when you have a gale blowing through the house.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

sky12042

posted on 3/7/13 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I waited for a nice windy day then went around the house with various sealing products and found all the draughts and sealed them up. Made a huge difference to the temperature I was able to get, and was able to turn down most of the trv's and made a difference to my bills.

Obviously bear in mind that some ventilation maybe need dependant on your property type and any heat sources like wood burner, gas appliances etc.

I found that a recently fitted 3-4 years ago set of French doors where not sealing very well and needed adjustment and a little bit of extra seals around the doors. So wait on that windy day and seal them up...

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.