Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: quaife ATB question
richardm6994

posted on 9/2/15 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quaife ATB question

I'm nearly at the point where I've saved enough pennys to buy a "Quaife ATB differential: Sierra 7" rear (not Cosworth)"

http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-category/transmission-clutch-wheels/differential-lsds-atbs/quaife-atb-differential-sierra-7-rear-not-cosworth-qual sd5.html

I currently have a 3.38 7" diff with push in shafts. I'd just like to check with the collective that the Quaife ATB unit will fit and work with the push-in shafts as most of the photos I've seen show associated with the ATB and sierra diff all show bolt-on type shafts?

Wadders

posted on 9/2/15 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
At one time you could only get them to suit push in shafts, so unless things have changed you will be fine.....i know this cos i had to have custom driveshafts made when i fitted the Quaife, as i was using a Lobro setup.

Originally posted by richardm6994
I'm nearly at the point where I've saved enough pennys to buy a "Quaife ATB differential: Sierra 7" rear (not Cosworth)"

http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-category/transmission-clutch-wheels/differential-lsds-atbs/quaife-atb-differential-sierra-7-rear-not-cosworth-qual sd5.html

I currently have a 3.38 7" diff with push in shafts. I'd just like to check with the collective that the Quaife ATB unit will fit and work with the push-in shafts as most of the photos I've seen show associated with the ATB and sierra diff all show bolt-on type shafts?

Andy B

posted on 9/2/15 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
yes you can run push fits with the atb unit its just the ford Viscous lsd that wont accept them - we have 5 cars here with 7 inch ford diff quaife lsd and push fit joints and all are fine.
I am sure Austen (MK9r) will be along in a bit to expand as he has forgotten more than I ever knew on this topic
regards
Andy

richardm6994

posted on 9/2/15 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys........and the link ......that's the correct ATB unit for my diff?

link doesnt seem to work.....burton Part No QUALSD5

[Edited on 9/2/15 by richardm6994]

joni

posted on 9/2/15 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

So if you have the bolt on shafts is there a quaife lsd that you can use
I was looking to use the plated type
Can anyone help thanks

[Edited on 9/2/15 by joni]

[Edited on 9/2/15 by joni]

snapper

posted on 9/2/15 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Quaife do bolt on stubs for their ATB
The ATB Automatic Torque Biasing is gear based there are no FRICTION plates in an ATB

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

joni

posted on 9/2/15 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Plated lsd

I was looking to use a plated diff so what way do I go when I have bolt on shafts
CNHSS1

posted on 9/2/15 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Quaife bought Tran-x which do plated LSDs so quaife can now offer them albeit under their Tran-X brand.

Iirc you use the output flanges from a bolt on flange diff but they must be from a non LSD diff originally.

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

joni

posted on 9/2/15 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks buddy
raptor700
Contributor

Posts 241
Registered 28/2/09

Photo Archive Go!
Building: MK INDY R GSXR 1000 K5. Now sold..... Ready for th

posted on 9/2/15 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 3.38 ford diff with push in shafts , I bought the atb from burton, I made all the tools to strip it totally down so I could powdercoat the casing , I also wanted to change all the bearings including the pinion bearing which is prob 20years old!!!!!
You have to grind a small amount of the casing down on one side to get it in, I then took tit to a guy in Sheffield
Called Stuart who set the backlash, he was very good and helpful.
He supplies rebuilt diffs for rally design

turbodisplay

posted on 9/2/15 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be worthwhile buying a diff from a BMW instead? They do Plate LSD on some cars,
Toyota do make a few diffs with torsen LSD.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johnny7

posted on 9/2/15 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I will have an atb available soon that's coming out of my caterham- if anyone interested?
richardm6994

posted on 9/2/15 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnny7
I will have an atb available soon that's coming out of my caterham- if anyone interested?

Will it fit my sierra 7" diff (push in shafts). If so then I'm interested.

richardm6994

posted on 9/2/15 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I've never done anything with diffs before and I'd got it in my head that I'd dismantle the internals, fit the quaife unit, reassemble and jobs a goodun....however ive Just been reading up on setting the diff preloads and backlash......a lot more to this than I first thought.

johnny7

posted on 9/2/15 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it was/is fitted to a 7" Sierra diff with push in shafts-- it's a standard caterham fitting-
Paul Turner

posted on 10/2/15 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnny7
Yes it was/is fitted to a 7" Sierra diff with push in shafts-- it's a standard caterham fitting-

Just be a ware that the Caterham requires the rear mount of the diff (its part of the rear cover) to be cut off to allow it to be fitted. If you used a diff that had been used in a Caterham in a car that required this mount you would need to replace the rear cover with a standard one. Easily done.

johnny7

posted on 10/2/15 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
It's only the actual. Atb that's available- not the whole diff
richardm6994

posted on 10/2/15 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
U2u me how much and when you think you'll be taking it out as I'm definitely interested

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.