Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paddle clutches
mark chandler

posted on 25/3/15 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Paddle clutches

Hello chaps

The time has come to replace the clutch in my DB7, as part of improving acceleration I need to bin the huge DMF and 267mm clutch and downsize to a 240mm plate.

On the rolling road the car is showing 370lb torque

Helix do a bonded plate and cover but this only supports 240lb, so to get near my figure I need to use a 6 paddle sprung clutch so....

Who has ever used paddle clutches, are they as horrible as the Internet indicates ? As part of running a BEC I am happy with a fast clutch with little feel but really do not want to be juddering down the road every time I try and move off or stuffing it into my garage wall when parking up.

Real world experience please.

Cheers Mark

[Edited on 25/3/15 by mark chandler]

Nickp

posted on 25/3/15 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
I put an unsprung one in my MR2 V6 and that was very noisy and very juddery, it really did grip though and never slipped at all. Hopefully a sprung one will be better but I'm pretty sure it'll still be sharper than a normal clutch.
CosKev3

posted on 25/3/15 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
6 paddle Alcon in a 2wd sierra Cosworth was ok tbh,pretty sharp but useable.

4 paddle in a m8's pulsar Gtir was truely awful,really spoilt the car.

I would say you will be fine with a 6 paddle sprung one

Oddified

posted on 25/3/15 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 4 paddle in my car several years ago, horrible to drive anything other than flat out.

If i had to fit one again, it would definitely be a 6 paddle sprung.

Ian

mark chandler

posted on 25/3/15 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
6 paddle sprung it is then, the costs keep on going up.

Has anyone run a 240mm organic helix clutch at over 400ft/lb torque? Thinking cosworth engine here.

turbodisplay

posted on 25/3/15 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Beaten to it but 6 paddle AP sprung is quite nice. As the clutch has no "spring" between the faces there is little movement. I have heard 3 times less. I would suggest making the clutch have a higher ratio to make the clutch less on/off, compensating for the lower movement.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 25/3/15 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Reading between the lines lots of the problems are people dropping paddles into worn covers and flywheels, helix will make me a 6 paddle with centre springs so it can settle a little and will have a new cover and my flywheel looks very true. It will all need balancing up as I have removed 8lb of weight out of it, sounds a lot but that's 25% lighter

[img]https://picasaweb.google.com/102680160261680183167/Db7FlywheelLightening#slideshow/6130297069930641618[/img]

andyw7de

posted on 26/3/15 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark,

Ive just replaced the clutch on my XJR6 AJ16 engine I had some really good assistance from AP racing and their dealer Techcraft motorsport (01926403721). I ended up buying a sprung 6 paddle AP clutch plate and a Lister Jaguar Helix pressure plate which can cope with circa 550 lb -ft of torque. Helix stopped making the pressure plate, it is now made to the Helix spec specifically for Techcraft.

very helpful guys

I was also told buy AP that the torque figures they quote have a 1.4 safety factor so what ever the published figure multiply by 1.4 for maximum

ATB

Andy

[Edited on 26/3/15 by andyw7de]

Speed is just a question of money !

How fast do you want to go ?

mark chandler

posted on 26/3/15 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
6 paddle kit ordered, hope it's not to harsh as little I can do about ratios without boring out the hydraulic clutch bits.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.