Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What is needed for a house to be mortgagable?
smart51

posted on 14/12/15 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
What is needed for a house to be mortgagable?

A house has come up for sale today on a street that we like. It needs some work but is priced accordingly. I phoned the estate agent today asking to see the house and they suggested that we'd need to be a cash buyer as without a kitchen, the house is unmortgagable.

From the photos, it has a bath and sink upstairs. I presume there is a toilet behind the door. Downstairs the kitchen looks like it has never had a fitted kitchen. Would a cupboard and sink with a connected tap and drain be enough to make it a mortgagable property? We'd be moving into a rented house while repairs, decoration and a bathroom and kitchen are fitted. Does it really have to be livable to be mortgageable?

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 14/12/15 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
You maybe able to get a mortgage but they will hold back some of the money until you fit a kitchen and any other thing they want doing this is what we had to do many years ago to our first house .
nick205

posted on 14/12/15 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'd ask your mortgage lender what's up.

A kitchen can be had cheap and fitting it is easy.

40inches

posted on 14/12/15 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2
You maybe able to get a mortgage but they will hold back some of the money until you fit a kitchen and any other thing they want doing this is what we had to do many years ago to our first house .

Yep! Our current house didn't have a kitchen. The building society placed a £2000 retention on the payment, this was paid when the kitchen was completed.

cliftyhanger

posted on 14/12/15 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Been a while for me....
but you may need to look at commercial mortgage if it isn't deemed liveable. After all they are looking at is from the perspective that if it all goes t*ts up and you give up, they can auction it and get the debt cleared . At best you may need to have a very sizeable deposit.
More likely is that the sellers don't want to get involved with buyers who need a mortgage as there is a (usually correct) assumption that as teh sale progresses they are far more likely to drop out, whereas a cash buyer is rather easier and more reliable.

blakep82

posted on 14/12/15 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
When i worked with mortgages, that particular lender insist a kitchen and bathroom is fitted to lend on. I believe this to be standard across most lenders but you may find one or 2 who will lend.
Detentions were usually for things like roof repairs, guttering needing fixed etc.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

smart51

posted on 14/12/15 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone. We would be able to put down an 80% deposit with much of the mortgage being used for the renovations. Plus, with a loan to value of about 40%, the lender shouldn't have too much to worry about

The sale of our house is well under way and to a cash buyer. We've instructed our solicitors that we will move into rented accommodation so completion on the sale and purchase do not need to coincide. The house is empty so it could well be family who are selling the house. In our position, we are almost as good as cash buyers. But we will still need a mortgage to complete.

snapper

posted on 14/12/15 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
The moment you get it on a restricted mortgage put s sink and an oven in plus some work surfaces
Job done, fully mortgageable, then plan the upgrade in slower time
With 80% upfront they won't bat an eyelid

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Benzine

posted on 14/12/15 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
IBC of water and a take away menu, prob solved
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 15/12/15 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
With 80% down and a 40% LTV, they'll be very, very, very flexible or care not a jot.

It makes this particular pile of bricks very much your risk, not theirs.

ChrisW

posted on 15/12/15 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Some friends of mine did this recently in a derelict farm house in Devon. They had to install a makeshift bathroom and kitchen in the one part that had a roof before the mortgage would be granted. They stretched every bit of available money they available had to buy the place outright as it stood and did those jobs on the lowest possible budget but good as gold the mortgage was granted and they are now doing the place up properly.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 15/12/15 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon it depends a lot on the LTV and the mortgage supplier.
When we bought our house it had no central heating, the bog was in the garden (not the swampy type), bordering on lethal electrical wiring and the kitchen was a stand-alone oven/hob and a fridge (both of which were broken) in an otherwise empty house.

They ponied up the mortgage just fine.

steve m

posted on 15/12/15 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
I do not know a thing about "the problem"
But how about buying a cheap caravan with a shower, as it will already have a kitchen fitted, and for mortgage reasons, its an outside bathroom and kitchen but in the front garden ?

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.