Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA compliant bezels for Smiths instruments
Mike Wood

posted on 9/6/24 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
IVA compliant bezels for Smiths instruments

Hi

Does anyone please know of a source of IVA compliant round edged replacement bezels for Smiths instruments including 4 inch diameter? (MG Midget rev counter and speeedo). Often still known as SVA bezels. I can find 52mm ones at Merlin Motorsport and Europa to go with Smiths gauges for Cobra replicas but not other sizes (see Merlin Motorsport: https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/smiths-clip-on-bezel-for-52mm-classic-gauges-cb-bez-52, https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s?search=Bezel & https://www.europaspares.com/smiths_spare_bezel_round_52mm_chome_scbr52).

I can’t find anything on the website of the manufacturer of Smiths instruments (Caerbont Automotive) but might try ringing them to ask.

I realise that I could put the instruments behind the wheel with their non-compliant bezel section or recess them into a padded dashboard; I do not have a 3d printer to make something - I suppose a bit of cut down glued on black wiring insulation might work from the outside of an old bit of 13 amp cable (kettle lead).

Thanks
Mike

[Edited on 9/6/24 by Mike Wood]

HowardB

posted on 9/6/24 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
You could put them in the shadow of the steering wheel
Even if just for IVA?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

christim

posted on 9/6/24 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same problem...done a lot of searching but no-one seems to have the larger round bezels. I don't think they exist, which is odd as they make them for the 52mm gauges as you say.

Best approach I think is to just cover them with something for the test as you suggest. (I have 3d printed some bezels for my 80mm gauges...they're ugly but will get it through the test)

My Build Thread

Slimy38

posted on 10/6/24 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by christim
I have the same problem...done a lot of searching but no-one seems to have the larger round bezels. I don't think they exist, which is odd as they make them for the 52mm gauges as you say.

Best approach I think is to just cover them with something for the test as you suggest. (I have 3d printed some bezels for my 80mm gauges...they're ugly but will get it through the test)

Apologies for hijacking the post, do you have some pictures of your 3D printed bezels? I will be doing the same for my car but I'm having trouble visualising what I'm aiming for. I'm particularly interested in how you shaped them to be IVA friendly, how big and how rounded they are?

christim

posted on 10/6/24 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Apologies for hijacking the post, do you have some pictures of your 3D printed bezels? I will be doing the same for my car but I'm having trouble visualising what I'm aiming for. I'm particularly interested in how you shaped them to be IVA friendly, how big and how rounded they are?

Sure here's a pic. If you want the STL file let me know:

My Build Thread

Slimy38

posted on 10/6/24 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by christim
quote:

Sure here's a pic. If you want the STL file let me know:

Ah perfect, now I know what to aim for. Thanks.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.