Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 speedo drive oil leak
givemethebighammer

posted on 2/8/06 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 speedo drive oil leak

How has anyone else stopped the speedo drive from leaking oil when not using it (I have an electronic speedo run from magnets on one of the driveshafts).

As I understand it, the speedo cable assembly holds the oil seal in place and stops it leaking ?

[Edited on 2/8/06 by givemethebighammer]

NS Dev

posted on 2/8/06 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
not as far as I know, the oil seal is independent of the speedo cable assembly, I was worried about the same thing but i pulled a spare one to bits and there is nothing to leak other than the seal which presses in.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Just

posted on 3/8/06 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Just replaced my speedo cable (as it snapped) and there was no oil seal behind it or even any sign of oil behind it - I would be surprised if oil was leaking out of the speedo drive whole, but if it is a chopped off cable with the inards taken out and the end sealed would do the job.
givemethebighammer

posted on 3/8/06 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
It's not currently leaking, the reason I asked the question is that I have just changed the gearbox. On the old gearbox I bodged up a bung to make sure it didn't leak. I just felt there might be an easier way of doing it this time. I think the cut off cable with the end sealed up sounds the best idea.

thanks

NS Dev

posted on 3/8/06 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is just left with no cable attached, was woried myself but I have done it that way in the past. there is deffo an oil seal in there cos I have pulled one box apart to check and chenged the seal on another.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

givemethebighammer

posted on 6/8/06 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
All done, old cable chopped, insides removed and a lump of epoxy putty forced into the end of it to seal it. I probably don't need it, but I feel happier with it fitted (I hate the smell of transmission oil and don't want it on my garage floor at any cost !)

thanks

NS Dev

posted on 8/8/06 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
tis certainly stinky stuff! Just be glad you don't have a live axle with a plate LSD in it!! The additive in them smells so much you can smell it when you have a new sealed (and I mean sealed as in heat sealed shut by ford after filling) cartridge of it in the garage from 20 feet away!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.