Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitment Problems
coozer

posted on 1/4/07 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Fitment Problems

Well, my build was cracking on at blistering place until.... it snowed and was too cold.

With the weather warming up now I want to get going again but I'm bugged with some problems.

The steering shaft runs right across the middle of the oil filter and I'm stumped! I only have 45mm of clearance here and its pi€€ing me off. There's a picture on my blog.
I now find there isn't room for the alternator either so thats more thinking that I didn't bank on at the start.

I cant move the engine anywhere as its such a tight fit with chassis rails in the way.

Anyone else had this problem fitting a zedec in a Vortx??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

nitram38

posted on 1/4/07 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't built a 7 but you can by a remote filter and use a sandwich take off.
It will need a bit of plumbing. Lots of builders move their alternator or use a smaller one.
Do a search...........seek and ye will find!!

westf27

posted on 1/4/07 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Deepest sympathy

Is there a smaller filter which would fit.My mr2 roadster has filter half that length.There are smaller alternators around which may help together with different fan belt.Dont know how good your kit manufacturer is they help.All sounds familiar in this crazy world of car building.Good luck

theconrodkid

posted on 1/4/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
renault 5 turdo filter is smaller than a small thing on a cold night,most people use it

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Krismc

posted on 1/4/07 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
yea me, its a tight bloody fir, i used a fiesta filter and cost me £4 its about 2"-3" long

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

tom_loughlin

posted on 1/4/07 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have just taken my filter off my zetec...Its from some renault.... I can get part No if you like?

It's about 35mm long, and clears the steering shaft by 6ish mm.

Hope to help

Tom

coozer

posted on 1/4/07 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers chaps, Ive got about 42mm at the shortest bit so a 35mm should be ok.

Is the part number FRAM PH2874??

Chris, what are doing with your spare 2.0 engine??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Guinness

posted on 1/4/07 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Go left hand drive?

Mike

marc n

posted on 1/4/07 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
fiesta oil filter or mr2 i believe

alternatorwise you need a different bracket

cheers

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 2/4/07 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Mike, hadn't thought of that one! In a rash moment of thinking I reckon shortening the steering shaft and lengthening the triangular shaft on the steering column, thats easy because the column adjusts in and out.

That will move the centre of the top UJ down and away from the engine. That may give me some extra room to get a take off plate in.

Failing that tap the casting on the oil pump housing and fit 45 degree unions.

May be easier to go LHD though.....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 5/4/07 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
and the problems rumble on...

blog updated!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

amalyos

posted on 5/4/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
U2U Numnuts AKA Dion.
He fitted a 2lt Zetec into an MNR, I know he had some problems, he may be able to help.

Good luck
Steve

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

numnuts

posted on 5/4/07 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i know how you feel, i have had all the same issues as you and more please u2u me i will help as much as i can . By the way the toyota mr2 oil filter will clear i have a cooper part No if rqd .
Agriv8

posted on 5/4/07 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
are you drum on the rear ?

The flexis are deigned for the disks so from the little I can see in the picture are too long.

A well place P clip may allow for enough travel and keep the hose away from the wheel.

Keep us updated regarding the enthusiam todays wonderfull weather has had me back in the garage tinkering with my efi.

REgards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

chockymonster

posted on 5/4/07 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
To sort the brake pipe out use the natural bend in the pipe.

Slacken the flexi where it joins the bodywork.
Then twist the flexi to bend it away from the wheel, once it is in a position where it will not touch the wheel do the nut back up to hold it in place.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichieC

posted on 6/4/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly what he says

Im also running drums and needed a slight "twist" in the hose to prevent it fouling.

You can see what I mean from the reflection in the bodywork, just rotating the end where it joins the body, prior to fitting the nut, is enough to kink the flexi out of the way.
Rich Rescued attachment Flexi.JPG
Rescued attachment Flexi.JPG

marc n

posted on 6/4/07 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
are you on drums too Rich ???
i ask as we have never had the flexi problem till now, but as far as im aware you two guys are the onlty ones on drums, so may be worth looking into for future referance asking if people are fitting drums or discs on the rear

cheers

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coozer

posted on 6/4/07 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
I tried twisting the hose but it slowly arched up and close to teh tyre again. As the wheels I'm using at the moment are off the donor when I get some bling ones they will be a little wider.
I've put a bracket on the inside so its well out of the way.
Marc, what do you think about it? Worth putting a bracket on the chassis?

[Edited on 6/4/07 by coozer] Rescued attachment Brake Hose Bracket.JPG
Rescued attachment Brake Hose Bracket.JPG

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

RichieC

posted on 6/4/07 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Marc, yes mate Im on drums too. Wasnt a problem for my fitment, just needed the wee twist.

I note however though that Coozer is using a bracket so the join between flexi and copper pipe is vertical, mine just joins on the inside of the arch. Also, you have youre back plates the opposite way around to mine, ie with the master cylinder at the front of the disc, mine are at the rear, hence no worries.

Regards

Richie

PS Marc I think my scuttle should be collected from you guys if not today then over the weekend.

Krismc

posted on 6/4/07 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Chris, what are doing with your spare 2.0 engine??

It went walkies, £900 on ebay (it was brand new) id have loved to hold onto it but just bought a 20k audi so im a little skint

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

coozer

posted on 6/4/07 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I note however though that Coozer is using a bracket so the join between flexi and copper pipe is vertical, mine just joins on the inside of the arch. Also, you have youre back plates the opposite way around to mine, ie with the master cylinder at the front of the disc, mine are at the rear, hence no worries.

Negative negative The back plates only fit one way and the cylinder is at the back

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

RichieC

posted on 6/4/07 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yep I see. I did wonder how youd managed that!!

Fairly sure though that having the joint between flexi and microbore horizontal would help the situation, certainly no problems with impinging on wheels with mine.

Rgds

RC

[Edited on 6/4/07 by RichieC]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.