Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying a Panther starter kit ~ any tips?!
spw1970

posted on 27/5/07 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Buying a Panther starter kit ~ any tips?!

Hi, this is my first post on here!

I sold my Sylva Striker a couple of months ago and haven't shaken off the kit car bug. I have decided on a GTS Panther Starter Kit as my next purchase.

I'm in Gloucester and would welcome any feedback, hints, tips etc that other Panther builders can offer.

Cheers! Stuart

spw1970

posted on 27/5/07 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just seen the replies to the other guy who's just ordered. All rather encouraging.....
flak monkey

posted on 27/5/07 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Good choice, any reason why you chose the Panther in particular?

What sort of spec are you thinking of?

I have thoroughly enjoyed building mine over the past year or so.

I wish you all the best with your GTS build, there is also the GTS OC forum (link in sig) for technical questions as well as this one. If I or any other Pather builder can help, we will

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

spw1970

posted on 27/5/07 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the warm welcome David!

I chose the Panther as I would like another '7' style car after selling the Striker. I looked at the Robin Hood Lightweight which has just been replaced with the Zero 7. The thing that put me off that car was the sheer amount of bare ali on it. Indeed, the only thing that I didn't like about my Striker was the ali sides. The Panther starter kit seems to have a good deal for the money. I have a double length garage with engine crane and a big drive so dismantling the donor will be no problem. I bought my Striker from a mate, the original builder so a scratch-build will be a first for me.

The Striker was xflow engined but I would like to fit a 2l black top Zetec in the Panther with type 9 5 speed. Hopefully I can ebay the bits of Sierra left over and make a few quid ........

flak monkey

posted on 27/5/07 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Well you did well avoid the RH (just personal preference)

The Panther was designed around the Zetec if I remember rightly, so you wont have any problems there, Darrens also built a few duratec and zetec engined ones himself.

Sounds like you've got the kit, should be a doddle

Sera

tom_loughlin

posted on 27/5/07 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Theyre a good car, well engineered, and at a good price. Mine is finished now, has been for a year or so, went together well enough withour any major problems. Mine was one of the first sold, so had the obvious teething problems, most of which (so I am told) have been ironed out.
Built it with a sierra engine in, to get an age related plate, but have since upgraded to a 2.0 zetec with TB's.

Thinking of getting rid, for something a bit different, but will be building another (or something similar) this coming winter.

Good luck with your build, and if you have any questions, there are a lot of us on here that will be more than happy to help.

spw1970

posted on 27/5/07 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Tom, thanks to you also for the friendly welcome! I see you are in Bristol so just up the road from me. I'd love to take a look at your car if you have the time as I've never seen one in the flesh.

Cheers, Stuart

Bacon2002

posted on 27/5/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Stuart,
Looks like you and I have something in common. I ordered my Panther kit a couple of weeks ago.
Today I bought a doner car (old XR4i with the wrong gearbox - MT75) and tomorrow I am hoping to take delivery of a Zetec with 42k miles on it (assuming the guy turns up).
Hopefully you can help me by take some of the strain when it comes to asking these guys the "newby" questions as I am sure they will get bored of answering all my stupid questions.
All the best and good luck,
David

spw1970

posted on 28/5/07 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
Hi David.

Interesting to have someone at a similar stage to me. I will likely place my order at Newark (I assume GTS will be there).

I want to properly organise my garage before I start. Its a prefab Marley type which I want to put some translucent panels in the roof and give the kids a job lot of white emulsion to paint the wall panels to brighten it up a bit. I already have a wood burning stove to go in there, radio and running water so plan to go out there in November and emerge early February thereby missing out on the stresses, strains and family politics at Christmas

scotty g

posted on 28/5/07 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Hi stuart, welcome to the loony bin!
Good choice of kit there matey, don't worry about asking questions, we are here to help eachother out, thats the whole point of this forum, plus you have the search option as well which will highlight the questions already asked over and over again.
The Panther is a great kit and its good value for money too but i don't think they are planning on going to Newark, they only usually go to Detling, Stoneliegh and Exeter. just give Darren a call, you'll probably have to leave a message as they are very busy right now but they will call you back.
What colour were you thinking of?

spw1970

posted on 28/5/07 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Scotty.

Thats strange, we were just debating the colour. Will probably decide after looking at cars at Newark. The trouble is everytime we have a colour in mind we see another car and say, ooh, that's nice!!

I fancy yellow or orange but have seen a lovely black one on here. Seen a nice white one too! Doh!!!

Are you going to Newark

flak monkey

posted on 28/5/07 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Yellow is the way to go

Mark (Calvinx) has a white and black one covered in vinyl graphics.

Personally I think they look best in a bright colour, also gives people a chance to see you coming.

I am going to Newark. Not sure if GTS will be there or not. Just give Darren a call and ask him

David

[Edited on 28/5/07 by flak monkey]

Sera

tom_loughlin

posted on 30/5/07 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Heres Mine

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.