Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DCOE carbs v Bike Carbs
oldmanmille

posted on 12/7/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
DCOE carbs v Bike Carbs

Guys,
I am struggling to make a final decision and need your expert advice:

Inlet manifold was to be mnade by KNN but they have informed that they cant do it now due to supply problems. Theirs was half the price of Bogg Bros (quality will come into it i know). So I can either:

Inlet manifold (£270) + Carbs (£65) + MJ (£105) = Total £440.00

Dunnell manifold + twin DCOE carburettors + 3D Clubmans Ignition Management System (IMS) + Wiring Loom = £693.00

I know there is £250.00 difference in going DCOE route but is it worrth it or not?

I want to ensure I make the right choice at this stage

Thanks,
John

DarrenW

posted on 12/7/07 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Boggs inlet manifold is £176 iirc. With carbs mounted, cleaned and basic jetting i think closer to £240 but could be wrong. You are somewhere near at £400 all in.

Not many would have compared the 2 you talk about but im sure many will say go the bike carb route.

I managed to get a manifold for £50, carbs free, filter £35, odds and sods etc probs £50, throttle cable £20, Choke cable TBD, Gasket £15 ish. Fitted to car ill be around £190 then set up later probs £100 so should be under £300 all in. I couldnt have bought 2nd hand webers for that and they would need refurbing and probs new linkages etc.

You can use MJLJ for either option.

matt_claydon

posted on 12/7/07 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'd imagine using MJ with the DCOEs would bring the prices a bit closer to each other. Seems unnecessary to go with an expensive system for the Webers if you're happy with the MJ to go with the bike carbs.
whitestu

posted on 12/7/07 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
I was planning to use KNN - what are their supply problems?

Stu

oldmanmille

posted on 12/7/07 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know to be honest Stu. I got an email from them saying they would have to decline my business due to supply. They don't provide a phone number so I can't even have a chat with them!

Shame really as price and the quality was what I wanted/needed, but alas...

DarrenW

posted on 12/7/07 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
I think if i was looking again id probs save up some cash and get Boggs to supply and set up the carbs, manifold etc ready to bolt on. Not sure what they charge for filter and cables etc. i know there full turn key conversion is about what you have costed for the DCOE setup which is why many get the manifold off them and then do the rest themselves.

Going the diy route you have to suss out the jetting etc yourself and probs still need to budget a final RR set up later. Its the jetting etc that i know least about.

rusty nuts

posted on 12/7/07 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Someone on this site is doing manifolds IIRC Fatboy Dave?? Sure there have been recent posts

[Edited on 12/7/07 by rusty nuts]

PeterW

posted on 12/7/07 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Someone on this site is doing manifolds IIRC Fatboy Dave?? Sure there have been recent posts

I did my own, using 5mm ally plate and some 38mm ally tube. Welded together with Easiweld rods whilst bolted onto an old head to stop warping

Total cost for bits was £20, and done in a couple of evenings.

Piccies in my archive.

Total costs so far for me are £35 for the carbs, £20 for manifold, £90 for MJ from Rayward and £10 for the coil and Edis bits from the scrappy.

I recon I'll be done for around £200

Whatever route you go, a rolling road session is needed. I used to do twin dell'ortos on Minis and the only decent way to get them sorted was to do it rolling.

Cheers

Pete

thesnake505

posted on 12/7/07 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
knn maifolds have a 28 day turn around, how ever i got my carbs after two weeks and can be happier with them, they cost £200 for maifold and carbs, filters were £32 for four with postage of the bay hope this helps snake

oldmanmille

posted on 12/7/07 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yes snake I was going down the route with KNN but was awaiting my carbs but int he meantime they have emailed me to say they cannot now help me due to supply problems so given all the advice aboive, i am going to go bike carbs route and with Boggs.

I'm safer this way, so thanks everyone for settling my mind

pajsh

posted on 12/7/07 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Twin Dellorto's fully refurbed and jetted £135 (Ebay)

Pinto Manifold £20 (2nd hand)

Other items (Megajolt, EDIS, coil pack, TPS, VR sensor, loom, filters, rampipes, gaskets, seals, studs, set-up etc) are going to be much the same for either option.

Still wish I'd gone bike carbs though as it seems they are more fuel efficient and more refined, so people say.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

Fatboy Dave

posted on 12/7/07 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

I am indeed, I have Zetec and XE on the shelf right now. Other manifolds are usually 10-14 day turnaround. Quicker if I have the flanges on the shelf.

What engine is it?

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

mcerd1

posted on 12/7/07 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Bogg bros are really helpful (although I've not had mine running yet)

Manifold + ZX9R carbs + clean and 'first guess' jetting = £295 + VAT for my pinto

+ a bit more for a filter and so on (but thats easy enough to do yourself)

and you still need a go on the rollers what ever way you go (I think bogg bros said about £70 to jet the bike carbs - but I could be wrong)

big_wasa

posted on 12/7/07 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Made your mind up

You cant beat the look of 45's Link

If they work aswell as the bogg brothers R1 set-up I had, remains to be seen

oldmanmille

posted on 12/7/07 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Dave,
I am putting R6 carbs onto Zetec 1.8. How much for manifold? and do you offer a service to clean, space and jet the carbs?

If not the latter, who would do that for me?

Cheers,
John

Fatboy Dave

posted on 14/7/07 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
you have u2u

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

dave r

posted on 16/7/07 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
anyone got a phone number for knn??
oldmanmille

posted on 16/7/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I asked but they never responded, so no, I don't, sorry!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.