Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tiger Cat ........ZX10R???
Kingacx

posted on 17/7/07 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Tiger Cat ........ZX10R???

First Of all let me apologise if i ask anything that seems stupid to you,but ive just bought my first kit an im built up to the engine part (frame,suspension,part of brake set up)

An im looking a dropping a ZX10R lump in there as recommended by Yorkshire engines,but i was wondering if any one on here has put a bike engine in a Tiger Cat an can tell me anythin regaurding the work i may need to do such as engine mounts an so on,any advice welcome!

Oh....an great site! allready spent 2nights reading before i registered!!

Andy

dave1888

posted on 17/7/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Somone has put a bike engine in a cat e1 iirc. try posting the question on the tiger owners site.
http://www.tigerownersclub.co.uk/index.html

Kingacx

posted on 17/7/07 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Omg....amount of searching ive done for owners club an didnt find the tiger owners club.....feel a little silly!!
cadebytiger

posted on 17/7/07 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
from what i have heard you would be better off going for a car engine. The cat is a bit too heavy (i have one).

you might be able to get the vaux. redtop in there. 4age will fit. zetec and pinto will go. there are loads of those.

snippy

posted on 17/7/07 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with cadebyTiger. The Cat is too heavy really for a bike engine. Most bike engine 7`s weigh around 150 to 200kg less than a Cat. I`ve only ever heard of 1 or 2 Cat`s with bike engines. The Cat chassis was designed around a Pinto engine so you may have to cut and reweld your chassis to accept a bike engine cradle? A Zetec or Vauxhall red top with a good ecu and carbs is ample enough in the Cat. My advice would be to find some local Tiger owners and hitch a lift in 2 or 3 different engined cars and then decide. Unfortunately I`m a bit far from you. Good luck.
Nick

zxrlocost

posted on 17/7/07 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
if you join the BEC owner club www.becowners.co.uk
Malc offers a 5 % discount on engines to members thats worth the joining fee alone

as for the engine theres quite a few tigers around with bike engines in as most of the 7's are basically the same. so if it fits in one car it should fit in another

however if the CAT is heavier than other I cant imagine being half has heavy as a Bike engine mini

thanks chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Kingacx

posted on 17/7/07 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
hmm jus been readin about ppl sayin the weight of the cat is a problem,wish i knew its all i bought it for!! lol

my main problem is i think a car engine will make the car very slow an heavy steering, roughly how fast can you make a 200bhp ford engine?

Altho its interesting to know that the 4AGZE fits,isnt this the 1.6 20v toyota lump?

What the chance of 1.3 Turbo lump fitting from a starlet??

Hmmm this is not good news!

Kingacx

posted on 17/7/07 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
am i right in the thinking the redtop aka the C20let (2l turbo lump the one you mean?)
zxrlocost

posted on 17/7/07 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Like I said in my last post

if they stick r1 Engines in a Mini and they fly Im sure you can stick one in a CAT even if its a slightly heavier 7

just dont put huge wheels and big comfy seats in

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

stevebubs

posted on 17/7/07 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
So just *how* heavy is a Tiger Cat?

Even if 500-600kg all-in it is still going to be blooming quick...

snippy

posted on 17/7/07 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I think the red top is the 20XE engine. A good example of a Vauxhall engined Cat can be found on `You Tube`. Search under `catblat`. This cars about 200bhp using Jenvey throttle bodies too.
snippy

posted on 17/7/07 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
weightwise, mine at SVA was 670kg with a Pinto fitted. I`ve since swapped to a Zetec.
Kingacx

posted on 17/7/07 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
well my plan was to dump a zx10r engine in an aim for around 200bhp,ive got fibreglass race seats,an was going to put any creature comforts into it,

What are my other options,does my cat bodywork fit other chassis? so i could perhaps change to a lighter frame work maybe?

Or Sell The Car an buy a new kit to start on......

So far i have

4 15" rims fitted with new calipers
Goodridge Braided lines
Seirra Rear Diff
Spax Front & Rear Shocks
Set Of FibreGlass race Seats

Just totally lost now, :S was hoping to build somthing with a 0-60 of around 4/5secs

but dont think i can with a car engine :S

[Edited on 17/7/07 by Kingacx]

snippy

posted on 17/7/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Kingacx - might I suggest you have a look on www.tigerownersclub.co.uk. There are a couple of threads on there discussing bike engined Cats that may help you. I also know that ChesterSportsCars who are the northern Tiger agent built a SuperCat with a ZX12r engine so it may be worth picking their brains about it too.
Nick

dave1888

posted on 17/7/07 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
By all accounts with a bike engine the car would be lighter but not as light as a mk or mnr. I thought about it a while ago but decided against it. I dont know how much a zx10r engine would cost to fit so i would be more inclined to go for a zetec or zetec se (lighter that a normal zetec).

zxrlocost

posted on 17/7/07 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Basically Andy its still gonna shift

viatron

posted on 17/7/07 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I would agree that a bike engine in a Cat would not be my first choice! Much better in an Avon or an B6. Definately come over and have a chat on the Tiger Owners Club Site www.tigerownersclub.co.uk just in case you missed the last few links!
Interestingly enough one of the guys on the forum OliWb i think has just modded his cat rear to get rid of the sierra subframe and shed quite a bit of weight, and apparantley it wasnt too difficult or expensive to do,
HTH
Mac

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 17/7/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Chester Sportscars have built a ZX12R powered cat (pics on their website - www.chestersportscars.co.uk). I am building an R1 powered Tiger B6 and having spoken to Graham at Chester Sportscars he recons the cat is about 50kg heavier than the B6, so i recon you will be looking at around about the 500kg - 525kg mark for a typical BEC build-up.

Hope this helps
Paul

bpgoa

posted on 17/7/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
if you search on here .. there are loads of ways of shedding weight... alloy hubs... brakes etc will get you back a few kilos .. smaller wheels ... compomotive crx (i think ) no interior.. per say... no bootbox bike battery... smaller fuel tank... alloy shocks .. and on and on and on

before you run away from the bec idea... go to the owners club... get in your tin top.. and drive to someone who's already done what you want to do.. then you get to witness the reality... you'd be surprised how fast that engine pushes other cars around (I've been in a Citroen Saxo) and their a lot heavier

On and On the River flows... We the Undertow

bpgoa

posted on 17/7/07 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
P.S.

you could always fit a turbo

On and On the River flows... We the Undertow

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.