Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: r1 5vy filterplates
marc n

posted on 25/4/08 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
r1 5vy filterplates

hi all
couldnt find the original posts re air filter base plates for the 5vy motor so posted here
i have nearly finished the baseplate to fit this engine, you will need though the original airbox trumpets to fit the plate

cheers

marc Rescued attachment filterplate1.jpg
Rescued attachment filterplate1.jpg

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marc n

posted on 25/4/08 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
the filter plate is a tight fit around the trumpets and then is glued with sikaflex then bolted to throttle bodies

main reason for post was somebody needed it but cant find who it was, as i have deleted all my emails not just spam ones as i intended

cheers

marc

[Edited on 25/4/08 by marc n]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stuart_g

posted on 25/4/08 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
I made mine out of fiberglass. I was kindly sent some pictures and instructions from another member on here. It didn't take very long to make once I had made the mould.

I had to bend the bracket down that holds the sensor on the fuel rail and reroute the wiring that is also cable tied to it.

I tried to get the baseplate to be as low as possible so the filter would clear the inside of the bonnet.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 25/4/08 by stuart_g]

[Edited on 25/4/08 by stuart_g] Rescued attachment P1000505.JPG
Rescued attachment P1000505.JPG

worX

posted on 25/4/08 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Stuart, that looks absolutely quality!!!

Steve

Johneturbo

posted on 25/4/08 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n
the filter plate is a tight fit around the trumpets and then is glued with sikaflex then bolted to throttle bodies

main reason for post was somebody needed it but cant find who it was, as i have deleted all my emails not just spam ones as i intended

cheers

marc

[Edited on 25/4/08 by marc n]

Hey Marc,
i ordered a filter+ baseplate about 3 weeks ago could it be for me? but i've never emailed you only chris.

i have them trumpets, but from the top of them there is 30mm to the bonnet, so the plate needs to be at least 10mm below the trumpet tops to fit.

Stu is your filter the 40mm one?
nice job on the baseplate , could you send me the mould!
john

lsdweb

posted on 25/4/08 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Marc

Could you make just a rectangular base plate? I need to build an airbox and this would save me trying to make the base to fit.

stuart_g

posted on 25/4/08 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
John,

I made my mould out of a piece of wood covered with brown parcel tape so the fiberglass wouldn't stick. I then screwed this to a piece of melamine covered chipboard so again it wouldn't stick. All was good untill it came to get the piece of wood out, it was suck solid so I had to cut it up to get it out. You could easily make one yourself but make it from polystyrene or something more flexible.

Yes filter is the 40mm one and this is why I tried to make the baseplate as close to the TB's as possible.

[Edited on 25/4/08 by stuart_g]

road warrior

posted on 25/4/08 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Nice job Stuart
Krismc

posted on 25/4/08 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
nice, im trying to get a aibox or similar to fit GXSR throttle boddies!!!

might try making my own!!!...it may end in disaster, watch this space!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

lsdweb

posted on 25/4/08 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Stuart-g

Is the thickness to clear the Air Induction System and to connect the AIS pipe?

I'm not running an AIS so presumably I can just make a flat plate?

Wyn

stuart_g

posted on 25/4/08 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Stuart-g

Is the thickness to clear the Air Induction System and to connect the AIS pipe?

I'm not running an AIS so presumably I can just make a flat plate?

Wyn

Wyn,
You have to raise the baseplate up above the fuel rail and the secondary butterfly motor at the front of the TB's. The filter baseplate is too wide and will not fit in between the two.
I am using the AIS so I connected the Pipe that would normally go to the R1 airbox to the front of the baseplate. No reason for putting it in that position other than the pipe reached there.

HTH
Stu.

lsdweb

posted on 25/4/08 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Stu

I'm not using the secondary butterflies so I don't have the motor/servo either. I'm planning on running the backplate as far back as I can (until I reach the fuel rail). I have loads of space at the front (engine is the 'right' way) for the airbox / cold air feed.

Regards

Wyn

marc n

posted on 25/4/08 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
yep can make a square panel with cut out

cheers

marc

lsdweb

posted on 25/4/08 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Marc

Could you give me a rough idea of cost and timescales?

Ta

lsdweb

posted on 26/4/08 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Easy when you have no AIS to worry about!

I just have to make the box now - alumium or CF / not sure yet.

Airbox1
Airbox1

Airbox2
Airbox2

[Edited on 26/4/08 by lsdweb]

[Edited on 26/4/08 by lsdweb]

marc n

posted on 27/4/08 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
wyn
what year engine is it ??? the trumpets i have on both the r1s are the same length right across ,
to make an airbox last time i cut a full box with trumpet holes in alloy and folded it, only had to add a filter element to completely seal, if you scetch the airbox you are after can easily do the same for you if it helps

cheers

marc

lsdweb

posted on 27/4/08 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Marc

It's a 2005 VY - the trumpets are Graves Velocity stacks which are, allegedly, supposed to give slight increases in performance. I bought them because they were not a lot more expensive (from the States) than buying a standard set.

I'll have to mock the airbox up in cardboard first as it has to fit snugly under the engine cover for the cold air feed - not easy!

Thanks for the offer but I think I'll get it done in CF as this is quite easy once I've got the cardboard mock up.

Regards

Wyn

[Edited on 27/4/08 by lsdweb]

Johneturbo

posted on 1/5/08 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Stu,
what did you use to bond the trumpets to the baselpate? was it just tigerseal or sikaflex.
cheers
john

stuart_g

posted on 1/5/08 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John, No bonding of anything. What I did is cut round the raised section of the throttle bodies so the baseplate sits on the outer lip. I then drilled the baseplate and the bolts that hold the trumpets now sandwich the baseplate. I put an 'O' ring on the bolts to take up the thickness of the fiberglass so the bolts hold the trumpets firmly in position.

I hope that all makes sense. I can provide you a pic with the trumpets removed if you want.

marc n

posted on 2/5/08 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

what did you use to bond the trumpets to the baselpate? was it just tigerseal or sikaflex.

sikaflex sticks like poo to a blanket

lsdweb

posted on 19/5/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
The almost finsihed article -

R1 Airbox
R1 Airbox

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.