Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT : Ulaanbataar here we come
mstepien

posted on 13/5/08 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
OT : Ulaanbataar here we come

A bit off topic.
My friends and I have secured a place in 2008 Mongol Rally. For those not in the know, it's about taking a cr#@y car from London to Mongolia and leaving it there. And collecting some money for charities.

We are taking our newly acquired Pullonez ('95 FSO Polonez, almost as shown by J Clarkson in one of old Top Gears) and trying to arrive at the destination in one place. We have set up a site so if you are interested I invite you to go and see it : http://mongolrally08.theadventurists.com/pullover

It is all about helping those in need, we would be grateful for your help. And identified donors will receive the photo with (or without) the dedication. As you wish.

Unfortunately due to this time consuming event my build is not progressing as I would like to. Last thing I have done was fiddling with the engine and trying to fit it in the car. I am afraid that this engagement will take me at least another three years...

Rgrds,
Michal

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/5/08 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
So your dumping knackered old cars in Mongolia, are they happy about this??

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cadebytiger

posted on 13/5/08 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
That rally looks awesome! Going to seriously think about trying to get a place next year!
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 13/5/08 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
From a fellow rallyist doing the RUST 2 ROME you have my respect. We will attempt this one sooner than later. It sure beats a package holiday.
Idea on costs? Two weeks for under a grand for our R2R....

mongol a lot of cash goes into the visa system...petrols not bad out of Europe..if its petrol!
Good luck

[Edited on 13-5-08 by mangogrooveworkshop]

James

posted on 13/5/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
There was an article about it in the local free paper the other day.

Three guys from round here going in an old Ambulance.

Apparently it's got a bigger engine than allowed but they have exemption on grounds of comedy value!!!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mstepien

posted on 14/5/08 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Our car has also bigger engine that rules allow but since we are happy to pay "penalty" to charities it was accepted with the blessing.

As for the cost, we have estimated it at 7500 EUR total. Including the car, flight back home (3 people) and increased charity money (1600 GBP). Not cheap but still worth doing, especially if we manage to find sponsors (already managed one, few more have been adressed) And it definitively beats any all inclusive package on the market

cadebytiger

posted on 14/5/08 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
What made you go for the mongol and not the african rally out of interest?
mstepien

posted on 15/5/08 at 01:26 AM Reply With Quote
You mean with Adventurists ? Well, we have decided to go to Mongolia some time ago (more than a year) when their African adventure haven't existed yet. Besides, Mongol Rally was the first we have found out about. Later we have found other adventures and maybe, or rather probably, we will jump on another one in the future. The world is big and all worth visited but one needs to chose something to start with.

To sum-up, there was no particular preference for this rally, maybe apart from the timing (I work for a French company and I can get 5 weeks holidays in the summer which might not be possible during other season).

cadebytiger

posted on 15/5/08 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
I think it sounds brilliant! Going to try and get a team together for 2009.

How difficult is it to get a place?

Benzine

posted on 15/5/08 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cadebytiger

If you marshall for the start this year then you are guaranteed a place, not sure if they still need any marshalls though. It's getting harder to get a place each year as more and more people want to take part

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cadebytiger

posted on 15/5/08 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
Originally posted by cadebytiger

If you marshall for the start this year then you are guaranteed a place, not sure if they still need any marshalls though. It's getting harder to get a place each year as more and more people want to take part

Awesome thanks. I will check it out

mstepien

posted on 15/5/08 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
This year three of us signed for the draw and only one succeeded. I don't know if it translates to 33% chance but you definitively need some luck to get on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.