Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: please HELP!!!!
scottydog

posted on 16/5/08 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
please HELP!!!!

Hi all, just a quick question can you please tell me an ideal size of workshop i would need to build in my back garden to fit a mk indy and of course to work round as i have no garage!!!! want to order my mk indy as soon as pos!!!!! thanks for your time
ch1ll1

posted on 16/5/08 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
hi
what ever size your going to end up with,
double it, and still wont be enough room

paul

r1_pete

posted on 16/5/08 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
IMO you can never have enough room, I'm rebuilding and modifying an MGB in a 30ft x 16ft garage and still fall over stuff.

I recon you need about 3ft working space all round, but I know people on here work in much tighter spaces.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 16/5/08 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
As big as you can manage - you'll expand to fill all the available space.

People do build in single garages but I can imagine that it's pretty tricky and they would probably need to have a separate workshop too.

I would say a minimum of at least 18' x 10' realistically but ideally bigger than that.

Hope that helps

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Ivan

posted on 16/5/08 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
I would guess the minimum size is 2.4 m wide by 4 m long but that is a real minimum and would say the ideal is 6m by 6m ie largish double garage size. The bigger the better.

The 2,4 m X 4m will allow you 2' on either side of the build table without the suspension on, and no real room for a work bench at the end - add another 600mm ( 2' ) to the end and you might just fit in a workbench at the end.

[Edited on 16/5/08 by Ivan]

scottydog

posted on 16/5/08 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
WOW i didnt think it would need to that big but there you go live and learn thanks for your replies
mookaloid

posted on 16/5/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I do believe that a couple of people on here have built outdoors and covered with a tarp while not been worked on.

Don't think I'd recommend it though

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

philw

posted on 16/5/08 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is 16' square, it's ok but once you start putting benches, welders, engine cranes, engine stands tool boxes, shelfs etc they soon shrink, so i'm going to lengthen it by 2' which will allow me to put most stuff in the extra 2' of space, then i can start to fill the rest up again, as said above as big as you can.
Dangle_kt

posted on 16/5/08 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I am building in the skinniest single garage ever. It's 210cm wide or just over 7ft. I had to move the car to one side of the garage, and then to the other just to use a slide hammer to get the half shafts out.

Its incredibley stressful building in a tiny garage.

If you welded up some angle or small tubing into a simple shelter with some ply and then topped off with tarp, you'd be sorted - it wouldn;t cost lots AND would propably classed as tempory so no planning permission just make it as wide as possible.

eznfrank

posted on 16/5/08 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
If you're building an Indy and literally just bolting all the bits on I reckon you're fine with a single garage size. I'm building an Indy in a single garage and it's going fine so far - no probs.
dogwood

posted on 17/5/08 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
A nice big tent is what you need

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/muddypaws4x4/locost120.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/muddypaws4x4/locost122.jpg

Danozeman

posted on 17/5/08 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Dogwood that tent looks a good idea.

I built an 8x16ft car port at my old house to build my car in. Cost me sod all. I put clear corrugated plastic on the top. Fence on one side with tarps up at the side. Looked a bastard with the tarps on but you could board the sides which was my intention just never did it. I had a workmate with a vice bolted on at one end for a workbench and some lights in the top.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 17/5/08 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
I've built an Indy on the patio in the bag garden before so you actually dont need a garage, just a space and a tarpaulin

trogdor

posted on 17/5/08 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I wish i still lived in my student house, we had a nice big double garage that we barely used. just to store bikes and our kiting stuff.

We do have a garage at home but if we took all the tools out we could only just get my dads little sprite in and not be able to open its doors!

We did use a trailer tent on the front garden to strip my dads sprite of paint and respray. Neighbours were not amused as it was up for along time and its a huge tent! Shame we got rid of it as would want to use it again.

martyn_16v

posted on 22/5/08 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
If you're building an Indy and literally just bolting all the bits on I reckon you're fine with a single garage size. I'm building an Indy in a single garage and it's going fine so far - no probs.

Same here, no real problems (well, apart from a lack of electrics being an arse, garage is in a block). Once it's on wheels you can just roll it out of the garage if you need a bit more room.

All of you saying you need several acres are spoilt jessies IMO

wilkingj

posted on 23/5/08 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 6x4 metre Workshop on the front of my double garage... Its still not enough.

Unless you are a very tidy person, and do not hoard things, you will never have enough space.

Benches and shelves just sort of appear, along with the spare engine and gearboxes.

Make it as big as you can. Its nice to have a bench that you can work on without having to move a ton of junk before you can start.

You know it makes sense.

Minimum would be a single garage size, and a wooden shed for storing bits.
Make the garage as wide as you can, as it makes it easier to work around the car.

Good Luck

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad-butcher

posted on 23/5/08 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Any-one who's been to Martin's MK will know he's got what I consider the best portable garage going, just basically a box on wheels that rolls over the car, typical locost. there are a couple of photos some-where on his site
Tony

Bluemoon

posted on 25/5/08 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have a single garrage, with a work bench at one end.. Once the wheels are one you just roll it out to get more room..

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.