Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Body tub questions
bassett

posted on 19/10/08 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Body tub questions

Hi all, Been meaning to fit this for ages so today finally me and my dad got our tub on the chassis. Got a few questions;
The tubs rear bottom lip is about 1cm below the rear chassis rail. Its not a problem, expected after 10m outside but just wondering if other owners have had the same problem?
The tub is proper tight where the ally floor overlaps what have other owners done here?
Should the front of the tubs sides sit completly flush with the chassis rails and do we need the huge lip on the bottom?
Thanks for any advice
Adam

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

stuart_g

posted on 19/10/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yes bottom of tub is below the rear chassis rail but mine fitted tight at the rear of the wheel arches.
My tub was also tight at the join in the floor I had to grind the welds down on the top chassis rail where the top bulkhead rails join and also remove the rivets where the floor halves join, file the ali floor down and fit countersunk rivets and then it fitted perfect.
The sides of the tub do not sit on top of the chassis rails. It sits on top of the front upper wishbone mounting brackets making it 5-6mm above the upper chassis rails. I chose to fix my tub along the top chassis rails in the bonnet opening and made ali spacers. I then used countersunk rivets through the tub and spacer into the top chassis rail, the rivets are covered with thin self adhesive foam.
I left all of the lip on the bottom of the tub.

Hope that answers your questions.
Cheers
Stu.

TimC

posted on 19/10/08 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
How old is your chassis? The most recent (maybe last 12 months (?) ) sit flush at top and bottom, but there was a period when the new taller bodywork was in-play without a taller chassis. Aluminium angle is your friend if you are affected (like me & Coozer.)

bassett

posted on 19/10/08 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, its under 12 months - collected last christmas. Ive read a few blogs and id guess mines newer as it looks like it should go round the top and bottom rails but could anyone add a picture that i could compare with mine?
Thanks again
Adam

stuart_g

posted on 19/10/08 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Only pic I have that shows the body tub resting on top of the wishbone mounting plates. Rescued attachment Nose cone fixings.JPG
Rescued attachment Nose cone fixings.JPG

coozer

posted on 20/10/08 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Well afraid to say I've used bits of wood again although not as much.

I spent ages going round B&Q looking for some nylon or summit.

Smothered it in tiger seal though so makes a canny connection.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

TimC

posted on 20/10/08 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry about the blurry picture, but you can just make out the aluminium angle to the right (it's the lighter looking bit) plus the bracket that I made to support the tub at the front.

bassett

posted on 20/10/08 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help so far guys. Stuart it looks quite like yours the wishbone mounts and welds are few mm above the top chassis rail and now reading it back i get your first post as last night i had a right wtf is he on about moment
I definetly think we need a spacer at the rear as the tub is a good 1-2cm below the chassis rail as raising it up to the chassis rail makes the fit at the top look far worse.

Coozer ive always had trouble with tiger seal - does it work with regular sealant guns? previous applications i didnt have a clue so just cut the can open and spread it on but on the tub were going to need it all.
cheers
Adam

stuart_g

posted on 20/10/08 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need to bother with a spacer at the back of the tub Just put a bead of sealer between the chassis rail and the body tub to stop it moving around and causing unwanted vibration noises, then rivet the tub to the chassis at the back of the suspension cut out in the tub.
marc n

posted on 20/10/08 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
hi adam

leave the body for a couple of days on the chassis before cutting etc, the rear bumper tube is 14mm higher so the tub fits on you do not need to fix to this as the body is self supporting

hope that helps best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bassett

posted on 21/10/08 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
thanks guys looks like im all good for the weekend to get it finished off
Adam

coozer

posted on 25/10/08 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bassett
Coozer ive always had trouble with tiger seal - does it work with regular sealant guns? previous applications i didnt have a clue so just cut the can open and spread it on but on the tub were going to need it all.
cheers
Adam

Tiger seal is OK with a decent sealant gun, not plastic ones! Mines a metal one and I tie wrap the tube on to make it a bit more rigid.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bassett

posted on 25/10/08 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks steve. I know it sounds like the most stupid question and thats what i thought as a while back i tried with the old mans metal one and well ended up buying him a new one. Just feels it doesnt want to give at all hence i cut the other ones open as i needed just a bit. The vortx on the other hand is going to need all of it.

[Edited on 25/10/08 by bassett]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.