Board logo

Peugeot BE1/3 gearbox - hydraulic clutch?
nick205 - 5/3/08 at 09:48 AM

I must admit to a hole in my knowledge of Pug 205 related mechanics

Does anyone know if the BE1 and/or BE3 gearboxes as fitted to Pug 205/309/405 etc. can be fitted with a hydraulic clutch set-up?

Did any of the cars (405 maybe?) have a factory hydraulic set-up?

Alternatively, are there "universal" kits which could be adapted to the gearbox/clutch?

My brother in-law had to retire his 205 from a tarmac rally last weekend with a snapped clutch cable. We're hoping to change to a hydraulic set-up to improve the clutch feel and reliability of the car.

Cheers
Nick

Jubal - 5/3/08 at 10:49 AM

If you get no joy here then 205gtidrivers is the place to ask this question. They were the fount of all knowledge when I was keeping my Mi16 on the road.

awinter - 5/3/08 at 03:53 PM

late 309's had the hydraulic clutch, never had a clutch cable snap in 6 years ownership of 2 309's. just bad luck. Hydraulic clutch much more complicated, I'd stick with the cable, very easy to replace from knowing how they connect and the amount of times I replaced engines in one of the 309's. As long as the release bearing is good as this makes a huge difference to the weight of the clutch pedal. Also replacing the friction plate with a new one makes a difference as the splines wear which can effect the clutch feel.

Ta

Allan

nick205 - 5/3/08 at 04:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by awinter
late 309's had the hydraulic clutch, never had a clutch cable snap in 6 years ownership of 2 309's. just bad luck. Hydraulic clutch much more complicated, I'd stick with the cable, very easy to replace from knowing how they connect and the amount of times I replaced engines in one of the 309's. As long as the release bearing is good as this makes a huge difference to the weight of the clutch pedal. Also replacing the friction plate with a new one makes a difference as the splines wear which can effect the clutch feel.

Ta

Allan

Good info - cheers!

britishtrident - 5/3/08 at 05:26 PM

Might be possible Rover 45 parts could be used they used various Pug gearboxes on some models (not 25/200 as they have a cable clutch)

[Edited on 5/3/08 by britishtrident]