Board logo

Leaving
Alan M - 15/2/12 at 06:18 PM

I can get insulted without having to visit this forum. Goodbye

daviep - 15/2/12 at 06:30 PM

If this is in response to the DPF thread then I'm not sure who insulted you, it was jokingly pointed out you were talking nonsense.

Forums don't get much more polite / friendlier than this one.

All the best
Davie

Ben_Copeland - 15/2/12 at 06:31 PM

Toys .. Pram .. Bye lol

Hellfire - 15/2/12 at 06:35 PM

That's a bit permanent isn't it? Just give em some insults back, grow a thicker skin, grow a pair, or just admit that you don't know what you're talking about (as alleged by others, not by me...)

Phil

[Edited on 15-2-12 by Hellfire]

blakep82 - 15/2/12 at 06:41 PM

i've had a whole thread created bitching about me ha ha i'm still here, man up

I thought DPF was really just to catch the big lumps of soot out the exhaust on diesels
I thought (or never gave it much thought really) that EGR was just on petrol engines to send some exhaust gasses round the engine again to burn any unburnt gasses in the exhaust
and i thought that diesels always ran on wide open throttle, and it was just the amount of diesel that changed to accelerate

is none of that right then?

daviep - 15/2/12 at 06:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i've had a whole thread created bitching about me ha ha i'm still here, man up

I thought DPF was really just to catch the big lumps of soot out the exhaust on diesels
I thought (or never gave it much thought really) that EGR was just on petrol engines to send some exhaust gasses round the engine again to burn any unburnt gasses in the exhaust
and i thought that diesels always ran on wide open throttle, and it was just the amount of diesel that changed to accelerate

is none of that right then?

I need to see that thread

I'd score you 2 out of 3

steve m - 15/2/12 at 06:48 PM

Isnt leaving because you dont agree with something a bit like primary school days ?
Its my ball, and im off !

T66 - 15/2/12 at 06:48 PM

This site is on the whole friendly, Ive just read the DPF thread, and nobody insulted anyone.

If you want insulting try sticking a question on the Landyzone forum, ignorant cocks, spring to mind.

There are far worse forums than here.

mookaloid - 15/2/12 at 07:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alan M

I think people were trying to help you with your understanding when you were confusing the operation of diesel engines and gasoline (petrol) fuel injection. They aren't the same and we can all learn something sometimes.

So as said - man up, admit you hadn't got it quite right and enjoy the banter. The only person to lose out will be yourself if you leave.

Just my 2p worth

Cheers

Mooky

AndyW - 15/2/12 at 07:28 PM

If you want insults just ask......

Whats better CEC or BEC

Hellfire - 15/2/12 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by AndyW

Whats better CEC or BEC

This has been answered numerous times..... BEC is better. Sorry for insulting you.

Phil

Dangle_kt - 15/2/12 at 07:44 PM

To be fair the comments weren't exactly couched in the nicest way - but they were not rude, and just making sure a fellow member didn't act on advice which was misguided.

Last thing the forum needs is wrong advice being recorded forever on here, with no correction - the site becomes worthless then.

Though, if the reaction to a pretty polite put down is to leave, then the forum will cope.

[Edited on 15/2/12 by Dangle_kt]

owelly - 15/2/12 at 07:45 PM

Ah, we had a pre-teen wiki-jockey who got hold of the wrong end of the stick so tried rummaging around in the World Wide Tombola and won an embroidered hankerchief, a box of out of date Maltesers and a dog eared Ruth Rendall book, instead of the knowledge to educate everyone else. Everyone else saw through the smoke and mirrors so red-faced stomperchops packed up his 'My First Book of Engines' and marched off.
But we all know he's popping back to see what we're saying. And he knows we know....

computid - 15/2/12 at 08:01 PM

Confused but excited. - 15/2/12 at 08:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Ah, we had a pre-teen wiki-jockey who got hold of the wrong end of the stick so tried rummaging around in the World Wide Tombola and won an embroidered hankerchief, a box of out of date Maltesers and a dog eared Ruth Rendall book, instead of the knowledge to educate everyone else. Everyone else saw through the smoke and mirrors so red-faced stomperchops packed up his 'My First Book of Engines' and marched off.
But we all know he's popping back to see what we're saying. And he knows we know....

I'd say that just about covers it.

Alan M - 15/2/12 at 08:35 PM

It seemed a shame that some people would rather take the p*** than debate something.

I am now at home with a G&T and my mood is improving

dray13dad - 15/2/12 at 08:35 PM

only question now is as the dust has settled who's going to clear up ?

Ps im not here to get up any bodys back just to read enjoy and maybe help other as im sure you lot would do for me..

Dave Ashurst - 15/2/12 at 08:40 PM

quote:
It seemed a shame that some people would rather take the p*** than debate something.

G&T... yay!!

daviep - 15/2/12 at 08:42 PM

mmm G&T......good plan Jeeves

stevebubs - 15/2/12 at 08:44 PM

quote:

And you don't want people to take the Michael?

Just seen your other posts on the XK8 and coil threads....welcome back!

40inches - 15/2/12 at 08:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:

And you don't want people to take the Michael?

Just seen your other posts on the XK8 and coil threads....welcome back!

Did he go away???????

MikeRJ - 15/2/12 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Ah, we had a pre-teen wiki-jockey who got hold of the wrong end of the stick so tried rummaging around in the World Wide Tombola

Just as well I wasn't drinking anything when I read that

sebastiaan - 15/2/12 at 09:05 PM

quote:

Sorry if I offended you. Wasn't meaning to.

steve m - 15/2/12 at 09:21 PM

G&T , is a poofs drink

hahahahaha

britishtrident - 15/2/12 at 10:32 PM

Moral is when in a hole throw away the shovel don't go out and buy a JCB.

lotusmadandy - 15/2/12 at 10:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
G&T , is a poofs drink

hahahahaha

pmsl

Andy

DRC INDY 7 - 16/2/12 at 12:51 AM

Shut the door on the way theres a good lad

MakeEverything - 16/2/12 at 07:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW

Whats better CEC or BEC

This has been answered numerous times..... BEC is better. Sorry for insulting you.

Phil

You don't know what you're talkin about.....

CEC is better..... (lighs the blue touch paper)

cliftyhanger - 16/2/12 at 07:46 AM

Surely there is a BIG clue in the name:

CAR engined car. .........That all seems correct.

Bike engined car......... Um, something wrong here.

Agriv8 - 16/2/12 at 08:45 AM

you just dont get the same level of 'Toy thrown out of the pram these days' CaLvInX was always lurking somewhere to stir things up in the good old days.

Calvin' I heard a rumor that you still browse from time to time 'From your Sunny Island Paridise'

I often find that your beliefs are of whats is correct depends on your knowlege level on the subject a few hundred years ago 'clever poeople' thought that earth was the cener of everything.

ATB Agriv8

D Beddows - 16/2/12 at 09:53 AM

That's because CalvinX was an ars*hole of the highest order - this is and has always been one of the most pleasant/friendliest/informative forums on the interweb........apart from the 2 years or so we were 'graced' with his presence - and no, I don't care if he's reading this

roadrunner - 16/2/12 at 10:25 AM

It would be a shame to loose anyone on here. Dont bite your nose to spite your face, this really is the best forum around.

Alan M - 16/2/12 at 11:48 AM

Sorry for my tantrum yesterday!

I'm back and will take constructive critisism very well as always.

For the record, I completed my C&G light vehicle technicians award in 1973, diesels were not at all common in thoses days, not used in cars and very rarely used in light commercials either.
I have worked in the motor trade all my working life but things have changed a lot! My first car had cable brakes, a 3 speed gearbox with no synchro on 1st, 6volt electrics, semaphore indicators and a side valve engine with a dynamo and gravity fed coolong system!
I still work in the trade, although now with fork lift trucks. The diesel versions are still using indirect injection; however they have used KERS for some time on electric trucks

I still believe that DPF was not installed by manufacturers just for a laugh but to counteract one of the issues of EGR. Consequently, if the DPF is disconnected what stops the exhaust from belching deposits? How does it get through the MOT smoke test? What would happen to a Cat equipped diesel, surely in time it will block the Cat?

Alan M - 16/2/12 at 11:51 AM

Obviously don't criticise the way I spelt criticism in my last post

Hellfire - 16/2/12 at 12:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
That's because CalvinX was an ars*hole of the highest order - this is and has always been one of the most pleasant/friendliest/informative forums on the interweb........apart from the 2 years or so we were 'graced' with his presence - and no, I don't care if he's reading this

Better than that! We're still graced with his presence. He re-registered under a different user name a while ago and posts on here quite regularly. His posts these days however, are nowhere near as abusive or contraversial as they were under his CalvinX alter ego but you can still see the potential in some of his comments.....

Phil

whitestu - 16/2/12 at 12:49 PM

quote:

Better than that! We're still graced with his presence. He re-registered under a different user name a while ago and posts on here quite regularly. His posts these days however, are nowhere near as abusive or contraversial as they were under his CalvinX alter ego but you can still see the potential in some of his comments.....

Phil

The mental image I had of CalvinX was this [Calvin is the one on the left]:

I wonder what he really looks like?

Stu

D Beddows - 16/2/12 at 12:52 PM

roadrunner - 16/2/12 at 12:54 PM

quote:
Sorry for my tantrum yesterday!

I'm back and will take constructive critisism very well as always.

For the record, I completed my C&G light vehicle technicians award in 1973, diesels were not at all common in thoses days, not used in cars and very rarely used in light commercials either.
I have worked in the motor trade all my working life but things have changed a lot! My first car had cable brakes, a 3 speed gearbox with no synchro on 1st, 6volt electrics, semaphore indicators and a side valve engine with a dynamo and gravity fed coolong system!
I still work in the trade, although now with fork lift trucks. The diesel versions are still using indirect injection; however they have used KERS for some time on electric trucks

I still believe that DPF was not installed by manufacturers just for a laugh but to counteract one of the issues of EGR. Consequently, if the DPF is disconnected what stops the exhaust from belching deposits? How does it get through the MOT smoke test? What would happen to a Cat equipped diesel, surely in time it will block the Cat?

I wouldn't be too concerned about how things have changed. I had to google DPF just to see what you was all talking about.

Agriv8 - 16/2/12 at 01:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
quote:

Phil

The mental image I had of CalvinX was this [Calvin is the one on the left]:

I wonder what he really looks like?

Stu

Met him once or twice struck me that his barck worce than his bite as I recall. he would make a good yorkshire man said what was on his brain and if you took offence or didnt agree that was your problem. Opininated yes Argumentative yes but intresting people tend to be. Some people enyoy the power of winding people up and having a right good argument !!

40inches - 16/2/12 at 03:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:

Phil

Who? Go on, give us a clue.

JoelP - 16/2/12 at 05:26 PM

CalvinEggs (tm) hard on the outside soft on the inside, according to him. He claimed to be speaking his mind, but you dont have to be rude to say what you mean. If he really was the nice chap that everyone who met him thought he was, then he was seriously bad at expressing himself.

If he is still posting on here, then his attitude has changed more than Pauls on the road to Damascus...

[Edited on 16/2/12 by JoelP]

scootz - 16/2/12 at 05:34 PM

It's not hard to work out what he is called now if you just use the search function and a wee bit of lateral thought...

FWIW, I can also add that I once spoke to him (on the phone) when he was still Calvin and he was a polite and helpful chap.

Some people just don't translate very well when they communicate using the written word!

steve m - 16/2/12 at 06:06 PM

Scootz, you are so right!

i have fallen foul, of typing a reply with what i thought, only to re read it again later to read somthing totally different !!!

Steve

NeilP - 16/2/12 at 06:44 PM

Wot-eva, the answer is CEC - I luuuurve my anchor

daviep - 16/2/12 at 08:18 PM

quote:

I'm guessing that you've probably never met Calvin? I met him a few times before he moved to sunnier climes, you couldn't meet a nicer chap.

Davie

T66 - 16/2/12 at 08:45 PM

Anyway - AlanM is back if you hadnt noticed.

Welcome back Alan ! Just dont take offence at anyone.

Locost replaces most other forums.

stick in

Ivan

lsdweb - 16/2/12 at 09:17 PM

Alan M

I don't know my EGR from my DPF - doesn't bother me!!

This is a really good forum (not seen better) - stick around mate! You won't find a better technical resource and one with a very relaxed 'attitude'!

I've had my spats on here and am currently a "vulture" :-) but I can live with that!!!

Regards

Wyn

JoelP - 21/2/12 at 03:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:

I'm guessing that you've probably never met Calvin? I met him a few times before he moved to sunnier climes, you couldn't meet a nicer chap.

Davie

I suspect he is a bit like my friend, good to his mates but bad news for a lot of other people. My chum got himself a life sentence with that attitude.

It does seem his written style hasnt changed much afterall!