Board logo

Gearbox Mount
smdl - 13/1/07 at 04:27 PM

Hi,

I have now finished the basic construction of my chassis, and am proceeding to stick stuff onto it. For those of you who have built your own chassis, I would appreciate any thoughts about proper methods of attaching a gearbox mount.

I am using a Westfield mount for my Type 9, and am planning to make an adpater channel out of of 2" tubing sliced in half lengthwise, but I am concerned about how to attach it to the chassis.

I don't want to just drill through the RHS and put a bolt through with a nut on the other end, as this would weaken the RHS, and also potentially compress it when tightened.

I could just find some tubing with an ID matching the bolts I am using, drill a hole in the RHS matching the OD of the tubing, and weld it in to allow a bolt to pass through, but how do I weld this in so it doesn't protrude from the RHS and impede the mount from fitting flush?

In a very similar manner, I could use a thick-walled tubing, and just tap that to the appropriate size for the mounting bolts, but the same problem exists. Do I just grind the tubing flush to the RHS and not be too overly concerned about strength?

I believe I have also seen an example (can't locate it now) of angle iron being welded to the chassis and the mount then being bolted to this. Is this a practical methoed?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Shaun

mark chandler - 13/1/07 at 04:52 PM

Tubing gets my vote, but then thats how I have added the occasional bolt hole.

You just drill the hole then using a ball pein hammer tap the hole edges to make them concave on both sides.

Insert the tube, leave it longer than required, and put a fillet weld around to fill the recess, then cut off flush and clean with a grinder.

Regards Mark

Mark Allanson - 13/1/07 at 05:43 PM

I just welded fillets to the chassis and made a cradle, almost 2 years on the road an no problems Rescued attachment WestyMount.jpg
Rescued attachment WestyMount.jpg

robertst - 14/1/07 at 12:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I just welded fillets to the chassis and made a cradle, almost 2 years on the road an no problems

ooh aye! yet another one of mark allanson's tricks from his hat! that is good!

i was just thinking on using the good ol' 3mm plate, weld it across, and then use the land rover gearbox mount i bought a while ago. problem is the threds dont match, but i guess theres a way around that.

James - 14/1/07 at 10:42 AM

Couple of plates of 3mm used for mine... 2000miles seems ok.

Cheers,
James

smdl - 14/1/07 at 05:14 PM

Thanks, gents. All great information!

Shaun

kp - 20/1/07 at 10:27 PM

the book suggests welding 25mm rhs to the lower trans tunnel tubes and drilling bolt holes.

Is there a problem with this solution?

Mark Allanson - 21/1/07 at 10:28 PM

..drilling bolt holes into what?

James - 24/1/07 at 02:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kp
the book suggests welding 25mm rhs to the lower trans tunnel tubes and drilling bolt holes.

Is there a problem with this solution?

You'll crush the tube if you do it up tight.

Cheers,
James