Board logo

R1 Cooling fan not kicking in
Kriss - 9/8/11 at 04:29 PM

Hi all,

My fan normally kicks in at 97ish (ont he koso temp gauge) but at the Ring in traffic it hit 108 deg and still didnt kick in?

Its a %pw and I dont know were to start looking.

car was amazing out there by the way - not a BEC killer like so many say!

adithorp - 9/8/11 at 08:36 PM

If you're still on the bike loom and with an aftermarket fan (rather than the original it could just be the fuse. I had the original size in and the bigger fan blew it one day. Couldn't find any other problem so upper the fuse 5amps and been fine ever since.

fege - 10/8/11 at 01:47 PM

I'm having the same problem on my R1 MNR. The 7,5 A fuse blows when I engage the fan. The stock R1 fan is replaced by a bigger Pacet fan so I also suspect that I need to beef up the fuse.

[Edited on 10/8/11 by fege]

fege - 10/8/11 at 06:13 PM

I switched to a 10 A fuse when I got home from work and now the fan runs like it should.

Kriss - 11/8/11 at 07:54 AM

any ideas on location within the box though or fuse number?

r1_pete - 11/8/11 at 08:01 AM

Incoperating a relay in the circuit, switching the relay using the original fan wires, and a new high current feeds to the fan would be the 'elegant' solution IMO.
The original circuit was rated at 5 amps for a reason.

Proby - 11/8/11 at 12:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Incoperating a relay in the circuit, switching the relay using the original fan wires, and a new high current feeds to the fan would be the 'elegant' solution IMO.
The original circuit was rated at 5 amps for a reason.

Exactly, very wise advice. Be very careful upgrading the rated fuse without upgrading the wiring.

fege - 11/8/11 at 01:33 PM

As said, a wise advice. In my case the wires have been upgraded.

Kriss - 11/8/11 at 02:19 PM

but where is the blimin' fuse homies lol

adithorp - 11/8/11 at 02:46 PM

Depends on the year of R1. On the 04-06 it's in the fuse box. Little black plastic box with "FUSES" on the top. Open the lid and there's a list in the lid (there's only 4 or 5 from memory). Where exactly thats been put on the car is difficult to guess.

fege - 11/8/11 at 05:49 PM

On my 4XV, if yo uhold the fuse box with the fuse marked "SIGNAL" towards you you should have a row of 6 fuses. The first from the right is 15A, the second 20A and then comes the 7.5A fan fuse. I hope this makes sense to you. If I remember correctly the remaining three fuses in the row are spares.