Board logo

caterham busa build blog starts here!
daniel mason - 6/10/12 at 07:56 PM

good day today by my mediocre standards. start of day,caterham k series looked like this

the first job was to remove the exhaust system so we went at it!

silencer off

collecctor off

then it was time for intake plenum to be removed

ECU and battery off

daniel mason - 6/10/12 at 08:03 PM

car has an anti cav oil system to stop oil surge

so i removed this also

then fuel pressure sender and fittings taken off

welderman - 6/10/12 at 08:15 PM

I'm watching

daniel mason - 6/10/12 at 08:28 PM

it will be slow progress with me mate!

austin man - 6/10/12 at 08:33 PM

come on man we can remove a full 2 litre zetec in 23 minutes from an Indy. im away for a week hopefully you will have it finished on my return

daniel mason - 6/10/12 at 08:40 PM

you probably forgetting the indy is like a bus compared to this
all ancillaries need to be removed before there is enough room to get engine out.including engine support struts.inlet and exhaust manifolds, alternator etc all removed today!

austin man - 6/10/12 at 08:42 PM

excuses excuses, you should be in the garage now and getting it finished off otherwise you will miss next season lol

daniel mason - 6/10/12 at 08:44 PM

oh, and a massive thanks to andrew jackson (unijacko67) who is storing my 2007 busa motor in his garage,hiding it from my mrs,and allowing me to work on it at nights!

unijacko67 - 6/10/12 at 08:47 PM

Whats the rush, when you planning to be on the road with it Dan.

welderman - 6/10/12 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
it will be slow progress with me mate!

I'm just as bad lol

daniel mason - 6/10/12 at 08:52 PM

before you!
if its not done by mid feb i will hang myself!
everything should be out next weekend, meaning i can fit the sbd dry sump and get a cradle made up. exhaust, ecu, fpr and gear linkage kit are due to arrive this week.

unijacko67 - 6/10/12 at 09:06 PM

I don’t think mines quite ready for M.O.T yet, but would like it on the road before Christmas. The big question is which Christmas????????

BigLee - 7/10/12 at 10:43 AM

Slow and steady wins the race. I rushed and dropped my bottom coolant hose at 85mph and still accelerating hard. Although I fitted a new engine, I never really bonded with the MNR after that. Do it once, do it properly. If you need a hand, I'm not that far away. Although you'll have to put up with a supercharged hairdresser outside your house! If you're lucky, I'll grab Joe on the way!

daniel mason - 7/10/12 at 11:16 AM

could work out well lee as my cars in my dads garage! that way people wont think i hang around with hairdressers, but they will think my dad does!
thanks for the offer mate. and to be honest i never bonded with my last mnr the same as i did with my first one! cheers

welderman - 8/10/12 at 10:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BigLee
Slow and steady wins the race. I rushed and dropped my bottom coolant hose at 85mph and still accelerating hard. Although I fitted a new engine, I never really bonded with the MNR after that. Do it once, do it properly. If you need a hand, I'm not that far away. Although you'll have to put up with a supercharged hairdresser outside your house! If you're lucky, I'll grab Joe on the way!

Look forward to it Lee

emwmarine - 9/10/12 at 07:37 AM

What are you doing with the k-series type 9?

daniel mason - 14/10/12 at 04:51 PM

all being sold mate and theres already a queue forming. so if interested please contact.cheers

daniel mason - 14/10/12 at 04:59 PM

good bit of progress this weekend, got the engine out

and srtripped the wiring from the dash

Then trial fit my dry sump tank

daniel mason - 14/10/12 at 05:13 PM

also all my bits turned up which i bought second hand from another caterham owner. very pleased with what ive got now.
force motorsport stainless exhaust system

ARC gear linkage kit with quickshifter load cell

got myself an sbd dry sump kit

a bosch electric waterpump

and an sx fuel pressure regulator and fittings

And finally an mbe 992 ecu and sbd coms box and lead for live mapping

unijacko67 - 14/10/12 at 06:26 PM

Exhaust and sump looks good Dan, good find.

daniel mason - 14/10/12 at 06:49 PM

thanks andrew. am quite pleased with it all. dont mind second hand as long as its good quality.

van cleef - 20/10/12 at 07:16 PM

Quite a collection of bits you have there.

Must be a descent car already?

Ill be watching this as I've thought about going down the exact same route using the tried and tested caterham.

unijacko67 - 20/10/12 at 08:12 PM

Yeah agree, getting a bit inspired by Dan as he seems to be on a mission.

daniel mason - 20/10/12 at 08:35 PM

was a great car before, but a slightly underpowered 1.4 k series means it would not be competative as a hillclimber of sprinter.
the guys at playskool motorsport took my k series package this week and were very helpful with my questions regarding the busa install. i would highly recommend them if anyone wants anything doing.
been a slow week this week as im waiting on a sump gasket from sbd and a mbe wiring harness. also worked today so not done anything. apart from secure the deal on a full data logging dash setup with video overlay from cosworth.
im after a high spec car as im not the best driver and i aim to compete!
as soon as the gasket arrives ill be round jackos to fit the dry sump.
engine mounts still need sorting but have forund a supplier.

Relph - 20/10/12 at 10:37 PM

Looking good mate, love the exhaust manifold.

theduck - 20/10/12 at 10:47 PM

Let me get this straight, you bought a busa engine, and hid it at someone elses house so the wife wouldn't notice? Wish I could hide such a large purchase! Mine caught me out on a borrowed ball joint splitter she thought I had bought, and I quite

"why do you keep buying more tools you'll only use once?"

beaver34 - 21/10/12 at 07:37 AM

Looks great,

But I've never seen a dry sump tank like that, will it work ok not being round?

daniel mason - 21/10/12 at 10:06 AM

the tank is from a radical pr6 dry sumped busa so i hope its ok. do they need to be round?

daniel mason - 27/10/12 at 08:09 PM

ordered a load more stuff from sbd this week. including a sump gasket for a dry sump setup so i will fit that tomorrow.
1st was a busa high flow fuel rail

a billet clutch slave for the d/s setup

and a wiring harness with can leads and throttle blip for full throttle upshifts

daniel mason - 27/10/12 at 08:23 PM

i then had to fit the fuel rail which meant stripping the throttle bodies bare

i then had to modify the injector harness as the new loom is designed for uprated injectors and im usiong standard type for now. fitting kit came with kit. 1st i had to remove the injector harness from the throttle bodies

cut the loom and strip wires back. slide the heat shrink on

fit the connectors and heat shrink them

and finally the looms done

daniel mason - 28/10/12 at 06:05 PM

got my dry sump done today and was amazed how straight forward it was. the sbd instructions were spot on and it didnt take long at all! really happy with how it all fitted together

scootz - 28/10/12 at 06:14 PM

franky - 28/10/12 at 07:22 PM

Looking good

daniel mason - 28/10/12 at 07:41 PM

thank guys. heres a couple more for the kids amongst us. you just have to!

unijacko67 - 17/11/12 at 08:19 PM

Anymore progress and pictures Dan.

daniel mason - 17/11/12 at 08:38 PM

dont dare post any mate. decided on stripping out all wiring today to tidy up and it seems to have turned into a full re wire. its in bits at the moment. still waiting on my engine mounts to make progress,but its been 4 weeks now and still waiting!
got my kumho v700's fit today though so they look ok. and re routed some dash wiring. next weekend i should make some good progress.