Board logo

What’s the best pre-80’s engine
locost15 - 24/8/11 at 02:43 PM

Hi guys,

I have a replica lotus 11 / 15 I’ve been working on it for years, its a early Ron Champion project (+/- 1988) so basically a book chassis with extension and a very early extended Lotus 15 body... GTS Engineering offer the latest development.

Anyway I’m thinking again of engine choice, I would like a pre 80’s engine and box, the easiest route is a Ford 1600cc with 4 speed; but also thinking

- Jaguar 6 cylinder - too big
- Lotus Eclat 2.0 twin cam – measured too big
- Lotus / Ford twink – I fear for the price
- 1275 A series – very expensive to tune and also becoming expensive to buy
- Triumph ?
- Fiat twin cam – know nothing about them..
- And of course the Coventry Climax – way out of budget

Its fitted with Triumph suspension, steering and Ford rear axle, Now as I live in Belgium and need to registrar it locally I should stick to a old engine.....

Any ideas ...

alistairolsen - 24/8/11 at 02:48 PM

depending on the rules, find a 2.0 8v vauxhall block and a manta gearbox and then rebuilt it with an XE head and internals :p

speedyxjs - 24/8/11 at 02:51 PM

Daimler V8 if the Jag S6 is too big/heavy

britishtrident - 24/8/11 at 03:06 PM

Leaving the obvious Xflo, Pinto, Valencia aside for now. The early CVH is out of it as it came out in 1980.

Best bet is a BMC A series Marina cheap enough too tune if you don't want enormous power

Chrysler Sunbeam 928cc engine & box --- rare but very light most of the hot Imp bits can be fitted.
Chrysler Averger engine

Climax fire pump engines are relative cheap to buy but expensive to mod for use in a car.

The 1500 Triumph engines have fragile bottom ends, smaller versions less of a problem.

The BMC B series is goo but big and heavy and the BL 1700 O series only came out in late 1980.

johnq - 24/8/11 at 03:21 PM

i am building a similar project but have not yet soursed a body/no money, but would like some pics of your chassis/extensions etc, sincerely john,

johnq - 24/8/11 at 03:24 PM

to add to my last post ,i would consider a crossflow or even a pre crossflow would suit the car and chassis setup,

whitestu - 24/8/11 at 03:40 PM

Fiat / Lancia twin cam would be my choice.

Stu

Surrey Dave - 24/8/11 at 04:12 PM

'A' series, Ford Crossflow, Ford Pre Crossflow

JimSpencer - 24/8/11 at 04:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu

Stu

Yup, and me.. a 70's lump c.w five speed box, RWD as it comes, and sometimes with a nice pair of webbers too, sound lovely..

Volvorsport - 24/8/11 at 05:00 PM

youll find plenty of old volvo engines in belgium.....

Ivan - 24/8/11 at 05:27 PM

I would go for an early twincam 1600 alfa engine - very reliable, light and has twin sidedafts - assuming you can find one of course. Another truly great engine is the Renault Gordini 1300 (also very light) which is also an incredible engine that comes standard with twin sidedrafts (mine would rev to 8750 RPM) - it's the only engine I ever had that had static timing set at TDC - maybe because it had a pre-combustion chamber with nozzles firing into the main combustion chamber - similar to some deisels I believe.

Another great engine is the BMW motor from the 2002 models.

coozer - 24/8/11 at 05:38 PM

900 Fireblade??

scudderfish - 24/8/11 at 06:16 PM

Rover V8!

Kwik - 24/8/11 at 07:15 PM

A series if you want to keep plugging up oil leaks...

JC - 24/8/11 at 07:22 PM

If you want a Coventry Climax, hunt out a Green Goddess Fire engine - the water pumps used Climax engines that can be adapted for use!

imp paul - 24/8/11 at 07:50 PM

what about lotus sunbeam 2.3 engine twin cam monster i would stay clear of A series its a lead balloon with a crap gear box i know as i have few jk gear boxes oops lol

[Edited on 24/8/11 by imp paul]

iank - 24/8/11 at 07:54 PM

Hillman Imp engine is a development of, and very similar to, the Climax. But probably not a very practical choice compared to others on your list.

thunderace - 24/8/11 at 08:10 PM

bda BDD BDG engine.all around £20k

Confused but excited. - 24/8/11 at 08:42 PM

quote:

Stu

+2 The Fiat twink is easily obtainable, cheap and eminently tunable.

locost15 - 25/8/11 at 10:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:

Stu

+2 The Fiat twink is easily obtainable, cheap and eminently tunable.

Thanks for the input, I rather fancy a fiat / lancia twin cam... any ideas where to start looking apart from fleebay... I'll also need a gearbox....

Or it will be a Ford 1600 which is a little boring (sorry don't want to offend) everything else is heavy, poor on power or massive money...

cheers Matt

whitestu - 25/8/11 at 10:44 AM

Rusty Lancia Betas are a good source of engines. Thye still come up cheaply every so often.
Fiat 124's have RWD boxes but pretty rare now. Another option is a type 9 with an appropriate bellhousing.

bartonp - 25/8/11 at 10:58 AM

Lancia 1300 V4 DOHC (just to be different)

[Edited on 25/8/11 by bartonp]

blakep82 - 25/8/11 at 11:08 AM

small block chevy V8, obviously

nz_climber - 28/8/11 at 09:26 AM

why not look to the Japanese, Toyota T series engines, or R series or Kseries are about the vintage you are after.. all of which have rwd gearboxes available..

[Edited on 28/8/11 by nz_climber]

probablyleon - 28/8/11 at 10:57 AM

I needed to rebuild my fiat twincam a few years back and found the parts very tricky / expensive to come by (standard parts being almost impossible). I really liked the engine but for this reason alone wouldn't go there again. Long gone are the days where Fiat/Lancia TCs offered cheap thrills. Its mostly just Fiat/Lancia enthusiasts, that have to take this route these days. If you do decide to go down this path make sure you talk to Guy Croft, (he's one of the main, if not only) people still seriously tuning them. Just to make sure you can stomach the prices associated.

Sam_68 - 29/8/11 at 07:52 PM

Depending on how accurate the bodywork is, beware engine height. Very few engines fit under the bonnet of an Eleven (and still fewer under the bonnet of a 15) without a large and unsightly bonnet bulge.

The original Climax engines were canted over to get them under the bonnet line. Lotus Twin Cams and Fiat Twin Cams will fit without a bulge if you dry sump them, but that's a fairly big cost. I believe the Ford Crossflow could be made to fit Westfield's Eleven replica without a bulge or dry sumping, but it was pretty marginal and I wouldn't like to say whether the same will be true for the Champion 11/15.

If you want some hint at authenticity, Alfa Twin Cams and Rover (Buick) V8's were fitted in period; the latter to Dizzy Addicot's 15, a replica of which is for sale at the moment at Paul Matty Sports Cars:

http://www.paulmattysportscars.co.uk/showroom/stock-detail.aspx?id=2072

Again, both will need a big bonnet bulge...

ss1turbo - 30/8/11 at 10:40 AM

It all depends if you want something small, powerful or cheap - pick any 2!

There are some jewels of engines from that period; The basic Imp engine was around in the Talbot Samba/Peugeot 104 as well with some improvements and I think all the bits still fit but I don't know of a bolt-on RWD gearbox. Might be a bit small and down on power, but what about the Reliant 850 - all alloy and I believe there are a lot of ex-750MC high power engines floating around. RWD box as standard, its a very small and light lump (all alloy - one man lift ) but you'll be hard pushed to get 100bhp out of one. Belgium was one of their larger export markets for the 3 wheelers, or plenty available in the UK.

BMW M10 is ready-canted over (to a point), plenty of bits available and its what they used in F1 when they were in the 1.5 litre + HUGE turbo days....just find an E21 3 series or an early 516/518...easier than finding a 2002.

What about a Mazda rotary - although not sure how good the rotor seals were back then...

PSA XU lump is post-1980 from memory?

whitestu - 30/8/11 at 12:10 PM

What about an Alfa flat 4? You would need a custom bell housing but the Alfa boxer is one of the best 4 cylinder motors ever!

Spares are still easy enough to get I think.

IMHO of course.

Stu

locost15 - 31/8/11 at 11:02 AM

Found a chap here in Belgium who has a massive fiat / lancia & Abarth stock... but not cheap, I'm planning on paying him a visit...

The problem with my car is its very heavy, thick fibreglass body and the chassis extensions are all steel so no comparison to either a original or Westfield. I looked at the Westfield the first time around and the sales person at the time convinced me and himself the 1275 A isn’t powerful enough within a sensible budget and he was recommending Ford xflows... so any smaller capacity is out. I would like at least a 1500cc 100hp + ..

I had a old Alfa Twin cam knocking around once, beautiful looking... sold it... (stupid idea)..

I’ll double check the engine heights again...

Cheers
Matt

MikeRJ - 31/8/11 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by imp paul
i would stay clear of A series its a lead balloon with a crap gear box i know as i have few jk gear boxes oops lol

A lead balloon that will be running long after the imp engine has self destructed

My vote is for a Cosworth BDA, but back in the real world of budgetary constraints I think a Kent crossflow would be a sensible choice as it's still widely supported.

[Edited on 31/8/11 by MikeRJ]

ettore bugatti - 1/9/11 at 07:33 PM

Other engines would be a one from MGA/MGB or the Triumph TR3/4 engine.

They aren't engine with the highest specific output, but there are plenty of parts available and rwd suitable.

I believe there is a bit Opel scene in Belgium so a engine from a period Rekord/ Manta/ GT might be nice as well.