Board logo

MX5 fuel worry
liam.mccaffrey - 14/1/08 at 02:17 PM

im feverishly ripping my donor car to piece so that i can start building my chassis.

Last night i unbolted the fuel tank and the feed/return lines.

when the tank droppped some fuel sloshed out of the filler neck, not a problem except it was bright green! Like the colour of mountain dew.

Then when i took fuel lines out they were full of this orange snot.

The engine was out of the car when i bought it. What do you think this is and will it have affected the engine?

I have a spare good engine btw

nib1980 - 14/1/08 at 03:39 PM

thats very old unleaded fuel, needs to be stripped and cleaned, if the engine was a carb it will have varnished the internals and ruined the brass work.

fingers crossed you'll be OK with a flush out

liam.mccaffrey - 14/1/08 at 04:12 PM

how old? it came out of a FI 91 miata

[Edited on 14/1/08 by liam.mccaffrey]

nib1980 - 14/1/08 at 04:18 PM

I've seen it happen in under 6 weeks, with poor fuel quality, if your in the USA, it's not the best fuel in the world. depends how old the engine is really.

It can last happily for upto 6 months

[Edited on 14/1/08 by nib1980]

liam.mccaffrey - 14/1/08 at 04:28 PM

in the US yes, hope the engine is ok!

RK - 15/1/08 at 03:42 AM

I think you've done the smart thing getting a hold of an MX5 donor. Too bad in Canada they're so expensive or I would've done the same.

Check Keith Tanner, if you haven't already.

www.cheapsportscar.net

Keith Tanner - 26/1/08 at 07:20 AM

I'd recommend having the injectors cleaned - or at least, go to town on them with some carb cleaner. I'm seeing more Miatas with clogged injectors these days. I don't know if it's a matter of the cars being less valuable and thus more likely to sit, or a change in fuel formulation. I suspect it's the latter...

The engine should be just fine. A peek under the valve cover should give a hint. While it's off, give it a shot of silver spray paint and it'll look like you spent a lot of effort on cleaning things up