Board logo

own designed atom styly
vtecmike - 13/7/10 at 06:12 PM

HI everybody ,
im mike living out in france , i thought i would share with you what ive been helping my brother in law building. we are both young guys who are total petrol heads.

Firstly, Reg my brother in law is a mecanical engineer and wanted to build himself a track car, not that he even drives on track!
thats my job
When he saw the atom for the 1st time, that was what he wanted !

He designed the car using cad, then set about building it.
Well that was a mission as it was in a single garage...
The car has a 2.0 turbo lump fitted from the renault megane and has been fitted with a standalone ecu and digital AIM dash with shift lights.The engine is now pushing out 260bhp.
The suspension is fully rose jointed.

I will try and update this update this post as i can and will give you the full specs later on, so what do people think?
the possitive and the negs , just want to know peoples views.
It took about a 1 and a half years, now we are testing it on the track! good times!

here are some photos i will get some more though.

We will be starting a haynes roadster soon and it will be fitted with a 1.8 nissan turbo.
http://picasaweb.google.com/108492714415649762152/BuildTheBeast?authkey=Gv1sRgCMnsi7P71qSbqQE&feat=directlink

RichardK - 13/7/10 at 06:20 PM

Looking good there, not quite sure on rear fiberglass top cover, cant put my finger on it but just looks kind of out of place, is to duct air into the engine.

You do need to be congratualated as its an outstanding bit of work.

Take care

Rich

ashg - 13/7/10 at 06:24 PM

i cant say it looks pretty because it doesn't but im sure its very fun to drive.

i have built a roadster. it should be easy for you after doing that.

designer - 13/7/10 at 06:33 PM

Really good work.

Where are you?

vtecmike - 13/7/10 at 06:35 PM

no, its not pretty, it is fun though and thats what it was built for, i spend most of my time on track drifting!

thanks mike

vtecmike - 13/7/10 at 06:36 PM

thanks, were in the poitou charente 16,

thanks mike

JoelP - 13/7/10 at 06:44 PM

good effort! Someone is good with a bender.

ReMan - 13/7/10 at 06:50 PM

I like the front moulding a lot, the car looks evry good.
have to agree that the rear moulding is just a bit OTT, literally

scootz - 13/7/10 at 06:51 PM

Looks fab! Well done!

vtecmike - 13/7/10 at 07:04 PM

thanks guys, it is the prototype so things may change , we were thinking of getting a designer to sort some bodywork out.
i agree the back panel isnt quite right, i think its to high, but the scoops are there for a reason , 1 is for the intake and the other is for the intercooler.

The bodywork was done buy some french guy in his wooden shack, all done by eye without plans, we just let his imagination decide, not to bad considering

Werner Van Loock - 13/7/10 at 07:23 PM

looking good, but i think that you should drop the engine a little to lower the roll centre and get a smaller angle on the drive shafts, engine seems a bit high in the chassis, maybe for second chassis?

But looks very good apart from the rear bodywork (dropping the engine also helps there)

well done and have fun

nitram38 - 13/7/10 at 07:32 PM

Can't put my finger on it but I think I've seen that chassis before!
Well done for walking the walk and building it!

Description
Description

[Edited on 13/7/2010 by nitram38]

big_wasa - 13/7/10 at 07:45 PM

Well done... There are bits I like and bits I dont but I think the fact you have built it is great.....

Xtreme Kermit - 13/7/10 at 07:54 PM

Wow!

Looks like great fun