Board logo

brakes and IVA
morfy - 7/12/10 at 12:18 PM

hi all have not been on here for some time, so lost touch a bit with my build.

I have made a peddle box with duel master brakes and a balance bar.
will this still be ok for the IVA test ( if locked ) or do I need to change it??

cheers

speedyxjs - 7/12/10 at 12:27 PM

Needs to be welded iirc

big-vee-twin - 7/12/10 at 12:30 PM

No longer needs welding latest IVA suggests lockwire or similar

morfy - 7/12/10 at 12:37 PM

cheers

do i need seperate resevoirs and if so does both need low level senders??

thanks

blakep82 - 7/12/10 at 12:38 PM

you could have one resevoir, but if you have 2, both need low level thingys yeah

adithorp - 7/12/10 at 01:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
No longer needs welding latest IVA suggests lockwire or similar

In addition it needs a label to say not to adjust. Think the wording is in the manual.

Single or double resevoir is fine but both must have low level warning if double used.

stevegough - 7/12/10 at 08:18 PM

Welding was brought in when the SVA changed to IVA in april '09 - and by may they had dropped it due to a sudden rush of common sense - now the balance bar needs to be drilled and lockwired (you can do this during the test, but don't do what I did and snap the drillbits off) - 'cos it is a pig to do unless you have a small drill and arms like a baboon!

The actual wording from the manual:

Note 5: Bias bars and other mechanical adjusting devices fitted to twin master cylinders must be rendered inoperable by mechanical means
e.g. lockwiring of components.

The two master cylinders ideally need to be slightly different sizes - 0.625 and 0.7 (the larger for the front iirc).

[ later edit after checking the build manual: sorry - duff gen... the larger is actually for the REAR brakes ].

If you use two resevoirs, both have to have low level switches.

You need a sticker like this one from CBS posted within 100mm of the filling ports - dot

And you need to post a notice worded:

" Adjusting front/rear brake bias may invalidate approval and breach Construction and Use requirements."

[Edited on 8/12/10 by stevegough]

[Edited on 8/12/10 by stevegough]