Board logo

Alarm / immobiliser and IVA
corrado vr6 - 13/9/13 at 07:12 PM

Hi there,

I've just had my letter for confirmation of my IVA test in southampton through the post today, however at the bottom of the letter it says if there is an alarm / immobiliser fitted (which there is) then I must supply an original certificate of installation from an approved installer to show that it meets the European directive requirements.

However I have fitted it myself and I'm sure I read on here not so long ago that this rule was no longer and you could fit it yourself, am I wrong? And it just an old template letter?

If I have to get a certificate I will but I'm sure that I read that it was no longer an IVA requirement anymore

Can anyone confirm?

Cheers Greg

Sloan85 - 13/9/13 at 07:31 PM

Had my iva in nottingham on 04/09/13. He took the immobiliser fob off the keyring to test it but didn't ask for any certificates.

Davegtst - 13/9/13 at 07:35 PM

I had my Iva this time last year and had the same thing about having a certificate. The tester didn't even check it worked at all.

corrado vr6 - 13/9/13 at 08:09 PM

Okey doke, I know it's different at each centre but that sounds promising cheers chaps!

Dave Bailey - 13/9/13 at 10:30 PM

Don't worry I challenged this statement and basically the tester said no longer a requirement.... Basically he admitted we can build a car so to ask for a cert for installing a few wires was a little ridiculous.....

Dave B

corrado vr6 - 13/9/13 at 10:31 PM

Lol great reply

Dave Bailey - 13/9/13 at 11:20 PM

By the way my iva was in Southampton about a month ago...

If you want me to share my experience let me know. ...
Dave B

corrado vr6 - 13/9/13 at 11:23 PM

If its no trouble I would be grateful to hear how it went for you, either on here or via u2u

Cheers Greg

big-vee-twin - 14/9/13 at 08:44 AM

You can fit either a mechanical steering lock, as provided by the Sierra steering column, or if this is not present an electronic immobiliser must be fitted.

I guess if you have both they accept the mechanical device and ignor the immobiliser.

Dave Bailey - 15/9/13 at 03:09 PM

No problem.. Happy to have a call... U2u me your number......

Dave B

renetom - 15/9/13 at 05:03 PM

Hi
As far as I know its only the alarm that needs certification
We have a Toad immobiliser which does not need certification
The inspector did check it worked on our IVA
disable the alarm & you should be ok.
good luck
René

The Black Flash - 16/9/13 at 10:37 PM

Yep - definately used to say that you needed a cert for an immobiliser, but they changed it some years ago, so that you no longer do.