Board logo

certificate of age of engine required?
joscorstjens - 24/12/06 at 12:28 AM

Hi, I'm nearly ready to present my cat to SVA. Apparently I need to have a certificate stating the age of my 1987 Pinto engine. Where and how can I obtain this?
There is a casted "15 12 87" in the engine block. Would that be sufficient to 'state' the age of the motor?
tia

Simon - 24/12/06 at 01:05 AM

I'm sure someone who's already done it with a Pinto will be along soon, but I'd have thought approaching Ford would be as good a place to start, as any.

ATB

Simon

macnab - 24/12/06 at 01:22 AM

I asked the same question a wee while ago, Burton Power Catalogue (can order one off the website for free, that’s a point. where’s mine????) anyway. From that it should apparently show the age to your engine and use that as proof. Though the number you quote does sound at tad odd, isn't there suppose to be a couple off letters in there?? Birrr it cold out there!! Just checked my pinto and yip is got 8 characters (beside the alternator) and the 3 & 4th are letters, BM in my case. If you have a look at a post I put a few weeks ago on this forum topic link thing called 'engine age table' or something like that you will be able to tell the age of your engine. Cool!

Alternatively you may have a new made up number on it and in that case your screw'd!! only kidding

Worst case scenario just find out the last Ford model with a pinto and hit them with that...

macnab - 24/12/06 at 01:26 AM

Would you look at that, there's someone else up at this time off night!! Go to bed!! I have an excuse, I've got tooth ache…I’m off to watch some telly. Hopefully it will bore me to sleep…

joscorstjens - 24/12/06 at 02:06 AM

The actual number is 10 characters long and contains 'HM'. Does this sound like the serial number of an engine? (I assumed that the 15 12 87 would refer to it's manufacturing date?

thunderace - 24/12/06 at 09:17 AM

i have a chart that is
november 1987

thunderace - 24/12/06 at 09:25 AM

u2u me your email adress for full chart if you have word and print it out and show them it or just let them keep it .

Simon - 24/12/06 at 02:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by macnab
I've got tooth ache……

Get some Clove oil - it works a treat! You don't need toothache over Christmas.

ATB

Simon

mike.williams1 - 24/12/06 at 04:03 PM

ring fords technical dept give them the engine number they will send a letter with the age of your engine use this as proof of age when you sva the car

joscorstjens - 25/12/06 at 12:11 AM

Does anyone know their email-address?

Dusty - 25/12/06 at 03:28 AM

Ford engine numbers are two letters followed by five numbers. i.e. AB 12345 On the pinto these are stamped on a raised machined surface below the exhaust manifold face and in front of the engine mount bolt holes.
There should also be an engine code like NES, NET, NRB, N4A stamped on the web, exhaust side again at the flywheel end of the engine above where the '9 o'clock' engine to bellhousing bolt goes through. These tell you what the pinto was originally fitted in. i.e. NRB or N4A fuel injected 2.0L sierra. NES or NET 2.0L carb sierra.
You can get a letter from the ford tech dept at;

Ford Technical Information Centre
PO Box 300
Walsall
WS5 4QH

They are usually very helpful and quick.

[Edited on 25/12/06 by Dusty]