Board logo

Brake pipes
Stuart_B - 8/1/08 at 05:14 PM

hi, i done my rear brake pipes and i was wondering would i be allowed for the sva?

Thanks

Stuart Rescued attachment parts 11157.jpg
Rescued attachment parts 11157.jpg

Stuart_B - 8/1/08 at 05:15 PM

And this

Stuart Rescued attachment parts 11156.jpg
Rescued attachment parts 11156.jpg

Stuart_B - 8/1/08 at 05:16 PM

And one more

Stuart Rescued attachment parts 11155.jpg
Rescued attachment parts 11155.jpg

matt_claydon - 8/1/08 at 05:32 PM

Looks fine to me, as long as the flexis don't rub on the chassis or wishbones.

[Edited on 8/1/08 by matt_claydon]

RazMan - 8/1/08 at 05:33 PM

Can't see anything obviously wrong there..... apart from the humungous pics

[Edited on 8-1-08 by RazMan]

02GF74 - 8/1/08 at 05:33 PM

let me guess, Santa brought you a new 10 Mega pixie camera and a utlra wide LCD screen

look ok to me although black P-clips are the fashion for 2008.

NB some SVA centres have been known to fail exposed braid on the hoses - sharp edges would you believe? - to play it safe, wrap some convoluted tubing over them with cable ties.

matt_claydon - 8/1/08 at 05:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

NB some SVA centres have been known to fail exposed braid on the hoses - sharp edges would you believe? - to play it safe, wrap some convoluted tubing over them with cable ties.

No rules for sharp edges amongst the rear suspension!

Stuart_B - 8/1/08 at 05:47 PM

Sorry about the big picture, thank you for the quick replys.

Thank you

Stuart

indykid - 8/1/08 at 06:02 PM

what have you done with the other end of the flexi at the upright/wheel end?

tom

Stuart_B - 8/1/08 at 06:12 PM

i have done this

picture below:

Stuart Rescued attachment parts 11149.jpg
Rescued attachment parts 11149.jpg

matt_claydon - 8/1/08 at 06:43 PM

The hub end needs to be supported where it meets the flexi, else eventually the copper pipe will fatigue and split.

Avoneer - 8/1/08 at 06:45 PM

The union in the last pic between flexi and solid needs a solid mouting as well.

Pat...

Avoneer - 8/1/08 at 06:45 PM

Damn, beaten to a reply again.

Pat...

Stuart_B - 8/1/08 at 06:50 PM

so i will have to weld a bracket on to the hub, what size steel will i need to use, has any one got any pics of the bracket??

thank you

Stuart

rusty nuts - 8/1/08 at 06:57 PM

I made a bracket that is held in place by one of the suspension bolts and made the metal pipe to suit.

David Jenkins - 8/1/08 at 07:17 PM

They can fail braided flexy pipes if they're rubbing against other things, like brake pipes, electrics, or similar. The braiding can work like a file against other surfaces!

John Bonnett - 8/1/08 at 07:42 PM

I used small Spirap for wrapping the braided flexibles from Car Builder Solutions and they went through SVA without the tester batting an eyelid.

John

bigbird - 8/1/08 at 08:05 PM

my bet is that little yellow bung in the T piece will leak.

Stuart_B - 8/1/08 at 08:57 PM

i am have not done the other side yet i need a brake flaring tool, so i can shorten it.

stuart

vinnievector - 9/1/08 at 07:27 AM

Picked up two things you might want to look at ,as your pipe gose over the diff support brackets you might get some chaffing their ,also at the wheel hub end where you have your solid brake pipe from your wheel cylinder to your flexi hose there is no support braket .

attached some picks of my set if it helps Rescued attachment Picture 219.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 219.jpg

tks - 9/1/08 at 06:43 PM

also its best to give each side on the T the same lenght!

it wil result in the same pressure losts both rear wheels wil act more the same while unther braking.

Tks

RazMan - 9/1/08 at 06:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tks

it wil result in the same pressure losts both rear wheels wil act more the same while unther braking.

It makes no difference whatever length the pipes are - you are still moving the same volume of fluid so the pressure is still the same.

NS Dev - 10/1/08 at 11:31 AM

two points, already covered but:

1) bracket in 3mm ish steel to support the flexi to copper junction near the drum (weld a bit of 3 mm strip on or hold it with a bolt head)

2) flexi looks like its rubbing the chassis?? If it is it will fail. Just slacken the end fittings and rotate the flexi to a safe position and lock them up again.

DarrenW - 10/1/08 at 12:11 PM

Why cant the flexy be screwed straight into the wheel cylinder?

Stuart_B - 10/1/08 at 02:10 PM

so 3mm steel is need for the brackets, and if the flexi is touching the chassis,can i wrap something around the flexi??

Thanks

Stuart

DarrenW - 10/1/08 at 03:25 PM

Im pretty sure if the flexi is prone to touching (and think when being driven) that it will need to be re-routed so it wont or secured. Wrapping it with something wont stop the contact.

I fitted flexi's direct to wheel cylinder and didnt need to faff on with small solid pipes and brackets.

[Edited on 10/1/08 by DarrenW]

tks - 11/1/08 at 11:09 AM

quote:

Originally posted by RazMan

quote:
Originally posted by tks

It makes no difference whatever length the pipes are - you are still moving the same volume of fluid so the pressure is still the same.

This is wrong totally wrong.

The brake tube has resistance, and if one tube is longer it has more resistance.
every one knows that the longer the tube the more pressure you loose.

what generates the brake force is not the volume you move but the force you apply to the pistons and thats the pressure!
the pressure is calculated by the ratio

i'm with you that it wont make a huge difference but hey! it does make one!

sow if the resistance of the left part is 1 bar higher then the other side then before the fluid goes to the left you have applied 1 bar pressure on the right side of the wheel.

as easy as that!

Tks

NS Dev - 15/1/08 at 10:19 PM

TKS it will make no difference to braking, don't confuse the chap.

On cars with diagonal split braking systems the front lines are way shorter than the rears and there is no problem at all.