Board logo

M10 Bolts with Holes
edspurrier - 7/6/08 at 09:42 AM

HI - looking for some M10 bolts with wiring holes - after making a lot of heat and smoke trying to drill some myself, where can I buy a pair to finish my indicator extensions?
Thanks
Ed

worX - 7/6/08 at 10:12 AM

I made some for PaulMW for his SVA.

If you drop him a line to see if he's still got them you may get lucky!

Steve

Hellfire - 7/6/08 at 10:38 AM

My first question is why?

Any thread lock will do a more than adequate job - Loctite 242 is what we have used on most things as it is anti-vibration and allows for disassembly...

Quote from Website:
LOCTITE® 242® is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage from shock and vibration.
Suitable for applications on less active substrates such as plated surfaces, where disassembly with hand tools is required for servicing. The thixotropic nature of LOCTITE® 242 ® reduces the migration of liquid product after application to the substrate.

HTH - Steve

indykid - 7/6/08 at 10:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

Any thread lock will do a more than adequate job - Loctite 242 is what we have used on most things as it is anti-vibration and allows for disassembly...

Quote from Website:
LOCTITE® 242® is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage from shock and vibration.
Suitable for applications on less active substrates such as plated surfaces, where disassembly with hand tools is required for servicing. The thixotropic nature of LOCTITE® 242 ® reduces the migration of liquid product after application to the substrate.

HTH - Steve

eh? i'm confused.

is this in response to a different thread?
tom

Paul (Notts) - 7/6/08 at 10:56 AM

see other post

givemethebighammer - 7/6/08 at 11:10 AM

Get some mild steel ones from somewhere like B+Q, I drilled some out when I made my extensions for the SVA. I'd imagine drilling a high tensile bolt could be quite a task.

ps use cutting oil / grease and a slow drill speed too makes a real difference on the heat generated.

big_wasa - 7/6/08 at 12:02 PM

Where in the world are you I am sure some one local will give you a hand ?

Paul (Notts) - 7/6/08 at 12:11 PM

u2u me an address and I will post you a couple of m10 25mm long bolts with a 5mm hole drilled throught them.

Paul Rescued attachment new 025.jpg
Rescued attachment new 025.jpg

David Jenkins - 7/6/08 at 12:36 PM

Make sure that the thread pitch is correct - the M10 threads you get in B&Q and similar are metric coarse, which is what's most commonly used.

My indicators were M10 FINE, very roughly twice as many threads per cm (nearly said threads per inch!).

In other words - just check before you go out and buy anything.

grub - 7/6/08 at 12:54 PM

quote:

Quote from Website:

HTH - Steve
steve i dont think his on about lock wiring oare ?

Hellfire - 7/6/08 at 04:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by grub
quote:

Quote from Website:

HTH - Steve
steve i dont think his on about lock wiring oare ?

I know - but it's funny

Steve