Board logo

Reaming Sierra Up-right for Maxi Ball-joint
BigDawgV8 - 20/6/12 at 08:03 PM

Hi All,

I'm in need of some more advice from you.

I have a pair of Sierra up-rights and a pair of new Maxi lower ball-joints.

Question is what is the easiest/locost way of reaming the Sierra taper to take the Maxi joint?

I did this a few years back on a Pilgrim but can't for ther life of me remember how I did it......

Any advice appreciated.

Ta!

Martin

big_wasa - 20/6/12 at 08:16 PM

axminster sell a hand ream for about £6. It takes a little effort but it does the job and is cheap. Do a search and loads of info will pop up.

stevegough - 20/6/12 at 09:34 PM

link

Bluemoon - 21/6/12 at 08:53 AM

Just check the angle of the cheap reamer.. I think it's luck that is correct; they might change as well!.. The angle is critical.. Worth a go I would get one measure up only a few quid!

owelly - 21/6/12 at 09:08 AM

Just for info:
I have one of those (or similar) hand reamers and I use it for sheet/panel work. Its excellent for opening-up holes and deburring. However, out of curiosity, I tried it in a taper-holed suspension arm off a Mini and it was close, but not close enough. You could see it was starting to cut the wider part of the taper before the narrower part. The ball joint still fit and would pull up tight, but it wasn't quite right.

stevegough - 21/6/12 at 10:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Just for info:
I have one of those (or similar) hand reamers and I use it for sheet/panel work. Its excellent for opening-up holes and deburring. However, out of curiosity, I tried it in a taper-holed suspension arm off a Mini and it was close, but not close enough. You could see it was starting to cut the wider part of the taper before the narrower part. The ball joint still fit and would pull up tight, but it wasn't quite right.

You are probably right, Owelly - but loads of us have used this particular tool for the Maxi balljoint, and I haven't heard of anyone's working loose, etc. so maybe it isn't 100% perfect, but its near enough.

BigDawgV8 - 27/6/12 at 08:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
axminster sell a hand ream for about £6. It takes a little effort but it does the job and is cheap. Do a search and loads of info will pop up.

Hi,

Only just got around to this..................

I assume it's the 19mm reamer I need. Can someone confirm please?

Ta!

big_wasa - 27/6/12 at 08:48 PM

yes and I found it to be a perfect fit.

BigDawgV8 - 27/6/12 at 08:57 PM

Ta BW!

BigDawgV8 - 29/6/12 at 06:41 PM

Hi Guys,

Just to finish this post off.

Ordered the 19mm reamer wednesday night about 9pm and received it this morning. I can heartily recommend Axminster!

Reamed both up-rights out in half an hour this evening.

Job done.

Thanks guys