Board logo

damper set up, help please.
bennettimp - 28/3/14 at 11:10 AM

Hi guys, im due to run in a sprint on sunday, but due to various reason have not had time to test and set up my new protech double adjustable dampers yet. All im really asking for is a ball park setup that may be a good place to start, im still not going to be able to drive flat out due to the unknown, but its a 450kg car, the dampers have been valved accordingly and its rear engined with 250kg springs front, 350kg rear.

i have 13 clicks of adjustment, so just asking if any one has similar setup and could advise a good place to start without having been able to set them up on a test day.

cheers. Scott.

[Edited on 28/3/14 by bennettimp]

Ivan - 28/3/14 at 12:15 PM

I've removed what I said - use this.

http://www.dtmpower.com/documents/Howtosetupracecaradjustabledampers.pdf

Not having any track time and wanting some place to start I would say rather too soft than too hard so maybe one third of the way up from full soft on both bump and rebound. But proper testing is the way to go.

[Edited on 28/3/14 by Ivan]

pewe - 28/3/14 at 01:09 PM

Why not contact whoever supplied the units - they should have some idea.
If it was front engined I'd suggest mid point settings to start as you'll rapidly find out if they are too hard or too soft.
For front engined normally you need a couple of clicks difference (harder) towards the front to stop it porpoising at speed.
Whether that holds good for rear engined I can't say - maybe Matt at Procomp on here might be worth a quick call as he's pretty generous with his advice?
HTH.
Cheeers, Pewe10

scimjim - 28/3/14 at 03:45 PM

I'd start with them very soft - you need to feel what the springs are doing first, then steadily dial out the bump and rebound. Set them too high to start with and they could be fighting the springs not working with them.