Board logo

Vinyl wrapping dash
pekwah1 - 11/2/13 at 09:42 AM

Hi guys,

I've got this dash:

So any ideas how I might go about vinyl wrapping this without leaving creases everywhere?
I've wrapped a few items but only simple ones, looking at this is perplexing me!

Cheers
Andy

steve m - 11/2/13 at 10:16 AM

Andy

Clean it up and spray it black,

Much easier!!

Steve

pekwah1 - 11/2/13 at 10:22 AM

probably is the easier option, just couldn't be bothered to sand it down to a nice finish, plus i quite like the 3m carbon wrap stuff....

Slimy38 - 11/2/13 at 10:27 AM

You'd have to sand it down anyway to use vinyl, if the surface isn't perfectly smooth you'll get lumps and spots in the vinyl.

You could probably get away with using a top quality cast vinyl and simply heating it up to get it to conform to the curves. But the more I look at it the more I would err towards paint. You can't even separate it into manageable shapes as the carbon wrap really looks awful if you don't match up the joins.

pekwah1 - 11/2/13 at 10:33 AM

yeh that's what i was thinking....
oh well, sod it, looks like i'll sand and paint!

big-vee-twin - 11/2/13 at 10:52 AM

You should use 3M Di-Noc but not a copy the genuine stuff, doesn't get air bubbles and it is quite thick so covers minor scratches imperfections etc.

Done mine, the tunnel top and sides so far looks great.

[img] Gear Lever fitted
Gear Lever fitted
[/img]

[img] clocks
clocks
[/img]

pekwah1 - 11/2/13 at 11:08 AM

that's the stuff i already have.
Just not quite sure how the hell i would wrap the dash i have as it's quite a complex shape....

bi22le - 11/2/13 at 06:38 PM

is that a modified striker dash?

i have wrapped one of them. well tried to. ill get some photos up if i remember a bit later a write a little tips thing.

INDY BIRD - 11/2/13 at 07:03 PM

Classic dashboard form raw new is £60 is that too expensive?

If not I'm su bi22ie will have the answer

pekwah1 - 11/2/13 at 11:38 PM

it is a striker dash from some era that i've hacked apart a little....
Yes £60 is probably too much especially as i need to buy new rocker arms.....!

blakep82 - 12/2/13 at 12:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
You should use 3M Di-Noc but not a copy the genuine stuff

You mean he should use real carbon then?

I really dont like textured vinyl that doesnt look like carbon fibre, paint it black instead, it'll look better

loggyboy - 12/2/13 at 09:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
it is a striker dash from some era that i've hacked apart a little....
Yes £60 is probably too much especially as i need to buy new rocker arms.....!

You wil proabably spend £40 on a decent quality vinyl that will stretch and heat up nicely enough to cover the old dash.

and £30 on prep materials, primer and paint to do it that way.

[Edited on 12-2-13 by loggyboy]

bi22le - 12/2/13 at 12:37 PM

Hi,

I cant add additional photos but here is some inspiration:

carbon wrap dash distant
carbon wrap dash distant

It dont look quite as good as that as it has seen several long drives in the rain, hot and cold stretch shink but I am still happy with it overall.

Also this is with the cheaper non 3M stuff becasue I am tight and your dash does not have the upper ridge ubove the dash so will go a lot easier.

I do consider myself a pro at vinyl wrapping but the key ingrediant is patients!!

[Edited on 12/2/13 by bi22le]

[Edited on 12/2/13 by bi22le]

chrisni1986 - 3/7/13 at 07:20 PM

would you not consider flocking instead? better finish and no glare from sunlight as apposed to to what you would get from vinyl

loggyboy - 3/7/13 at 07:25 PM

I would hope he's finished as it was 5 months ago.

pekwah1 - 4/7/13 at 08:19 AM

haha, thanks but yeh just decided to spray it in the end, too much messing around!
I did try flocking but quite frankly did a terrible job....!

loggyboy - 4/7/13 at 09:12 AM

Tyically I noticed RAW were selling off a load of excess stock panels a few weeks back, including some dash panels.