Board logo

Fixing ali to steel without rivets
speedyxjs - 8/10/09 at 11:51 AM

Planning my bodywork and i am thinking about fixing ali sheets to a steel frame but dont want loads of rivets on show.

Is there any way to do this?

blakep82 - 8/10/09 at 11:56 AM

sikaflex i guess. i'd prefer rivets though (or both)

balidey - 8/10/09 at 11:56 AM

Velcro...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=121130

Or seriously, a high stength adhesive would do the job. Sikaflex have more than one product in their range, some of which will easily outperform rivets.

rj - 8/10/09 at 12:07 PM

I have not used any fixings on the sides of mine, just used screws along the top and bottom i.e. where top/ bottom bend over the chassis tubes. It works fine, and added advantage is that I can take the panels off without damage

speedyxjs - 8/10/09 at 12:08 PM

This isnt for the side panels btw. Its for a new style full size nose.

Miks15 - 8/10/09 at 12:25 PM

New style hey? whats it gunna look like? any pics?

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

speedyxjs - 8/10/09 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
New style hey? whats it gunna look like? any pics?

quote:

Trying to draw a rough sketch now but im no artist and it aint easy

It will probably incorporate MG/Mini style headlights but all the sketches i have done so far all look like a streched midget

omega0684 - 8/10/09 at 12:47 PM

for a nose cone i would recommend 2 rivnuts on either side

speedyxjs - 8/10/09 at 12:59 PM

This is a very rough drawing but it shows the idea.

The black line shows where the bonnet and the nose meet. Rescued attachment front end idea.JPG
Rescued attachment front end idea.JPG

blakep82 - 8/10/09 at 01:00 PM

quote:
all the sketches i have done so far all look like a streched midget

will it look like a normal size person then?

i got chatted up by a big midget once. she had the proprtions of a midget, but was normal size.

myke pocock - 8/10/09 at 08:22 PM

Permanantly fixing alluminium to steel. Clean the area absolutely perfectly and use VHB (Very High Bond) tape. Not cheap but if you use it correctly it will never come off. I had to remove a stainless steel sign about A4 size from a black 5mm acrylic panel and it needed a screwdriver to open up a gap then a hacksaw blade slipped into the gap to cut the tape out. Still took ages!!!

neilj37 - 10/10/09 at 04:24 AM

personally i think permanently fixing the panels instead of rivetting could cause problems at a future date if you ever needed to remove the panel for say access or it was damaged. its a lot easier to drill out rivets than remove adhesive.