Board logo

what stand alone ECU shall i go for ?
Arthur T - 2/4/07 at 10:19 PM

i am building a V8 kit car and want to put a ECU on it to get rid of the standard 3.9ltr ECU as it was designed for a 2 tonne lump not a little 7!

so i need some advice. i want to spend around 500 pounds what do people think what have people fitted?

Simon - 2/4/07 at 10:31 PM

If you're using a standard engine, the standard ecu should be fine.

If you wanna do something stoopid like me, I'll be going for Emerald.

ATB

Simon

Arthur T - 2/4/07 at 10:40 PM

how much do they go for ???

i thought they wew 680-700

Chippy - 2/4/07 at 10:56 PM

Megasquirt and spark, build your own, for half the emerald price. HTH Ray

Danozeman - 3/4/07 at 05:26 AM

If u have the standard one id use that. Much cheaper and ready to just fire up and run right.

If its set up to pull 2 tonne of beast then pulling your car along will be no trouble for it and will fly along.

zetec - 3/4/07 at 06:27 AM

Emerald very user friendly.

procomp - 3/4/07 at 07:15 AM

Hi without doubt EMERALD are one of the best and the help service as already said is outstanding. And are certinally whithin your budget. PRICE LIST.

cheers matt

[Edited on 3/4/07 by procomp]

bimbleuk - 3/4/07 at 07:30 AM

Alternatively an OMEX 600 series ECU which can do ign & fuel at no additional cost and the mapping and data logging software is free to download.

miegru - 3/4/07 at 07:37 AM

I'm a sucker for KMS. Very happy with it and their service.

Have experience with DTA and OMEX and KMS definetly beats them on both userfriendlyness, sturdyness and customer service.

Have not worked with Emerald but you have to look really close to hear anything negative so I assume that they are very good. I have seen their latest leaflet on their latest update and it looks very good indeed.

If you are a first with programmable ECU's I would go with either KMS or Emerald and decide based on the best 'click' with their people. Support you feel comfortable with is worth more than a small difference in buying price. IMO.

SeaBass - 3/4/07 at 08:38 AM

I'm in the process of installing an Emerarld ECU . I bought the unit unused secondhand and despite explaining this to the lovely lady at Emerald on the phone, she has gone out of her way to be of assistance to me.

So I can only vouch for the good customer service. I've had a good play with the software and it seems very easy to use. Likewise software and documentation can be downloaded fom the Emerals site free.

Cheers

Agriv8 - 3/4/07 at 08:42 AM

Running Vems 3.2.

For the simple reason that it can run spark directly from the coild drivers in the ECU the main Vems man in the UK 'rob' can be found here. Oh getting ot cheep second hand also swayed my decision.

http://www.vems.co.uk/

usses Megatune software but not the support group that MS has ( Yet !! )

Regards

Agriv8

rusty nuts - 3/4/07 at 06:04 PM

Another vote for Emerald here

stevebubs - 8/4/07 at 09:00 PM

Emerald here...even more so with the release of the K3 firmware and it's self-mapping capability for fuelling.