Board logo

vw transporter
dave107 - 17/9/11 at 09:07 PM

Can anyone help.

want to buy a vw transporter kombi tdi but having trouble finding one right age right price, but there are loads of transporter vans for sale right age right price if i bought one of these and fitted dark glass windows in the two sides at the back and fitted a row of seats and seat belts carpet what are the legalities ie; paperwork.

martin1973 - 17/9/11 at 09:20 PM

if its registerd as a van or minibus you can only travel at 50 on normal A road?
but register it as a camper/motorcaravan you can do 60?

DixieTheKid - 17/9/11 at 09:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by martin1973
if its registerd as a van or minibus you can only travel at 50 on normal A road?

Incorrect

DixieTheKid - 17/9/11 at 09:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dave107
Can anyone help.

want to buy a vw transporter kombi tdi but having trouble finding one right age right price, but there are loads of transporter vans for sale right age right price if i bought one of these and fitted dark glass windows in the two sides at the back and fitted a row of seats and seat belts carpet what are the legalities ie; paperwork.

Speak to you local vosa station for exact requirements.. I think as long as the chairs are bolted to the floor and seat belts fitted correctly your be ok unless taking over 8 people or paying customers. Your also need to look into the road tax as im sure that will vary.

austin man - 17/9/11 at 09:44 PM

Im doing exactly the same, but looking at one that has seats in the rear fitted from new, will then remove them and fit a rock and roll bed with seat belts. Plan is to convert to a camper.

As you say there are loads I personally am looking at the T5 with a minimum of 104 BHP apparently these map to 130 relatively easily. I have found insurance to be a problem a lot of companies expect you to take out comercial insurance which can cause problems with No claims transfer if you go back to a car

morcus - 18/9/11 at 06:02 AM

My dad had that when he had a truck as they'd only insure as commercial. You usually lose all or half of your NCD if you go back to a car.

Wouldn't tax be the same as it would still be a van just with more seats?

BigFaceDave - 18/9/11 at 08:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by austin man
I have found insurance to be a problem a lot of companies expect you to take out comercial insurance which can cause problems with No claims transfer if you go back to a car

I have my T4 insured with Just Kampers, my policy basically covers me to do what ever I want to the inside of the van from just keeping it as a standard panel van (which it is at the moment) to a full camper conversion or fit loads of seats etc what ever I want to do with it basically and it wont change the premium. Not only that it was very reasonble too! The first quote from them was £190 but I added a set of alloys and it only added £10 to the policy! Thats a non comercial policy with 16,000 miles a year and im 30 clean licence and live in a good postcode. They are worth a call, Also I was recommended brentacre who do a simular thing but worked out more expnsive for me.

Peteff - 18/9/11 at 08:51 AM

Is this kind of thing what you are after ?

dave107 - 18/9/11 at 07:28 PM

Thanks for feed back guys i think for now i am going to have a word with my local VOSA station just around the corner from me then depending on what they say decide were i am going to take it from there.

dinosaurjuice - 18/9/11 at 07:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DixieTheKid
quote:
Originally posted by martin1973

Incorrect

whats the correct answer?

austin man - 19/9/11 at 09:32 PM

Just been quoted by just campers £650 I would love to know how you managed quote of £190 im 45 clean licence 13 years NCB have you gone 3rd party only ?? when you say a nice area you dont live In Windsor by any chance