Board logo

is this legit?
metro6r4 - 13/5/13 at 06:52 PM

hi there im looking for a engine to rebuild ready for next season and i came across this advert it sounds doggey to me as i cant think of any reason why a race engine wouldn't have any numbers.

heres the advert

Yamaha yzf r1 4xv 1998-2000 engine ,no engine numbers due to being used as spare for track days and have now upgraded so surplus and must go as takeing up space ,exhaust header pipes intact and exup valve and cables,this engine runs well and is in good serviceable condition .

do you guys think its legit?

blakep82 - 13/5/13 at 07:00 PM

ford replacement 'crate' engines don't have numbers. i suspect bike ones won't either. only if they've been put into a bike in the factory. but if sold/bought seperately to build into a purpose race engine, then i can't think of why it would have a number?

every manufacturer might be different i guess, but is generally unusual, but i wouldn't say its definitely dodgy

gaz_gaz - 13/5/13 at 07:12 PM

I have a 4xv and a 5jj that are ideal candidates for winter rebuilds. All numbers etc intact.

metro6r4 - 13/5/13 at 07:16 PM

gaz_gaz were abouts are you and how much would you want for the 4xv? i think i am going to steer well clear of the one without engine numbers

Aaron_n_Sim - 13/5/13 at 08:10 PM

If you buy new engine casings from Yamaha, Honda any main dealer they come with no numbers!

Matt @ TDF - 13/5/13 at 08:19 PM

Most OEMs will not supply stamped castings if the parts are via their motorsport or similar division. Essentially in purchasing a "block" you are buying a component not a complete engine which would be ID'd as such.

metro6r4 - 13/5/13 at 09:00 PM

you would have some sort of paperwork surely so you could prove it isnt knicked.Hopefully i will be picking one up from gaz_gaz

Aaron_n_Sim - 13/5/13 at 09:03 PM

You'd only have a sales receipt, if i had to change my casings I'd stamp it with original engine no. from my log book and keep damaged casing!