Board logo

Mini Digger
ashg - 19/9/11 at 08:55 AM

off subject but lcb hasn't let me down yet.

does anyone know where i can hire a mini digger in kent. i have tried the typical places like hire station, hss, speedy etc. but the hire price seems a little extortionate.

ideally i would like it for a weekend. my estate has a tow-bar so i can pick up and drop back if required.

rgrs - 19/9/11 at 09:08 AM

What about H.E Services ? Its not going to be very cheap unless you can find a small local hire company.

Ony problem i can see is towing weight ? a small digger is about 1.5 t plus the trailer puts it way outside a car's towing weight. You will be into large 4x4 to legally tow it.

Most local companies will deliver and demo included in the hire costs.

Roger

tul214 - 19/9/11 at 09:33 AM

Not in Kent but when I looked to hire recently it worked out cheaper for me to hire a 'man with a digger'

He brought the digger, did the digging under my instruction (a lot quicker than I would have done it!) and then carted the 10 tons of soil away for a cheaper cost than I could have hired a digger and skips.

Mark

ashg - 19/9/11 at 10:06 AM

what did it cost out of interest? to be honest i have dug most of it by hand now, just getting fed-up digging by hand shoveling it into bags and trailering it down the tip. so far in two weekends work have gone down 16-17inches deep across a 25ftx25 ft plot. All i have left to do is dig two foot deep trenches all the way round for the foundations, but im feeling lazy.

tul214 - 19/9/11 at 10:11 AM

From memory the guy was £80 for half a day and then £12 per hour after that.
He took 10 tons of soil away (5 trips in his transit pickup) for £100.

catman - 19/9/11 at 02:52 PM

im a landscaper and use these all the time, we get ours for £50 a day, watch out for what they will charge you for diesel, might be cheaper if you nip to the garage with a jerry can and top it up.

Ed

tul214 - 19/9/11 at 04:52 PM

Ed, I could have had one on a mates account at those rates but they insist on insurance etc if you keep it over night.

If you do not have an account you are into £200 per day.

les g - 19/9/11 at 05:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ashg
off subject but lcb hasn't let me down yet.

does anyone know where i can hire a mini digger in kent. i have tried the typical places like hire station, hss, speedy etc. but the hire price seems a little extortionate.

ideally i would like it for a weekend. my estate has a tow-bar so i can pick up and drop back if required.

I would of foned a bloke i know who works for a company that does diggers and has a depot close to your house
DOH!!!lol

JoelP - 19/9/11 at 05:54 PM

i was under the impression that you need a license even on private land nowadays?