Board logo

Which R/C car for kids
swanny - 14/10/12 at 06:15 PM

Hello all,
Wondered if anyone could recommend a basic RC car for my four year old.
Bought him a lightening McQueen one last year which lasted just minutes
(Not through abuse just stopped working ) just wondered if anyone had any suggestions,
Or is he too young to get one for ?

Paul

gottabedone - 14/10/12 at 06:32 PM

My oldest boy started with one called a Tumbler - it was double sided and absolutely indestructible ;-) He also had a lego one which he loved. He's into Tamiya off road stuff now - it's funny that the more you pay they more fragile it is

Steve

SteveWalker - 14/10/12 at 08:03 PM

We've had a couple of cars and the kids just ram them into the walls, furniture, everything - at that age they can't cope with the speed of most RC cars (even kids ones) indoors. Unless they are mainly being used outdoors, get very slow cars - a tank is ideal!

turboben - 14/10/12 at 09:15 PM

I've got a rock crawler from model zone (£40) which is ideal for my 6 year old. Its fairly low geared, has good steering and will run on short grass. And it comes with a rechargeable battery.

DavidW - 14/10/12 at 09:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by turboben
I've got a rock crawler from model zone (£40) which is ideal for my 6 year old. Its fairly low geared, has good steering and will run on short grass. And it comes with a rechargeable battery.

Me too, perfect for a 5 year old onwards.

rf900rush - 15/10/12 at 06:38 AM

Second a rock crawler.

My 8 year old with disability's and poor eye sight has trouble e with any fast RC toys.
Tried a few cheap RC cars and just never worked well.

Ended up buying A maverick Scout Rock crawler. A bit expensive (£130) but very well made compared to the cheaper ones.
Very smooth and slow. Should last for years.
Only trouble he has a 6 year old sister who wants to drive it as well.

RickRick - 15/10/12 at 08:03 AM

there's a thread here about the same thing

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111072