Board logo

Marker pen removal
swanny - 28/5/13 at 05:01 PM

Hello all,

Our two year old has decided the draw all over our sofa in black marker pen, it wasnt a permanent marker as it came with a 'wipe ckean' book. Have had a couple if goes at washing with vanish etc but its not shifting. Any clever ideas from the locostbuilders collective brain?

At

Paul

morcus - 28/5/13 at 05:05 PM

What is the sofa made of?

doobrychat - 28/5/13 at 05:42 PM

brake cleaner is good if its cloth... gets all sorts of stains out of my jeans...

sarky comments welcome........

TimC - 28/5/13 at 05:44 PM

Acetone maybe? Try it underneath first to check it doesn't cause further havoc.

jossey - 28/5/13 at 05:52 PM

Plus 1 for brake cleaner

zetec - 28/5/13 at 06:05 PM

Lighter fluid (zippo lighter fuel) is also very good at stain and oil based marks.

flak monkey - 28/5/13 at 06:43 PM

Spray deoderant... not anti-perspirant.

mazie - 28/5/13 at 06:49 PM

2nd the zippo! Have the same mark to shift to the cream headlining off the other halfs car although that was her fault!

rusty nuts - 28/5/13 at 07:08 PM

Brake cleaner!

JoelP - 28/5/13 at 07:35 PM

Aftershave definitely works on leather, I had the same problem. It's also a nice harmless product to begin with.

scudderfish - 28/5/13 at 08:31 PM

Baby wipes?

swanny - 28/5/13 at 09:22 PM

Nothing seems to shift it, tried lighter fluid, alcohol gel, baby wipes, Even had the hand steamer on one section but it did very little. According to the Internet dry wipe markers are very hard to shift.

JoelP - 28/5/13 at 09:33 PM

aftershave?

Aaron_n_Sim - 28/5/13 at 09:38 PM

I second acetone! my missus's nail varnish remover gets rid of marker pen on all breaker bought parts, sharpies and just about anything I use!

coyoteboy - 29/5/13 at 12:37 AM

IPA? Deoderant worked on my paintwork but not sure it will help on a sofa.

DarrenW - 29/5/13 at 06:04 AM

Don't go mad on various garage solvents until you have tried bicarbonate of soda. Obviously test in an inconspicuous place first.

I used it to remove blood from a cream rug recently, unbelievably good. Strong mix with water, applied locally with a cloth, allowed to soak for a minute.

T66 - 29/5/13 at 06:21 AM

I write on acetate with permanent marker, to remove it I use a non permanent pen and scribble over it, which loosens it, then I wipe it off.

Please take plenty pictures for use at their 21st birthday party, good luck

matt_gsxr - 29/5/13 at 08:49 AM

wd40?

coyoteboy - 29/5/13 at 12:18 PM

quote:

I used it to remove blood from a cream rug recently, unbelievably good. Strong mix with water, applied locally with a cloth, allowed to soak for a minute.

Did the rug roll out flat again after?

CompoSimmonite - 2/6/13 at 08:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Baby wipes?

Baby wipes are good for cleaning car upholstery (I didn't believe it myself until I tried !) so get my vote as well.

paul h

CompoSimmonite - 2/6/13 at 08:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CompoSimmonite
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Baby wipes?

Baby wipes are good for cleaning car upholstery (I didn't believe it myself until I tried !) so get my vote as well.
If that doesen't work and it's a decent setee then contact your home contents insurer as they might be able to put you in touch with a professional cleaner to avoid having to pay out for a replacement.

paul h

jacko - 2/6/13 at 03:23 PM

WD 40 is good for removing glue so you never know it may remove ink as above try it first under the chair

spiderman - 2/6/13 at 04:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

Should lay flat again once the body has been disposed of, always worked for me.

Peteff - 2/6/13 at 05:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

It was only rolled up for a brief trip to the canal

edsco - 2/6/13 at 07:29 PM

Never tried it.....but WD40 is supposed to work very well. However it might make your sofa smell like the garage ;-)