Board logo

Hamilton faces Japan win inquiry
BenB - 4/10/07 at 12:53 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7027743.stm

Bernie and Max really don't want him to win do they?

stevec - 4/10/07 at 12:56 PM

Bloody whinging colonials again.

[Edited on 4/10/07 by stevec]

RickRick - 4/10/07 at 01:04 PM

i seem to remember him lewis saying something in an interview just after the race saying he found it hard to keep sight of the safty car, and was concerned about being hit from behind

Alez - 4/10/07 at 01:05 PM

Have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hWIfBkVQUk

Paul TigerB6 - 4/10/07 at 01:09 PM

"five car lengths" is a b!oody stupid rule in the wet anyway. The whole of F1 now is a total joke!! No thoughts of chucking Ferrari out for ignoring a direct order in not starting on the extreme wet tyres i see. If they want to look at dodgy stunts then look at M Schmacher over the years - how many times was he threatened with losing points for it??

Why didnt Moseley and his cronies just throw McClaren out if they were so determined to stop Lewis winning??

Bring back plans for the breakaway championship i recon!!

nib1980 - 4/10/07 at 01:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alez
Have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hWIfBkVQUk

there even trying to hide the evidence now too!

James - 4/10/07 at 01:19 PM

Video's been taken down...

James - 4/10/07 at 01:21 PM

That Monaco race a few seasons ago, when JPM drove into the back of M Schumacher in the tunnel...

that was when MS 'brake tested' him wasn't it?

Cheers,
James

BenB - 4/10/07 at 01:30 PM

I don't think that was under safety car conditions though was it?

I think the contentious bit here is whether Lewis was playing silly buggers behind the safety car....

James - 4/10/07 at 01:31 PM

Weber:
"Part of me wonders whether he showed a little bit of naivety, while part of me wonders whether he had a few tricks up his sleeve. I'd say it was probably a bit of both."

Yeah, I'm sure Hamilton was really bricking it with Mark '10 points' Webber behind him!!!

Dangle_kt - 4/10/07 at 01:33 PM

gotta do something to maintain the interest levels in F1, I bet they had more interest since all this crap started than they have in the last 5 years.

F1 will end up a joke, like wrestling - forced to rebrand as entertainment rather than sport.

Wanna see a brit SPORTSman doing well? watch World superbikes.

nige - 4/10/07 at 01:44 PM

// //

as above said

top man toseland

James - 4/10/07 at 01:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt

Wanna see a brit SPORTSman doing well? watch World superbikes.

Or Savate kickboxing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WadTkRxeE5A

TeamGB won 2 Silvers and 3 Bronze medals at the last World championships.

And I'm hoping for a Gold at the Europeans in Belgium beginning of next month!

Cheers,
James

Alez - 4/10/07 at 01:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James
Video's been taken down...

You would have flipped to it, honest. Let me see if the clip has been copied somewhere else.

Hammerhead - 4/10/07 at 01:51 PM

the s*17 won't stick to Hamilton. They are supposed to be racing drivers, why would he or any of them care about what goes on behind? they perhaps need to concentrate a little harder, or if they think Hamilton is driving erratically or dangerously they could have hung back a bit..............silly little boys.

Alez - 4/10/07 at 01:51 PM

Copied..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QJurnfxRm4

Watch it NOW!

BenB - 4/10/07 at 01:56 PM

You would have thought if there was any investigating to be done it would be against Ferrari for pulling someone into the pit and then doing diddly squit just so they can let their other driver pass.....

It is strange on the video though, it looks like he loses drive quite suddenly for a while... Perhaps it was wet and his foot slipped off the pedal....

Hammerhead - 4/10/07 at 01:56 PM

maybe Hamilton saw Vettel coming and moved to the outside, but Webber didn't see and got collected.

Alez - 4/10/07 at 01:58 PM

Clip is quite revealing, I think it shows pretty much this sequence:

1. Hamilton gets side by side with safety car

2. Cars behind accelerate as a consequence (probably they can't see the safety car themselves)

3. Hamilton brakes

4. Car following him realizes he's gone PAST Hamilton and brakes to try and avoid that

5. Car behind crashes into it as a consequence

James - 4/10/07 at 02:05 PM

Cheers for the 2nd vid Alex.

It does look a little dodgy in that video, he clearly is more than 5 car lengths from the safety car from about 6.5-7secs into the vid.

But then again from the link in the 1st post:
"German driver Vettel echoed Webber's comments in criticising Hamilton.

"It was my fault, but it is clear the rhythm was not there," he said.

"We are all sitting in the same boat. At the point [of the crash) I was distracted, looking to the right.

"I was sure Hamilton was retiring, he seemed to have no power any longer, but by the time I looked back, I was already in Mark's rear end."

"Distracted looking to the right.... by the time I looked back, I was already in Mark's rear end"

Christ! I hope they don't take point off him!

If they hand the season to that little tit Alonso I'll give up on F1!

[Edited on 4/10/07 by James]

[Edited on 4/10/07 by James]

Hammerhead - 4/10/07 at 02:23 PM

maybe they should paint the 'safety' car a suitable colour to make it visible in the possible conditions where a 'safety' car might be needed.......but hey I'm sure that the FIA are getting a nice sum for letting Mercedes use their cars in their corporate (Silver Arrows) colours. After all Mosely has certain German connections.

BenB - 4/10/07 at 02:36 PM

If Max was sponsored by Mercedes though he probably wouldn't have shat all over McLaren though on behalf of Ferrari.........

Alez - 4/10/07 at 02:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead
maybe they should paint the 'safety' car a suitable colour to make it visible in the possible conditions where a 'safety' car might be needed.......

+1, Gulf / Le Mans color scheme just like your avatar would be nice and lot more useful Grey is a bit stupid!

thunderace - 4/10/07 at 03:03 PM

here is the thing your all missing if they do lewis they would have to do evryone who has been more than 5 cars behind the safty car year ,
the safty car slows very slow then floors in when it sees him at there side window look closely.i dont like lewis and i can see its not his fault if anyones its the safty cars fault.

Duncan_P - 4/10/07 at 03:27 PM

Yes the safety car does seem to slow down rather a lot, and then takes a rather strange line through the corner before resuming its faster pace...

Hamilton avoids the safety car rather than stamping on his brakes, which seems to be a sensible thing to do. Although admitidly he does seem to take a while to get back on the gas...(probably wondering what the two behind him are up to)

Alez - 4/10/07 at 03:27 PM

Now, if he is fined, would you say:

1. It's because FIA decided he diserved it.

2. It's so we have a more interesting end of the season.

3. It's in return for Alonso giving FIA evidence on McLaren stealing IP from Ferrari.

jollygreengiant - 4/10/07 at 05:50 PM

So Farieland Alonso says he thought Hamilton drove dangerously. Then one must assume that it is perfectly OK to take a blatant side swipe at someone and force them off the road rather than loose position out of a corner. As witnessed in the previous race.

I cannot help but think that some penalty will be handed down by the FIA to Hamilton. (If only because he was unable to contribute to the condemnation of (Sir) Ron Dennis.

Catpuss - 4/10/07 at 05:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James
That Monaco race a few seasons ago, when JPM drove into the back of M Schumacher in the tunnel...

that was when MS 'brake tested' him wasn't it?

Cheers,
James

Yep under the saftey car goign round a bend too in the tunnel. Was rather amusing.

bob - 4/10/07 at 06:56 PM

At 1st i couldnt understand why this should come to light now, but after realising who supply engines ro red bull racing and torro rosso i can see a cunning plan

Plus the fact max doesnt like lewis

omega 24 v6 - 4/10/07 at 07:05 PM

quote:

Plus the fact max doesnt like lewis

Thats cause he's English (sorry British) and black. You can't be both( in Max's eyes )I suspect due to his tainted past.
The whole scenario stinks does it not?? I predict the F1 champions of 2008 will be Ferrari. Any one who dares to compete closely against them will be the subject of an inquiry and suitably penalised.

smart51 - 4/10/07 at 07:12 PM

Perhaps if the safety car wasn't painted the colour of road spray, rain, fog and overcast skies it might be more visible.

craig1410 - 4/10/07 at 08:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
here is the thing your all missing if they do lewis they would have to do evryone who has been more than 5 cars behind the safty car year ,
the safty car slows very slow then floors in when it sees him at there side window look closely.i dont like lewis and i can see its not his fault if anyones its the safty cars fault.

I don't think they will charge him under that rule, there is another rule about erratic driving under the safety car which I think he is well and truly guilty of. In my opinion I think he should be dropped two places and therefore lose 4 points from Fuji AND get a 10 place grid penalty for the next race. Given Mark Webber's pace at Fuji I think he would have easily got past Hamilton after the safety car pulled in.

As for Hamilton complaining about Webber being too close, that's rubbish! There is no rule about minimum distance behind the safety car and if he was worried about getting rear ended then he shouldn't have been brake-testing those behind him!

I really hope they throw the book at him as he still needs to come down off his cloud. Sorry but that's the way I feel - he's had too much too soon and it's gone to his head.

Craig.

cossey - 4/10/07 at 08:29 PM

Hamilton's driving was very dubious. the safety car takes a cautious line through the corner but does so in a fairly predicable way, hamilton was going far too quick and pulls wide rather then go into the safety car and that cause webber to brake to try and keep behind him and avoid a penalty for overtaking and vettel went into him. it showed a lack of experience and it is a bit worrying from a very nearly world champion or more for the lack of serious competition.

Paul TigerB6 - 4/10/07 at 08:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by craig1410

I really hope they throw the book at him as he still needs to come down off his cloud. Sorry but that's the way I feel - he's had too much too soon and it's gone to his head.

Craig.

Would you rather see Alonso be crowned as champion then?? You know, that guy who has thrown all his toys out of the pram, and his dummy too because McClaren wouldnt give him preferential treatment as he was unable to match Hamilton out on the track for consistency. Alonso has made so many mistakes this year (Canada etc) in order to try and keep up so last thing i'd want to see is him winning it!!

If you'd rather throw the book at the best talent to come out of this country in years and cost him the world championship for what was probably down to a lack of experience and naivity then i think thats pretty sad really. With the positions of the cars at the time I cant imagine that Hamilton set out to cause a crash at all.

Peteff - 4/10/07 at 08:54 PM

However, British motorsport great Sir Stirling Moss said to blame Hamilton for Webber and Vettel's crash was "absolutely ridiculous".

He told BBC 5live: "I think they feel it will better to take the championship to the last race. It could be a real blow for Hamilton."

Choreographing the championship to suit their own ends is not going to do them any favours and if Alonso does win it will be a hollow victory.

rusty nuts - 4/10/07 at 09:02 PM

Looks very much to me like Webber was braking to avoid the safety car?

JUD - 4/10/07 at 10:07 PM

quote:

Craig.

Too much, too soon...

How does that work?

He has been associated with McLaren for over 10 years, has come up thru the ranks and has earnt his position in the team. He has raced at least as fairly as everybody else on the grid, only been off the podium a handful of times.

Is any of this thru his own ability - or purely because he is lucky?

Why do we always knock people that achieve in this country?

Too much, too soon... pardon him for being competitive and extremely good at what he has been doing for years.

JoelP - 4/10/07 at 10:49 PM

yeah, bollox to that. You're not allowed to win first seaon?

Paul TigerB6 - 5/10/07 at 01:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Perhaps if the safety car wasn't painted the colour of road spray, rain, fog and overcast skies it might be more visible.

Now what colour would you suggest for next season??? How about a nice Ferrari Rosso red colour?? Thats nice n visible - just ask Max - he cant see anything but that colour for some reason

mookaloid - 5/10/07 at 04:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
quote:

Craig.

Would you rather see Alonso be crowned as champion then?? You know, that guy who has thrown all his toys out of the pram, and his dummy too because McClaren wouldnt give him preferential treatment as he was unable to match Hamilton out on the track for consistency. Alonso has made so many mistakes this year (Canada etc) in order to try and keep up so last thing i'd want to see is him winning it!!

If you'd rather throw the book at the best talent to come out of this country in years and cost him the world championship for what was probably down to a lack of experience and naivity then i think thats pretty sad really. With the positions of the cars at the time I cant imagine that Hamilton set out to cause a crash at all.

Just have a look at where Craig1410 comes from............ says it all really - Many (not all) Scots like to bash the English whenever they can. e.g. if England are playing rugby the Scots generally support the opposition....

Cheers

Mark

Paul TigerB6 - 5/10/07 at 04:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

Just have a look at where Craig1410 comes from............ says it all really - Many (not all) Scots like to bash the English whenever they can. e.g. if England are playing rugby the Scots generally support the opposition....

Cheers

Mark

Never looked at that!!
Dunno why but when it comes to F1 i look upon it as Hamilton, Button, Davidson and COULTHARD - the 4 British drivers and support them all.