Board logo

ZX9R Bike Carbs
skibum - 22/2/09 at 09:44 PM

Hi All

Need some help from those with some bike carb experiance,

Have just fitted a set of zx9r carbs to my 2l pinto, went to fire the engine up today and she turns over but doesn't fire. I have spark at the plugs and fuel is being pumped to the carbs.

Could it be that the carbs are getting too much fuel as i've read they only need around 3 psi. Also noticed there are two fuel inlets/outlets on the bottom of the barbs is one of these the feed and one the return?, if one is the return can this just be blanked off or do i need to run back to the tank.

Could be a stupid question but should this type of setup have a choke?

Any help would be much appreciated as i'm stuck

Cheers matt

jacko - 22/2/09 at 09:48 PM

Hi and welcome
Wich model zx9r carbs have you ? some have 2 in pipes and some only have 1
you are best using a bike fuel pump
Jacko

skibum - 22/2/09 at 09:56 PM

hi there

Tks for the warm wlecome

I have the ones with two inlets by the looks of it, only one of these has a fuel supply at the meoment the other one is blanked off. will this make a diggerance?

Tks

Matt

jacko - 22/2/09 at 10:00 PM

I would say yes if the carbs are made with two then i would use them both if you look in my photos under zx9r / manifold you will see my carbs which are E model i think you have c /or b's

David Jenkins - 22/2/09 at 10:01 PM

As hinted at above - make sure that you're putting fuel into the correct pipes! Several people on this forum had been trying to put it into vent pipes...

Many people who use bike carbs also use a fuel pump from a similar-sized bike. It supplies the right amount of petrol at the right pressure (which can be as little as 1.5 - 2.0 psi BTW). Bike carbs don't usually have a return pipe as the float valves stop the petrol flow, at which point the pump stops pumping.

skibum - 22/2/09 at 10:21 PM

Tks for the info guys

Will tee off the fuel supply and connect both pipes, I have a fuel regulator in line will check the psi output and dial down if required and then see if she starts

Cheers

Matt

Paul TigerB6 - 22/2/09 at 11:50 PM

As above, try reducing the fuel pressure to 2psi max (1.5psi better) as it sounds like your pressure is too high at the moment.

skibum - 23/2/09 at 09:08 AM

Hi All

Think I might have made a school boy error here,

I have the fuel supply connected to what would have been the inlets for the water cooling when the carbs where fitted to the bike, have now found out that the fuel inlet is in the middle of the carb bank.

You learn something new everyday

Cheers

Matt

Danozeman - 23/2/09 at 09:51 AM

quote:

I have the fuel supply connected to what would have been the inlets for the water cooling

That wont help. U need the 2 pipes that link the carbs together for fuel as youv found out.

Have u got it running now>?

David Jenkins - 23/2/09 at 12:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skibum
I have the fuel supply connected to what would have been the inlets for the water cooling when the carbs where fitted to the bike, have now found out that the fuel inlet is in the middle of the carb bank.

You're not the first, and you won't be the last...

vinnievector - 23/2/09 at 03:33 PM

Hi, the guy s got there before me with the bike petrol pump .
How ever the set up i have is a Facet interrupter pump near to the tank and a flow control near to the carbs seems to work well.
On the float bowls you should have a small allen cap head srew you can undo this to check each bowl has filled .
I was told to screw in the air screws on the four bodies then turn out 2 half to three turns . this should put you in the ball park for starting . and if you have not done so yet you need to drill out your main jets to 1.6 to start with for 2ltr pinto.

skibum - 24/2/09 at 08:18 AM

Hi all

Tks for all the help and info

Removed the fuel feed from the water inlet on the carbs and connected correctly and the engine nearly started which is a good sign. I have a feeling the battery wasn't up too the job as the car hasn't been started for a month or so.

Cheers

Matt

andicle0 - 10/3/09 at 10:28 PM

Hi guys, any pictures of the fuel pipe on a zx9r carb setup. Is it top or bottom? And what do you do with the coolant pipe?

I just knew I should have put that V8 in the thing.

Cheers.

Andi.

quote:
Originally posted by skibum
Hi all

Tks for all the help and info

Removed the fuel feed from the water inlet on the carbs and connected correctly and the engine nearly started which is a good sign. I have a feeling the battery wasn't up too the job as the car hasn't been started for a month or so.

Cheers

Matt