Board logo

Supercharging & Bike Throttle bodies
omega0684 - 30/8/09 at 07:20 PM

How would you go about Supercharging an engine on Bike Throttle bodies? obviously you would need supercharger, intercooler, plenum etc, but would the throttle boddies need any special modification etc?

jpindy3 - 30/8/09 at 07:48 PM

i shouldnt think they would,so long no boost can leak out.

BenB - 30/8/09 at 07:48 PM

Depends how much boost you're planning on going for. Lots of TBs will take a little boost but most will leak if you go for big PSI.

I've gone for a single RS Turbo TB (ie something designed to take boost)....

imp paul - 30/8/09 at 07:49 PM

my pals got a tts charger on his zx14r running 6 psi only mods are block spacer that's it works fine

blakep82 - 30/8/09 at 07:58 PM

i've always wondered how difficult it would be to enclose all the TBs (maybe easier with carbs) in a ali airbox which is all underpressure with filtered air inside, so the pressure is the same inside and outside the carbs

mark chandler - 30/8/09 at 08:23 PM

The only air leak that I have noticed is on the idle bypass on my 954 blade TB's, beyond that its a straight tube with butterflies and injectors pointing in.

The idle bleeds air from around the mouth of the trumpets, I just use the butterflies to regulate idle now when warm, cut off the cold idle bit that was a stat thing.

Regards Mark

jpindy3 - 30/8/09 at 08:53 PM

i half made a plenum for my zx9r carbs,
i was having trubble trying to get it air tight around the trumpets.
if you can weld have a go at making a plenum with a single tb

r1bob - 30/8/09 at 09:36 PM

You need to get in touch with ,, swalf3,, a member on here, he's got a Cateram R1 super charged, he would put you in the right ball park!! using a rotrex and a bit of fabrication done it for a reasonable budget!! must get in touch with him and go and see it for my self.